Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 16:09   #16
BHPian

yeah..you would be better off with a 6" coaxial itself.
Old 20th October 2009, 18:42   #17
BHPian

You are better off with the GTO 937 than with an 8" coaxial.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I believe you'll have given me this feedback since you'll don't know what the entire system consists of so here goes......

Headunit - Pioneer 6950 (For now. Will upgrade later when budget permits)
Fr Comps - Illusion Carbon Nd 6.1
Rear Coax - DLS 428 2 way coaxials (8")
Sub - 12" Ground Zero GZRW 12XD-AL
4-channel amp - JBL 75.4 (Powering front & rears)
Monoblock - JBL 301.1 (Powering the sub)
Noise Kill damping

Now what do you guys think?
Old 21st October 2009, 12:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Could the respective members please elaborate on the logic behind these suggestions please? Well, obviously you guys haven't met Epic, heard his car, or understood how he likes to listen to his music, but it would be still interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
dude, an 8" coax is even more overkill than a 6x9!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
You are better off with the GTO 937 than with an 8" coaxial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
yeah..you would be better off with a 6" coaxial itself.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

I recall answering epic's queries about a year back here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...headunits.html

and unless he is mostly chaffeur driven/has similarly golden eared friends & family/PRefers a rear soundstage/wishes to sponsor some lucky ICE dealer, I don't find a point in splurging too much on rear speakers.

yes, he can have matching-matching high end speakers all around, but I dont think its really needed.

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st October 2009 at 13:27.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
and unless he is mostly chaffeur driven/has similarly golden eared friends & family/PRefers a rear soundstage/wishes to sponsor some lucky ICE dealer, I don't find a point in splurging too much on rear speakers.
If he was chauffeur driven, I would recommend the use of speakers in the rear door for him. Not in the parcel tray.

The purpose of speakers in the rear are not always for rear passengers. Good rear speakers can do a very good job of reinforcing the overall level of midbass in the car. Especially 6x9" and 8" speakers.

I usually ask folks to leave out the rear speakers only when the budget is very tight, and the cost of rear speakers could cannibalize some other, more critical part of the system. And obviously only in the scenario where there will be no rear passengers for atleast 90% of the car's usage. In over a dozen PMs that I have exchanged with Epic just over rear speakers, I have myself urged him to not spend anything over 7-8k on the rear although he had other ideas.

Epic likes his audio nice and powerful. While the fronts and sub will take care of their respective jobs, he will find the experience very incomplete without any contribution from powerful rears.

Sponsored Lucky ICE Dealer = ME.. by the way.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:03   #22
snoopy41

buddy,,think you ought to consult whoever installed your existing set-up,,i think the alpine 6 by 9 spr 69c,,with a crossover would be perfect

Old 21st October 2009, 15:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

I've heard Hydra and iplay's rides , both of which were predominantly front comps + sub. hydra later added a pair of coaxes in the rear doors due to reasons beyond his control
didnt find anything missing

having lost my 6x9's in an accident recently, I dont find myself missing much either.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
The purpose of speakers in the rear are not always for rear passengers. Good rear speakers can do a very good job of reinforcing the overall level of midbass in the car. Especially 6x9" and 8" speakers.
I have the same opinion and hence have 6X9s and a sub. Sometimes I turn off the sub and enjoy the moderate bass from 6X9s, especially in busy places (I don't like the attention a sub gets in crowded places) - I cannot imagine listening to music with just one pair of components in the front (or even with 6.5" co-axials at the rear).

Again, perceptions are different for different people.
Old 21st October 2009, 18:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy41 View Post
buddy,,think you ought to consult whoever installed your existing set-up,,i think the alpine 6 by 9 spr 69c,,with a crossover would be perfect
Hi Snoopy,

I bought my existing set-up from the official JBL Store and the same was installed by them too. You may not believe me if I tell you this, but I would never recommend an install from those guys ever!!! They screwed it up so badly, I just wasn't funny! My car was probably close to a major short circut. And I am talking about a 60k system here installed by 'so called' professionals! B&T is a witness to this ridiculous install and had then recommended Zohir from Boom to have the entire system & wiring re-installed. Believe me, after the re-install, I couldn't believe my system could sound so good.

In short, it would be fair to say that indirectly B&T installed my existing set-up and hence I am consulting him. But hey, everyone's opinions and feedback are welcome and required here.
Old 21st October 2009, 23:54   #26
BHPian

Previously i had my 6x9 in the parcel tray.
But now since i have a sub in the boot,i just disconnected them and now i am just listening to the front illusions and sub only.

Well i feel there is something missing only when i turn around from the front seat and listen to it.Otherwise all are perfect.
Thats why i said,he would be better off with the coaxials itself.
But how the hell did i know he was having the carbons in the front and still he wanted 8" on rear.

Man you are a very heavy(literally man.hehe) music listener.
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Previously i had my 6x9 in the parcel tray.
But now since i have a sub in the boot,i just disconnected them and now i am just listening to the front illusions and sub only.

Well i feel there is something missing only when i turn around from the front seat and listen to it.Otherwise all are perfect.
Thats why i said,he would be better off with the coaxials itself.
But how the hell did i know he was having the carbons in the front and still he wanted 8" on rear.

Man you are a very heavy(literally man.hehe) music listener.
Hahaha...... No man! I do not have the Carbons yet but will be upgrading to them soon. Right now I am on the JBL 606Ce components in front and JBL 937s at the rear.

I like my car to sound full, I do not want to turn around or sit in the back or stand outside the car and find something missing in my music system Maybe I am a heavy music listner or maybe I just love my music.
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:39   #28
BHPian

If you want your music sound full then,thats your choice man.
Was just wondering why don't you first install all the others that u mentioned in the earlier post like carbons and sub, And then you can check whether you want a rear speaker or not.
Just my suggestion buddy.

Last edited by jithudigitised : 22nd October 2009 at 11:49.
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you want your music sound full then,thats your choice man.
Was just wondering why don't you first install all the others that u mentioned in the earlier post like carbons and sub, And then you can check whether you want a rear speaker or not.
Just my suggestion buddy.
Yes Jithu that is a good suggestion & I will try it out.
Old 22nd October 2009, 21:49   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
If he was chauffeur driven, I would recommend the use of speakers in the rear door for him.
Wont this mess up the sound stage for the front passengers. In all probablity the rear speaker's tweeter will be closer to the front passenger's ear than the front speaker's tweeter.

If one is chauffered my favourite recomendation is headphones. You can have them wired into the armrest and many afolding model sound pretty good. Best part is that you can turn them up without disturbing the driver.
AKG K26P, Senheisser PX100, 200, etc.. can all do a decent job and tuck in nicely inside the headrest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks