Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 21:46   #1
BHPian

Boston Acoustics component speakers.

how good are they? any reviews?

Boston Acoustics SC60 and Boston Acoustics SR60 are priced on par with JBL GTO, Illusion Electra, Hertz Deici/Energy series.

their specifications are availabe here:

Boston Acoustics - Mobile Audio - Products

Old 3rd September 2009, 23:16   #2
BHPian

i have boston comps in my wagonr. was set up by sathya-blueraven in bangalore.

sounds good

(i am not a technical guy. but went ahead with sathyas suggestion.)
Old 4th September 2009, 00:14   #3
BHPian

Been using it in my Corolla for about a year now. Very warm sounding components. Recommended by Satya.

I own the S60 by the way. The link seems like the new series. Must be just as good. Go for them if you think JBL's are too bright.
Old 4th September 2009, 00:27   #4
BHPian

My Swift has S60 components in the front and S65 Coaxials in the back. The components are pretty good. Not too impressed with the coaxials, though. I would go for the JBLs if they are similarly priced.
Old 4th September 2009, 01:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Might be out of place to discuss this, but the quality of Boston Acoustics is something different. With reference to a home theater system we got 10 years ago (and still use it everyday, in fact), we've had a superb experience using BA components.Highly recommend it. A friend of mine had a BA system in his Gypsy,and it sounded like pure nirvana when he's crank the volume up.Don't remember the details of the system,though.
Old 4th September 2009, 11:08   #6
Team-BHP Support

BA makes good products only their current official Indian prices are not VFM.
Old 4th September 2009, 11:32   #7
BHPian

thanks everyone. navin, would you prefer BA over JBL GTO 608c and Hertz DSK 165, ESK 165 ?
Old 4th September 2009, 17:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
BA makes good products only their current official Indian prices are not VFM.
Exactly! I got a good deal on the Bostons in Jan'08, but when I do upgrade, it will probably be to JBLs. Hopefully, sometime next year.
Old 4th September 2009, 18:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
thanks everyone. navin, would you prefer BA over JBL GTO 608c and Hertz DSK 165, ESK 165 ?
I have only heard the BA Pro series and they are quite good but much more expensive that JBL GTO or Hertz DSK/ESK series.When I heard the Boston Pro 6" componets against the Alpine SPX series I prefered the Bostons. I found the Alpine a bit more forward than the Bostons. Other options in this pricde range would the Infinity Kappa Perfect or DLS Reference.

Last edited by navin : 4th September 2009 at 18:48.
Old 4th September 2009, 19:01   #10
BHPian

any idea on the pricing, I am planning to get some good speakers for my Dzire Vdi tomorrow (5th Sept,09). The Stock speakers are not that great.
Old 4th September 2009, 21:05   #11
BHPian

thank you navin. somehow i missed out on Infinity. i don't know about the availability of DLS in cochin.

although i'm happy with my current setup with JBL GTO 607c, i want to try some other entry level component speakers this time. i find them to be crisp/metallic or 'bright' as they say here in the forum and i want something less bright this time. i saw BA range of loudspeakers at the shop i frequent, and became curious.

maybe i'll wait for more feedback and if it turns out to be not favourable towards BA then maybe i can go in for Hertz, which are proven here in the forum.

Last edited by vishnuvijay : 4th September 2009 at 21:09.
Old 5th September 2009, 11:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Hertz DSK 165 and Boston S60 are priced similar, both sound decent, I have not tested the pro series speakers yet, so cannot comment. Personally think both Hertz and Boston have their own good qualities, it boils down to what who likes. Would suggest one to give it a listen to both before deciding as long as they are available together.
Old 5th September 2009, 11:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
The Hertz DSK 165 and Boston S60 are priced similar, both sound decent...Personally think both Hertz and Boston have their own good qualities, it boils down to what who likes.
there there a Guru has spoken. Blue, how do they compare to say Infinity or DLS products in the same price range?
Old 16th September 2009, 15:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
how good are they? any reviews?

Boston Acoustics SC60 and Boston Acoustics SR60 are priced on par with JBL GTO, Illusion Electra, Hertz Deici/Energy series.

their specifications are availabe here:

I have the Boston S60 installed in my palio. I had them in the stock locations but wasn't getting the sound I was looking for due to multiple factors:
1. The tweets in the stock locations were firing away from me and being obstructed by the dash.
2. Pathetic Kenwood 8401 amp.
3. Stock location was not ideal for the mid woofer

I did the following changes and now they're slowly getting there.
1. Installed the midbasses in a kickpanel (is that what its called?) - outside the stock location.
2. Installed the tweets just beside the mid woofers for better imaging
3. Junked the 8401 and put in a Boston GT50 (only for a few days though)
4. Stopped using crappy mp3s.

Boy do these sing now!

Here's what I have noticed about these speakers:
They kick like a mule. Midbass a plenty
High frequecies are pretty smooth and not harsh but they're rolled off and sometimes not very detailed - best to keep them on axis.

They're pretty nice when powered by the headunit but perform best when fed with plenty of power to really make them do stuff. Ideally feed them rated power but overpowering is not a bad idea at all as long as the amp doesn't clip.

And at this price point I'd pick them over pretty much everything including HERTZ Deici series which I personally found to be quite harsh on the higher frequency. Haven't heard Illusions so I won't compare them.

A great buy overall

Oh, and I'd stay away from the new ones. Not conformed yet, but they're apparently Philips drivers housed in Boston clothing.
I have my flame suit on

Last edited by wannabe loser : 16th September 2009 at 15:22. Reason: Addition to the post
Old 18th September 2009, 15:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have a pair of S60 and it performs good. tweeters do get noisy at higher frequency compares to infinity but for 4k its worth the price. the price through your post is on the higher side. have a look here.
Boston Acoustics 6-1/2" Component Systems | Car Speakers | Car Audio | Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation at Sonic Electronix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks