Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2009, 18:05   #1

Screen for rear passengers (mounted on the headrest)

Hi Gurus - my first post here. Will b getting my Mitsu Cedia in 10-12 days. It comes with a kenwood DVD & sat-nav system. There is only one screen on the dash. The sales guy told me that I can install upto two more screens in the front seat head-rest/s for those in the back. I have no clue about the screens available, their size, reliability & cost. I would like to do the installation ASAP. All inputs are thankfully welcome.
Old 28th November 2009, 22:28   #2
BHPian

Hi, actually when we talk about headrest screens unfortunately we dont get any branded headrest screens .There are most of china screens which come along with headrest, xcite by xenos and necvox are the only brands which are a bit reliable . Sony has screens for headrest but you have to fix them in your existing head rest.
Old 29th November 2009, 00:12   #3

Thanx for your response mate. Do you think installing them in my existing head rest is not a good option. If so is it because the installer may make a mess and/or changing the screen in future (say when the screen malfunctions) may become an issue. I'm asking because sony is a reliable brand and may go along that route unless there are potential problems. Also any idea about their cost?
Old 29th November 2009, 01:31   #4
BHPian

Sony I believe is very very expensive too.
Old 29th November 2009, 09:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think Necvox makes good headrest screens. Alpine and Blaupunkt have screens too. I would suggest you to get a very good brand with the longest warranty. These screens are all made in China and you have to pray as to how long they last!
Old 30th November 2009, 13:48   #6
BHPian

You can go ahead with sony screens , i think they cost you around 7.5 k each with b&w. The only issue was the installation part, has to be done with some good installer . Sony screen comes with a basket case for head rest installation so dont have to worry. Please insist on a better detailing.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:31   #7

Thanx every-budddy. Will update you later. Have to decide as soon as get the delivery. Sony might be the choice if instalation can be sorted.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Nandrajog View Post
You can go ahead with sony screens , i think they cost you around 7.5 k each with b&w.
What size are we talking about ? 7" necvox costed me 7k in 2006. It still works like a charm. Sony is very expensive.

Just spoke to my local dealer. He says 10.5k for a pair of neccox with the headrest and 19.5k for one Sony screen.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 30th November 2009 at 18:16.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Just spoke to my local dealer. He says 10.5k for a pair of neccox with the headrest and 19.5k for one Sony screen.
Now, it cost 4.2K for 7" necvox without B&W.

Cheers,
L&S
Old 30th November 2009, 21:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

When i was buying necvox 7" for 5.2k sony one of same size cost me 9k without bill. Another thing to look out for better display will be the native screen resolution written on the packing.

Mounting two on the headrest is not a difficult job but take care to get it done by someone who knows it.
Its also better to get the pre-installed pairs as the wiring will be hidden in the headrest rods giving a clean install.

An alternate lesser invasive way is to go for a single larger 9" overhead display. this kind of installation also hides it from thieves. the downside is it blocks rear view mirror when in use.

Last edited by gigy : 30th November 2009 at 21:46.
Old 1st December 2009, 00:40   #11

It does not come with pre-installed screens in the head-rests. It comes with only a single screen in the dash. But I have been told that there are options to install extra screens. I guess blocking the rear view mirror would be too much a price to pay on the safety front compared to the benefit in the entertainment front.
esteem_lover - could you kindly find out the size, resolution & aspect ratio of your screen please. If the difference is like what you guys are telling - then Necvox may be the optimum solution.
Old 1st December 2009, 10:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer&shogun View Post
Now, it cost 4.2K for 7" necvox without B&W.

Cheers,
L&S
10.5k is with the headrest which comes in 3 colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnisumita View Post
esteem_lover - could you kindly find out the size, resolution & aspect ratio of your screen please. If the difference is like what you guys are telling - then Necvox may be the optimum solution.
Size - 7"
ar - 16:9
resolution - not sure but will be as good as your in dash LCD.
Old 1st December 2009, 12:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
10.5k is with the headrest which comes in 3 colours.

John, 4.2k is for single unit. Installed in my car last week

Cheers,
L&S
Old 28th November 2013, 20:21   #14
BHPian

Headrest mounted ICE for Hyundai Elantra

I have been searching for an In-Car Entertainment system specifically for rear seat passengers for my Hyundai Elantra. The roof mounted system is out of question due to the low roof of the car. Recently, I noticed that Hyundai dealer, Sharayu is offering headrest based ICE for elantra as an accessory.

Here is the brand which they are offering ...

http://www.rdoverseas.in/index.php?p...Monitor Series

Has anyone had any experience with this manufacturer? It seems like a local manufacturer and their website also doesn't seem too impressive. But, I liked the product as it is exactly what I was looking for.
Is there any other brand that I should look for?

Thanks!!!

Mods: I didn't find a similar thread on this topic, hence opened a new one. Kindly merge with any other thread if needed.
Old 30th November 2013, 15:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Headrest mounted ICE for Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I have been searching for an In-Car Entertainment system specifically for rear seat passengers for my Hyundai Elantra. The roof mounted system is out of question due to the low roof of the car. Recently, I noticed that Hyundai dealer, Sharayu is offering headrest based ICE for elantra as an accessory. ...
1. The roof-mounted systems are designed to replace the ceiling light - which is actually a problem with most cars having it just aft of the IRVM. The issue is of being able to mount at that location, not that of ceiling height

2. There are 3 alternatives:
- Monitors that replace / mount on the passenger side sun-shade
- Monitors that are placed inside the headrest from behind (there are even some larger screens that hang between the front seats)
- Monitors that hang by a bracket from the 2 rods that hold up the headrest

3. Some devices contain a DVD drive, and some are only monitors that you hook up to either the HU, or an external video source like a portable DVD player

Almost any accessory shop will have a stock of these alternatives. All of these are China-made (the dealer in your link is just an importer), so don't expect significant brand names nor HDTV like picture quality. Installation is usually very simple, and the shop should install it for free.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks