Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 15:55   #1
BHPian

ICE for my new Logan

Hi,

Recently I got ICE installed on my new Logan. In fact the fitment was done the same day I took delivery, but as commonly advised, didn't get it done by the dealer, and man am I glad.

I had a rather small budget of 12K, to get both ICE and Reverse/Parking sensor. I had done my research on the web for HU's and Speakers; and had decided to go with either -- Kenwood, Panasonic or Sony for HU, and JBL for speakers. Called up few places and got the best prices (budgetary, from 2 shops), one in Lalbagh the other in Koramangala (in Bangalore). In fact, the one in Koramangala, was referred-to me by the distributors of JBL in Karnataka, i.e. Orange-Tree Marketing. Both gave very similar quotes, which was 15-20% lesser than all other car-accessories shops, and 30-40% lesser than car dealer's price who was selling the ICE almost on MRP.

Finally, got the following installed:-

a) For ICE, my requirements were pretty basic. MP3/WMA on CD, 24-bit DAC, Front Aux-IN, no need (or no budget) for USB and no need for bluetooth. My car could only take single-DIN. So, I settled for Panasonic CQ-RX222, which has all the above, plus a remote (which I doubt I'd use much). Also, I got JBL speakers. I got 5.25" JBL (GT5 series) for front-door, and 6.25" JBL (GT5 series), all 2-way coax for rear. I was initially keen on 6x9" oval JBL (GT5) or in the shop was willing to go for Infinity (was costing about 1500 more), but then the idea of putting a raised plank, with no guarantee of colour-match with Logan's beige interiors, and reduced rear-window visibility put me off. The round-speakers don't need that add-on plank. The price I got for the above was:-
HU Pana CQ-RX222: Rs.4200/-
Spkr front, GT5 5.25": Rs.1900/-
Spkr rear, GT5, 6.5": Rs.2300/-

b) For the reverse-parking sensor, I got one which is from a local Bangalore based co. (forgetting it's name), with 4-sensors, buzzer and distance/direction/closeness display, for another Rs.2600/-

So, the entire thing, in exactly Rs.11000/-, paid by card, no jhik-jhik!

I think forum rules are against sharing dealer names etc. So, if someone's interested send me a PM, and I can share dealer details. The guy who did 90% of the audio system installation was a real-pro and real-quick. The guy who did the reverse-sensor installation was the most diligent, careful, and slow (thankfully so) person I've seen. He asked 4 people to check for parallax before starting to drill a hole in the bumper, for fitting the sensors, and did it with so much care, as if it were his own car. He (& his helper) took measurements to ensure correct/equal distribution 5-6 times. I've seen cars on roads, with obvious/flawed spacing between sensors. Incorrectly spaced sensors, reduce (considerably) the accuracy level.

Sound wise, when I heard the difference between 2-way round 6.5" JBL (GT5) and 3-way oval 6x9" JBL (GT5), there was some obvious difference in the "thump" (bass/base), but later I realized that the demo-system was always keeping front-spkrs 'on' (which were 5.25" JBLs) while showing the real-spkrs (6x9"). On switching off the front spkrs, realized that the "thump" had reduced, though I won't doubt that 6x9"s that too 3-way produce preceivably better sound that 6.5" 2-way coax's. However, at the end of the day, I have to admit that I am very happy how the installed speakers and HU sound in my car. I think, I can hear pretty-much the entire range.

Hope that this post helps.

cheers,
Banibrata
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Hi,

Recently I got ICE installed on my new Logan. In fact the fitment was done the same day I took delivery, but as commonly advised, didn't get it done by the dealer, and man am I glad.

I had a rather small budget of 12K, to get both ICE and Reverse/Parking sensor. I had done my research on the web for HU's and Speakers; and had decided to go with either -- Kenwood, Panasonic or Sony for HU, and JBL for speakers. Called up few places and got the best prices (budgetary, from 2 shops), one in Lalbagh the other in Koramangala (in Bangalore). In fact, the one in Koramangala, was referred-to me by the distributors of JBL in Karnataka, i.e. Orange-Tree Marketing. Both gave very similar quotes, which was 15-20% lesser than all other car-accessories shops, and 30-40% lesser than car dealer's price who was selling the ICE almost on MRP.

Finally, got the following installed:-

a) For ICE, my requirements were pretty basic. MP3/WMA on CD, 24-bit DAC, Front Aux-IN, no need (or no budget) for USB and no need for bluetooth. My car could only take single-DIN. So, I settled for Panasonic CQ-RX222, which has all the above, plus a remote (which I doubt I'd use much). Also, I got JBL speakers. I got 5.25" JBL (GT5 series) for front-door, and 6.25" JBL (GT5 series), all 2-way coax for rear. I was initially keen on 6x9" oval JBL (GT5) or in the shop was willing to go for Infinity (was costing about 1500 more), but then the idea of putting a raised plank, with no guarantee of colour-match with Logan's beige interiors, and reduced rear-window visibility put me off. The round-speakers don't need that add-on plank. The price I got for the above was:-
HU Pana CQ-RX222: Rs.4200/-
Spkr front, GT5 5.25": Rs.1900/-
Spkr rear, GT5, 6.5": Rs.2300/-

b) For the reverse-parking sensor, I got one which is from a local Bangalore based co. (forgetting it's name), with 4-sensors, buzzer and distance/direction/closeness display, for another Rs.2600/-

So, the entire thing, in exactly Rs.11000/-, paid by card, no jhik-jhik!

I think forum rules are against sharing dealer names etc. So, if someone's interested send me a PM, and I can share dealer details. The guy who did 90% of the audio system installation was a real-pro and real-quick. The guy who did the reverse-sensor installation was the most diligent, careful, and slow (thankfully so) person I've seen. He asked 4 people to check for parallax before starting to drill a hole in the bumper, for fitting the sensors, and did it with so much care, as if it were his own car. He (& his helper) took measurements to ensure correct/equal distribution 5-6 times. I've seen cars on roads, with obvious/flawed spacing between sensors. Incorrectly spaced sensors, reduce (considerably) the accuracy level.

Sound wise, when I heard the difference between 2-way round 6.5" JBL (GT5) and 3-way oval 6x9" JBL (GT5), there was some obvious difference in the "thump" (bass/base), but later I realized that the demo-system was always keeping front-spkrs 'on' (which were 5.25" JBLs) while showing the real-spkrs (6x9"). On switching off the front spkrs, realized that the "thump" had reduced, though I won't doubt that 6x9"s that too 3-way produce preceivably better sound that 6.5" 2-way coax's. However, at the end of the day, I have to admit that I am very happy how the installed speakers and HU sound in my car. I think, I can hear pretty-much the entire range.

Hope that this post helps.

cheers,
Banibrata
Great. Good to know that you are happy with the install. Even I have a budget setup and its pretty ok but then contemplating an upgrade for the front speakers.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:52   #3
BHPian

@Banibrata, Congrats and happy listening.
Old 6th February 2010, 01:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Great. Good to know that you are happy with the install. Even I have a budget setup and its pretty ok but then contemplating an upgrade for the front speakers.
Thanks folks. After one month of running, happy to say that I am still quite happy with the sound system. I've played all kinds of music on my ICE so far -- Head-bangers, to ballads, to jazz, to classical, to soft melody and carnatic, and system did very well in the range. In fact, I have a Yamaha HTS at home, and looks like I'm finding some hither-to hidden notes and musical nuances with my ICE.
Old 7th February 2010, 16:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Thanks folks. After one month of running, happy to say that I am still quite happy with the sound system. I've played all kinds of music on my ICE so far -- Head-bangers, to ballads, to jazz, to classical, to soft melody and carnatic, and system did very well in the range. In fact, I have a Yamaha HTS at home, and looks like I'm finding some hither-to hidden notes and musical nuances with my ICE.
post some pictures buddy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks