Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2009, 22:06   #1
BHPian

ICE Upgrades for Verna SX - Budget 15K, Amp, Speakers and Sub

I will be taking delivery of my Verna CRDI SX (ABS) later this week. The stock music system is just acceptable and the SQ is pathetic. I want to do the following changes to the Verna's music system. My budget for the upgrade is 15K:

1. New Front and Rear speakers. What size are the stock speakers in the Verna? Please suggest options. I also did not like the stock tweeters. I want good sharp treble. Please suggest options.

2. Does the stock Kenwood Double DIN MP3 unit have pre-outputs for an amp? What Amp will be best and in my budget? What is the best placement for the amp, under the seat or in the boot?

3. I plan to have a sub in the boot. But I do not want it to eat too much of boot space. Is a 10" sub good for the job? I prefer tight bass. What options are available in 10"?

I plan to keep the stock HU for now, but plan to change it later to a Pioneer with USB and iPod inputs, so the Amp needs to be future proof.

Lastly, does anyone know of a good installer in Nagpur? I want someone to do a good professional job.

- NCG
Old 20th September 2009, 22:29   #2
BHPian

Quote:

1. New Front and Rear speakers. What size are the stock speakers in the Verna? Please suggest options. I also did not like the stock tweeters. I want good sharp treble. Please suggest options.
Front Stock: 6"
Rear Stock: 6"X9" on the parcel tray
Quote:
2. Does the stock Kenwood Double DIN MP3 unit have pre-outputs for an amp? What Amp will be best and in my budget? What is the best placement for the amp, under the seat or in the boot?
No idea. If it has RCA outs then well and good. Else you will need Hi-Lo converter or an amp with speaker level inputs. For amp placement you can check out my thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...erna-iced.html
Quote:
3. I plan to have a sub in the boot. But I do not want it to eat too much of boot space. Is a 10" sub good for the job? I prefer tight bass. What options are available in 10"?
Go for a 12" sub in a sealed box. Will fit snug in a corner of the boot.

First of all get some decent comps upfront. You can choose from JBL 608C, Illusion EL 6.1, Bull,etc.
Leave the real 6X9's as it is.

Buy a decent 4 ch amp: Kenwood/JBL.

Sub later as and when budget permits.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:49   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the info live2drive. I loved your Verna's ICE! Any ideas on the costs of the suggested comps and amp? Will these two exceed 15K? I like the sound stage to be in the rear rather than in the front. Shouldn't I replace both the rear and front speakers?

On another note, will it make a huge difference to the SQ by changing the stock HU, or adding an amp and new speakers be enough to significantly improve the SQ? Gurus, please advise. I am inclined to keep the stock HU rather than let it go waste. It is very well integrated too, the green backlighting matches with that of the clock and the trip meter. It also comes with a bigger remote. I am not still sure about the model number of the stock Kenwood HU though. Are Kenwood HU's good in SQ?

Last edited by newcoolgadgets : 21st September 2009 at 15:51.
Old 21st September 2009, 16:04   #4
BHPian

NCG, Approximate costs are as follows:
JBL 608C: 4.5K
Illusion EL 6.1: 7K(B/W)
Bull 6.5": 7K(B/W)

Kenwood KAC-M845: 7K(B/W)
JBL 1004: 12K?

Ideally, you should be looking for upgrading front stage if you are going to drive most of the time.
Please check whether the stock HU has pre-outs at the rear or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks