Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 12:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

DVD ICE setup query

Hi guys

I needed some help in finalizing a setup for my car. But I didn't see many discussions related to in-car DVD players.

Basically i am on a tight budget right now, but have plans to upgrade/extend my setup after some time

Requirements:

To play mp3 when i am driving alone and play some cartoon movies for my kid when we travel with family

And for this i need:
1. DVD HU, with USB and should play all formats like DivX etc
2. To start, A pair of comps for the front.

Later I plan to extend this with LCD screen(Else whats the use of DVD player), back speakers(prefer door due to lack of boot space).
I dont like loud music, so i feel i dont require an amp or sub(Please let me know if amp is must for this kind of setup)

Now for the confusion part:
1. Instead of DVD and go for a good audio system+USB and go for a portable DVD player for the video needs(feedback on these portable players is welcome)
2. Can In-car DVD player play everything that a typical home DVD player plays? at home i typically use the USB port and watch the DivX video
3. How good is a DVD player playing a DVD full of MP3? i heard somewhere that the performance of DVD player is not great for audio.
4. If i never buy an amp, do i need components or coaxials would do ?
5. I am hearing about these 2/3/4 way co-axials, more the better ?

I have a budget of 10-12K for HU+2 front speakers right now.

Instead of going for a full setup in this small budget, i want to go for partial installation.

I guess this is enough to start a thread. waiting for your comments
Old 10th December 2009, 12:57   #2

dear rajshenoy
i have just installed MEX-DV1505U in my scorpio with plan to extend this with LCD screen(Else whats the use of DVD player) later for my kids and family. It cost me around 11k with bill and 2years onsite warranty. it has everything what are you expecting.
Old 10th December 2009, 13:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh,
I have been there, done that & given it up. I would suggest you get a good MP3/USB HU and purchase a portable DVD player. This can be taken anywhere. A DVD full of MP3s does not work, skips a lot even if you write them at 1x.
Old 10th December 2009, 13:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevkmr View Post
dear rajshenoy
i have just installed MEX-DV1505U in my scorpio with plan to extend this with LCD screen(Else whats the use of DVD player) later for my kids and family. It cost me around 11k with bill and 2years onsite warranty. it has everything what are you expecting.
Thanks Rajeev, Can you tell me about rest of your setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Rajesh,
I have been there, done that & given it up. I would suggest you get a good MP3/USB HU and purchase a portable DVD player. This can be taken anywhere. A DVD full of MP3s does not work, skips a lot even if you write them at 1x.
Yup i have been hearing this.

Dont we get any HU with USB support and DivX codec ?
I dont need a DVD reader in that case . Asking for too much?

I am seeing some good branded portable DVD players for 6K and comes with Car kit, and can be used even as digital photo frame at home

Which is why i am confused if i really need a DVD HU

Last edited by rajshenoy : 10th December 2009 at 13:49.
Old 10th December 2009, 14:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Which is why i am confused if i really need a DVD HU
You surely don't. period.
Old 10th December 2009, 20:36   #6

dear rajshenoy
I have paid 11k for HU only and dont think you will get dvd unit in 6k with bill and warranty.But if you change the brand you can get a difference of about 2k.Even there is one model which has different set up like usb in the back and some other differences. You can check it out sony co.in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks