Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 10:36   #16
BHPian

Please let the Connection stay as it is, it is the best connection possible at this time.All manufactures recommend that both coils be connected at all times, connecting only one coil may be harmful.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:45   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
Please let the Connection stay as it is, it is the best connection possible at this time.All manufactures recommend that both coils be connected at all times, connecting only one coil may be harmful.
arey baba I think we cleared this...
most manufacturers are afraid that if people connect only one voice coil the T/S specs will change and the user will blame the manufacturer for supplying wrong specs however other than the fact that the Qts changes there is no harm.

I am not good at google but since I knew the background I found this. I cannot find Mike Dzurko's statements on the same topic. The gurus who are good at google might be able to (if they have been puiblished). Mike told me this over the phone when ACI was still a small company.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dual...oilDrivers.pdf
Old 27th August 2009, 11:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... (with one voice coil shorted) ...
Navin, look closely - it is a (rather artistically drawn but technically confusing) diagram with simple series connection of the VCs! Even I thought one VC was shorted.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Navin, look closely - it is a (rather artistically drawn but technically confusing) diagram with simple series connection of the VCs! Even I thought one VC was shorted.
DA, which diagram you are referring to? The one posted by DjNik is wrong as he has mistaken the sub as 2ohm DVC.
Old 27th August 2009, 13:01   #20
BHPian

Though I had mistaken yor sub as a 4ohm DVC the diagram posted earlier still stands correct as it is a simple series connection.Here is a simpler pic-
Attached Thumbnails
4 ohm DVC sub and JBL 1004-series.jpg  

Old 27th August 2009, 13:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
Though I had mistaken yor sub as a 4ohm DVC the diagram posted earlier still stands correct as it is a simple series connection.Here is a simpler pic-
I got it correct DjNik and my sub is connected in this way right now.

But now I got one more way to try as navin explained. In that way I can provide 4ohm load to the amp and utilize it completely .
Old 28th August 2009, 08:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
arey baba I think we cleared this...
most manufacturers are afraid that if people connect only one voice coil the T/S specs will change and the user will blame the manufacturer for supplying wrong specs however other than the fact that the Qts changes there is no harm.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dual...oilDrivers.pdf
That's a beatifully written article. It has so much depth but still is easy to understand. Thanks Navin for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
But now I got one more way to try as navin explained. In that way I can provide 4ohm load to the amp and utilize it completely .
Please correct me if I have understood incorrectly - you will bridge the two channels of your amp and will power one VC of your sub with that bridged power. Each VC is 4 Ohms and so it would be match. And you would be able to pump 320RMS to the Sub. Correct?

Please do share your feedback with us. And thanks for raising these questions. I have learnt something new and interesting.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Please correct me if I have understood incorrectly - you will bridge the two channels of your amp and will power one VC of your sub with that bridged power. Each VC is 4 Ohms and so it would be match. And you would be able to pump 320RMS to the Sub. Correct?

Please do share your feedback with us. And thanks for raising these questions. I have learnt something new and interesting.
Yes anant, that is what I am planning for. I have to keep gain at 0 level since one VC is rated as 300Wrms (600Wrms DVC, so each coil is 300W).

I will install the clarion and this sub configuration next week, so will update all of you after that.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Yes anant, that is what I am planning for. I have to keep gain at 0 level since one VC is rated as 300Wrms (600Wrms DVC, so each coil is 300W).

I will install the clarion and this sub configuration next week, so will update all of you after that.
Yeah, on the amp there's marking for 6V. The Clarion has 6V pre-out and so you can keep the gain at 6V. But still you will be providing 320 RMS to the VC. So if you feel the Sub is boomy, you can reduce the non fader gain from the HU.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Yeah, on the amp there's marking for 6V. The Clarion has 6V pre-out and so you can keep the gain at 6V. But still you will be providing 320 RMS to the VC. So if you feel the Sub is boomy, you can reduce the non fader gain from the HU.
Yes I will do that and hope the VC can take 320Wrms. Another thing remaining is the polyfilling of the enclosure, but dont know how effective it is for a sealed enclosure.

Please advice the effectiveness of polyfilling a sealed box for better SQ .
Old 28th August 2009, 16:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Another thing remaining is the polyfilling of the enclosure, but dont know how effective it is for a sealed enclosure.
I am too grappling to find answer to this question. Gurus please help.

Only thing I have understood about polyfill is that it creates an illusion of larger volume. I want to experiment with it soon. As the actual volume of the Sub will not change I feel the only difference would be to tonal quality of sound and may give an impression of deeper bass. But I need to put it in and experience what it really is.
Old 28th August 2009, 17:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Polyfill is generally added to the enclosure to make the sub feel that the enclosure is bigger
Old 28th August 2009, 19:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Polyfill is generally added to the enclosure to make the sub feel that the enclosure is bigger
Addition to that it depends on how much you add in. Adding as little as 10ounce around an inch on the inside wall of the enclosure also helps cutting down the standing waves and resonance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks