Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 16:24   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

How does A Tactile Transducer Work?

Gurus,
I saw an ad in an automag a few days back on the Rockford Fosgate IBeam transducer.

Does this mean,subs would go out soon?

Was curious to know if anyone has tried it out and how it sounds/works?

Rockford Fosgate® - IB-200
Old 30th December 2009, 16:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine is having a Rockford Fosgate ICE setup in his Swift. It sounds awesome. I'll ask him if he knows anything about it.

BTW, I hope you've already had a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactile_transducer

"A shaker transmits low-frequency vibrations into various surfaces so that they can be felt by people. This is called tactile sound. Tactile transducers may augment or in some cases substitute for a subwoofer."

This is like injecting vibrations all over the car when you play music with bass. His poor Swift.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th December 2009 at 16:40.
Old 30th December 2009, 16:52   #3
BHPian

I know this looks amazing, but IMHO it is much as a substitute for a real sub as a microwave is for a real coal-fired bar-be-cue
Old 30th December 2009, 17:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
I know this looks amazing, but IMHO it is much as a substitute for a real sub as a microwave is for a real coal-fired bar-be-cue
I like that comparison very much!!
Old 30th December 2009, 17:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

It creates vibration simply, Its like a subwoofer only but with vibrations only. The application can be in sedans, where the bass does not travel fully inside the cabin. Mount this thing under your front seat and the chair vibrates giving you sensation of bass. But at a pricing of close to 30K its better to buy a better subwoofer.
Old 30th December 2009, 17:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

its like fixing a vibrator ( the mobile phone kind , for those of you with overactive imaginations) to your car

If you have listened to vibrator headphones, I imagine the effect should be similar

Last edited by greenhorn : 30th December 2009 at 17:28.
Old 30th December 2009, 17:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
IMHO it is much as a substitute for a real sub as a microwave is for a real coal-fired bar-be-cue
good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
It creates vibration simply, Its like a subwoofer only but with vibrations only. The application can be in sedans, where the bass does not travel fully inside the cabin. Mount this thing under your front seat and the chair vibrates giving you sensation of bass. But at a pricing of close to 30K its better to buy a better subwoofer.
I saw that it is priced at approx $350 on Amazon.I also came across one Buttkicker BK-LFE which works on the same principle and costs approx $170

Question is - has anyone tried it out?
Old 3rd January 2010, 15:29   #8
BHPian

Some excerpts from the Autocar Jan issue Ad I found interesting:

a. Can be used with/without a traditional subwoofer
b. energizes listener's auditory cortex without pressurizing surrounding air - transmits information via bone hormonics/skin galvanic and other direct stimulus routes
c. can be felt ONLY by the listener when attached to a resonant surface
d. Optimum SQ level is often reached when you can just feel rather than hear the bass

Vigsom: the ad claims its different from a 'butt shaker' - butt shakers provide a narrow band of low frequency vibration which the brain translates as 'shaking' whereas the IBEAM delivers a broad band of deep bass output that the human brain can recognize

I thought all of this was gibberish until I saw the rockford fosgate logo on those boxes - dying for an audition!

Last edited by d_himan : 3rd January 2010 at 15:31.
Old 3rd January 2010, 17:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

i had seen this a couple of years ago in the Crutchfield catalogue. Didn't/STILL don't make too much out of it. Seems like a failed concept!
Old 4th January 2010, 10:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
i had seen this a couple of years ago in the Crutchfield catalogue. Didn't/STILL don't make too much out of it. Seems like a failed concept!
Oh this stuff ahs been around (in varous forms) since the late 80s. In fact in 1994-5 I wired up the rear seat of my Zen with 4 "Shakers" from a company called Aurasound powered by a Pioneer GM2000 amp. To be honest it did little. No way did it replace a subwoofer. Maybe they can supllment a sub.

http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/re...s-shaker-pros/
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/tactile.html

Last edited by navin : 4th January 2010 at 10:57.
Old 4th January 2010, 16:17   #11
BHPian

Slightly OT, but my bed shakes and I get some tactile feedback through my bum when I wire up a regular Creative 2.1 set-up to my DVD player (using a stereo female to 2 RCA males adaptor), keep the sub (5.25" driver in a ported enclosure) on the floor, and watch an action movie like "The Taking of Pelham 123". Try this for an experience.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:01   #12
BHPian

Looks tempting but don't know how it would sound or in this case feel

Most Viewed