Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2010, 15:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi10
Nitrous, i am trying to BP between 50 Hz and 500 HZ
Even if you use a high performing 8" midbass woofer, 80Hz should be the limit.
Anything lesser will just be straining the driver distorting the other frequencies that it could be playing well if not for the low HPF.
Old 27th June 2010, 15:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Anything lesser will just be straining the driver distorting the other frequencies that it could be playing well if not for the low HPF.
Sir, is this even if the Fs of the Mid Woofer is 51 Hz ?

Whats one octave greater than 50 Hz ?
Old 27th June 2010, 18:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Unless you are using a 3 way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Whats one octave greater than 50 Hz ?
100 Hz.
Old 28th June 2010, 06:27   #49
naughty001

Mi10 - to control the system perfectly you will need an external processor like a Rockford 360.2 or even an audison bit one or maybe a JBL MS8. That is what i would use for perfect control of a 3 way front stage plus sub setup and bypass the processing functionality of the headunit

the only major problem is that those solutions are not cheap and even more expensive due to needing a laptop or some form of computer required to control the processor and DSP

to be honest instead of getting into complicated setups involving three way front stages etc if you have a headunit with limited functionality and if you have a limited budget then you need to design your system around that functionality whatever it is

as an example my compromises all involve everything that my headunit and amplifiers as well as speakers are well capable of doing but if i wanted everything perfect then i would get rid of the headunit and get a simpler one and use an audison bit one or JBL MS8 and i would have a topnotch setup with the stuff that i already have and all i would need to do is install it all properly

sorry i cant help you in equipment choices because i have no clue whats available to you since i live in another end of the world and stuff that i can get may not be available to you and stuff that you can get, i may not ever even see for the next 20 years too

Quote:
well i dont personally agree with this mainly because Fs is free air resonant frequency and when you install the speaker onto a baffle or into an enclosure the resonant frequency changes. You could even deaden the baffle that the speaker is installed onto and the resonant frequency again could possibly change ie add weight or remove weight and the resonant frequency changes - so that Fs figure is not the absolute resonant frequency (but it can be used as a guideline)

in fact there are no absolutes in terms of figures - if you have a high quality speaker there is no reason why you would not have a situation where you dont even need a sub at all, as long as your midbass drivers are good enough and the parameters work properly according to the type of enclosure you place the driver in

maybe as a general rule to prevent people not installing drivers correctly then maybe your hypothesis may work but to be honest i know of a few 6,5" drivers that do the job far lower than 80hz - in fact you can increase your crossover slope and usually drop the crossover frequency lower again but with due consideration to the fact though that you need to be careful of phase and other driver crossover points need to be adjusted accordingly

also why should 80hz be a limit for an 8" driver because i know of 8" subwoofers that can play down to 20hz and even below albeit not always at high output and efficiencies but they can play down that low depending on enclosure and tuning - so IMHO there are no real limits and barriers according to size .... we generally use the Fs as a guide but we need to remember that free-air resonant frequency means the natural free air resonant frequency of the driver as measured when it isnt in an enclosure or isnt even on a baffle - they measure it suspended above the ground hanging on a piece of strong thread ..... the actual practical resonant frequency will probably most likely drop when the driver is placed into an enclosure or even a large enough baffle to create an infinite baffle type of situation (like a speaker on a door .... the door isnt a totally airtight enclosure but it effectively works as one)

Quote:
I am not sure if the Kenwood X693 supports 3 way active set up. In that case can a 3 way Active crossover help my cause ? (Something like Audio control X6S or IDX)
forgot to mention that this solution is feasible if you have a flexible enough three way crossover ie the lowest frequency channels musnt be too restricted because they are only for subwoofer duties and hence only maybe work to a limit of up to around 200hz ..... so if you can find an external active crossover with flexible points you can use it purely for the three way front stage but you need enough amps for that too - if you still wish to use an active/passive mixture - it can be done but then if you are not going to hookup the midbass to the passives then use a two way crossover not a three way

and this will also work only if you did not want to use any T/A because to me T/A is only effective if you are using active and still have multichannel T/A capability, you will definitely lose that capability with an additional external crossover. though it is far more important to get the crossover points correct than to worry about T/A because indpendent level adjustments could work as a form of psuedo T/A ie balance adjustments too

Last edited by naughty001 : 28th June 2010 at 06:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks