Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 23:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Best way to copy Downloaded music to CD for ICE

Hello everyone,

I have a samll question. I download most of my music from Ares and copy them to either to Ipod or to CD's. So now my question is, which would be the best way to copy that music to CD in order to get MAX out of that. I mean to say is if i copy it in MP3 format, then it would either be in there original foramt (190 to 320Kbs). Since we spend so much on our ICE equipments, what do you guys think would be the best way to copy the downloaded music to CD. Reason being that i have converted them to CD in there original format (ranging from 190 to 320Kbit) to VBR format.
So if i have a CD downloaded in 320Kbit from net, how do i convert it to CD in the best way possible way so that i can have the MAX out of it in my car ICE's.
Old 1st September 2009, 00:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

its better to leave music in the format you download it / rip it.
Upconverting might lead to worse quality than the source file. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :-)
Yes, if you want to rip music from Audio CDs, rip to FLAC using dbpoweramp, and to play the same in your cars, Rip to ALAC/ 320 kbps.
Old 1st September 2009, 08:49   #3
BHPian

I use CdEx ripper (Open source) to rip to 320Kbps VBR with the slowest speed to acheive a good quality.

DBPoweramp is also a wonderful program. I shuffle between DBPA and CDEX depending on the kind of songs I want to convert/rip

However, there are some songs that have certain sound frequencies that dont play well when ripped to any format. I end up buying the ACD.
Old 1st September 2009, 08:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

keep it in the original format, as long as your HU can play that. conversion will probably only make it worse.

Try to find 320kbps mp3's as far as possible
Old 1st September 2009, 09:18   #5
BHPian

Exactly as others posted. If you have downloaded in an already lossy format (MP3), you can't do much about it! That will be the best quality you can have. If your HU can handle MP3s, leave it at that.

Last edited by the_maassk : 1st September 2009 at 09:19.
Old 1st September 2009, 10:18   #6
BHPian

I've read on several places that aac or eac files give better sound quality for a given bit rate (say 128kbps). Has anybody verified in a car environment?
Old 1st September 2009, 12:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

To avoid storing various number of CDs in my car, I opted for an iPod which coulb be directly connected and controlled by my headunit (Pioneer 6950). Recently I dropped my iPod which damaged the display so had to give it for repairs. In this time I went back to CDs and the difference in sound and clarity was amazing as compared to that through the iPod. Can this quality of sound be reproduced through a certain format through an iPod?
Old 1st September 2009, 12:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

To avoid storing various number of CDs in my car, I opted for an iPod which coulb be directly connected and controlled by my headunit (Pioneer 6950). Recently I dropped my iPod which damaged the display so had to give it for repairs. In this time I went back to CDs and the difference in sound and clarity was amazing as compared to that through the iPod. Can this quality of sound be reproduced through a certain format through an iPod?
As far as i know the itunes usually converts the mp3s to aac and then stores them on ipod. May be this multi convertion is causing the loss.

But in all times the ACD/lossless definetly has a lot of difference compared to compressed formats
Old 1st September 2009, 14:50   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
As far as i know the itunes usually converts the mp3s to aac and then stores them on ipod.
I would assume that the ipod be MP3 capable and it is WMA files that are converted to MP3/AAC for the ipod.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I would assume that the ipod be MP3 capable and it is WMA files that are converted to MP3/AAC for the ipod.

Yes, maybe. The mp3 to aac is my assumption.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:04   #11
BHPian

Navin, what's your take on aac format? Is it preferable to MP3 for ripping (many HUs support aac and MP3 both, some even WMA).
Old 1st September 2009, 15:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

some Ipod connected HU's use the Ipod's analog out

were the settings on the CD and the Ipod input the same (eq etc)?
Old 1st September 2009, 15:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Just when i was experiencing problem copying my music to CD for Car ICE.

I copied regular MP3 formats to a CD using the windows Vista's own burn program and they dont play on my ICE.

I am thinking of re-burning them using NERO, will that rectify the problem?
Old 1st September 2009, 15:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Navin, what's your take on aac format? Is it preferable to MP3 for ripping (many HUs support aac and MP3 both, some even WMA).
The AAC format is pretty good. I have compared AAC 320k rips to MP3s made with APE on EAC/LAME and there is little to choose. However AAC supports multichannel and higher sampling rates so I assume that if you rip SACDs you mgiht be better off using AAC.

Remember no compressed format will compare will with a good lossless format. Also most compressed formats will sound pretty close at the same bit rates (for example MP3 192k vs AAC 192k). Also VBR most often yeilds better quality than CBR and most definitely yeilds better quality per MB than CBR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Yes, maybe. The mp3 to aac is my assumption.
Nope I menat Ipods can play MP3s but Itunes converts WMA to AAC/MP3 for ipods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
some Ipod connected HU's use the Ipod's analog out
Ipods either use the line out or headphone out. DAC out is not available out of the box (unless you use products like Red Wine). Besides for car audio who would want to mess with an external DAC for what is really a compressed audio format. However I will reserve the final judgement on this only adfter I listen to a Wadia 170 (opinions of respeted ears forces me to).

Last edited by navin : 1st September 2009 at 15:38.
Old 1st September 2009, 16:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Just when i was experiencing problem copying my music to CD for Car ICE.

I copied regular MP3 formats to a CD using the windows Vista's own burn program and they dont play on my ICE.

I am thinking of re-burning them using NERO, will that rectify the problem?
Don't use the inbuilt burning app. I never do. I suppose it would be trying to convert your MP3s to Audio CD but without the appropriate codecs, would be failing. ImgBurn is a good app you can use (Free). Nero is good. Just make sure you burn it as a Data CD and not an Audio CD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks