Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 03:09   #1
BHPian

Audio System in Skoda Octavia

I got my Factory System upgraded with a pair of JBL P963 at the rear and JBL Power Series components in the Front Doors. Head Unit is Alpine and Amplifier is a Glider as strongly recommended by the Installation Dealer. I tested JBL 1004 and there was a generation gap in the sound quality enhancement. I'm going to replace the Glider amplifier with Harman/Kardon CA470 which is deemed as the father of JBL 1004. Will upload some pics in my next post. I got the System from SK Motors in Sector-28, Chandigarh and I must say guys, watchout from this Dealer!!! They just have the equipment but when it comes to fair dealing, installation, customer experience>> They are horrible. I'm concerned about the positioning of the rear speakers installed in the tray and some advice in installing a small subwoofer in my car. Where I can install it without rattling my rear glass and can it be installed in the rear tray (open air type)?
Old 5th October 2009, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
I got my Factory System upgraded with a pair of JBL P963 at the rear and JBL Power Series components in the Front Doors. Head Unit is Alpine and Amplifier is a Glider as strongly recommended by the Installation Dealer. I tested JBL 1004 and there was a generation gap in the sound quality enhancement. I'm going to replace the Glider amplifier with Harman/Kardon CA470 which is deemed as the father of JBL 1004. Will upload some pics in my next post. I got the System from SK Motors in Sector-28, Chandigarh and I must say guys, watchout from this Dealer!!! They just have the equipment but when it comes to fair dealing, installation, customer experience>> They are horrible. I'm concerned about the positioning of the rear speakers installed in the tray and some advice in installing a small subwoofer in my car. Where I can install it without rattling my rear glass and can it be installed in the rear tray (open air type)?
If your tray is stock then you cannot install the subwoofer in it. Skoda boot is big enough so better go for a subwoofer in a sealed or ported box.

Regarding installation try out Auto Center (right next to SK), Puri Sons or Car Life. Also try to audition a few cars / subwoofers Chandigarh.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

HK is a nice choice you have made.

The choice of speakers is also good.
Alpine which model you have?
for sub, as abhibh mentioned get one in a sealed / ported enclosure. ( much better than free air)
Old 5th October 2009, 18:35   #4
BHPian

Thank you brothers for help. The Alpine Head Unit that came with my car from Skoda is a CDE-9870 with only 2 channels of RCA PreAmp outs (technician used Y-Splitters at the amplifier to split 2 channels into 4), so I may also go ahead and replace it with the new Alpine CDA-9887 (24 Bit D/A, 4 Channel 4 volt RCA PreAmp outs and 2 channel Sub Out= 6 RCA total + Dynamic Equalizer), to make sure that all 4/6 channels are fed directly into the amplifier through seperate cables for more control over soundstage and sound imaging. There's no after sale service for Nakamichi, so I'm not considering that, however it the "BEST" Headunit out there. I've attached the pictures of my installation.. I'm concerned about filling up the boot space with a subwoofer box, that is why just looking for some alternatives to add subwoofer if I required to after upgrading my system with the Headunit and the H/K Amplifier. Will also add a 2 Farad capacitor near to the amplifier as my system lights and headlights have that dancing effect with heavy bass. AND next time, I'm gonna call and pay a Skoda Technician (to open/install/tighten parts properly and a Car Audio Engineer (For system installation and tuning) on a weekend for a full day dedicated job so that the end result is 100% to the perfection. I'm extremely frustrated with my experience with SK Motors and so I don't intend to give a new chance to any dealer again.
Please guide me with the following>>
>>Can I install a small 8" Subwoofer in a sealed enclosure in the boot? Will it harm my rear glass or the sealings in any way. From where the sound will enter into the car cabin or will it keep making the boot Boop-Boop
>>Is the positioning of my rear speakers optimal, the way it should be. I'm sound in electronics but I can't actually percept like when someone says "Firing at the listener and not at the glass or each other". What exactly I need to do if there is need to make any change?
Attached Thumbnails
Audio System in Skoda Octavia-img_0959.jpg  

Audio System in Skoda Octavia-img_0962.jpg  

Audio System in Skoda Octavia-img_0964.jpg  

Audio System in Skoda Octavia-img_0968.jpg  

Old 7th October 2009, 12:47   #5
BHPian

Anymore suggestions??????
Old 8th October 2009, 02:22   #6
BHPian

Also, what is the maximum size of the speaker that can be installed at the rear stock location in Skoda Octavia? Please suggest some good speakers for the same with high output. Can I run 2X 4Ohm at the rear and 2X 2Ohm at front all at different channels through Harman/Kardon CA470 without any problem?
Old 8th October 2009, 05:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you want to use the stock location, then its 5.25".

Go for components/coaxials.
If you have a good set of front components, then you would not feel the need for loud rears too.

If you are contemplating on HK and goof front components and an alpine 9887, i'll advice you to take the fronts active and forget the rears.

You'll surely love it more.

And yes, you can use the 2 x 2 ohm for front and 2 x 4 ohms for rear.

Which speakers have you chosen? There are not too many 2 ohm stable speakers
Old 7th March 2010, 00:36   #8
BHPian

Upgradation..

Hello my friends, I upgraded my Amplifier with the Harman/Kardon CA470. I never auditioned this amplifier and spended the big sum on it just for the Harman/Kardon name. I'm in absolute love with this Amplifier and my system sounds just the way I like it. The settings on the Amplifier are pretty straightforward and even though it has no separate bass boost feature or control on it, it delivers consistently smooth bass without a hiccup. If anyone ready to sell his/her H/K Amplifiers, I will be the first one to buy, so please PM me when anyone's interested. Here are the installed pictures. I would like to thank Abhinav (Lal pari fame) and Sathee (Blue Harman Fiesta) for their kind support and advice.
Now, I'm looking forward to add an Image Dynamics IDQ 10" subwoofer (preferably tuned around 20hz or lower) and a CA1500M or equivalent if I'm not able to find it.
Also, I've installed the Amplifier vertically but it is a tight fit due to low seat height and stuff, however I've raised the amplifier from the carpet surface by placing metal spacers in the screws behind the amplifier to enhance cooling. I'm going to get a Carpeted MDF and then fit it horizontally with the same spacing technique to ensure some ventilation at the back of the amplifier as well, where there's maximum opportunity surface area..

cru.ms/slasherpay
Attached Thumbnails
Audio System in Skoda Octavia-picture-141.jpg  

Audio System in Skoda Octavia-picture-143.jpg  

Audio System in Skoda Octavia-picture-151.jpg  

Old 7th March 2010, 21:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. Glad you liked the amp.

If you plan to add the 1500m, then i may inform you that it is the same size and difficult to fit both amps horizontally on the back seat. You will have to install them diagonally. Check my thread for details.
Old 8th March 2010, 05:59   #10
BHPian

Thank you for pointing out that bro. Yes, I checked your install pics and will be doing the same way on an carpeted MDF Board. I will route the cables in the same way first to the back and then to the front as you did with crossovers sitting at the back. Right now, I've my crossovers fitted within the doors and it is not good.. Now, my next investment is going to be H/K 1500M and Image Dynamics 8" or 10" woofer but I need it atleast tuned at 20Hz.
At which level are the Amplifiers from Ground Zero, SoundStream and DLS Ultimate Series when compared to Harman?
Old 8th March 2010, 09:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Image Dynamics 8" or 10" woofer but I need it atleast tuned at 20Hz. ...
For going down to 20Hz you will need at least a 12", if not a 15".

I think you are driving yourself with numbers only. 20Hz is barely audible to most humans, and most music does not have any content at that level. It is perfectly OK if you are able to achieve 30-35Hz F3. Even this is difficult to achieve with 8" or 10" subs.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm concerned about the positioning of the rear speakers installed in the tray and some advice in installing a small subwoofer in my car. Where I can install it without rattling my rear glass and can it be installed in the rear tray (open air type)?
Quote:
Also, what is the maximum size of the speaker that can be installed at the rear stock location in Skoda Octavia?
1. I'll second what DA just posted.

2. THe max size of speaker you can install in the stock locations is about 13cm. I have a pair of 13cm midbasses in my Octy.

3. The stock tray of the Octy is not strong enough or stiff enough to support speakers without beinding and flexing. a MDF tray athat is that big will be to heavy to lift. SO they best option is a sleaed box subwoofer on the side of the car that does NOT have the fuel tank (left side in my Octy). You can makea fiberglass box having a net internal volume of about 1 cu. ft. (28 liters) and put a 12" subwoofer in there. Even so be happy if you get 35Hz -3db from such a box. You wont need much more as cabin gain will help as also most modner music has little information below 35Hz.

If you are serious about bass I suggest you damp the doors and trunk of the car. THis includes the subwoofer box.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:38   #13
BHPian

Thank you for the valuable information DerAlte and Navinji. I will be upgrading soon and will post the pics of the setup which I'm able to see, is going to be better. Now, I need to include Dampening Sheet, An IDQ Subwoofer and H/K CA1500M in my next purchase...
Old 8th March 2010, 22:04   #14
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase, If your going for the IDQ get the 12.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:16   #15
BHPian

Good Choice. You can also look for Morel Ultimo SC available around 20K and is one of the best SQ sub.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks