Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 07:45   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Boston Play Smart Series

I checked out some new stuff from Boston called the Play Smart series(Si/Sxi)

They are going the way the others are going - by introducing lower cost entry level products and prominently displaying the max power on the boxes.

The sxi696 6 by 9 for eg. has a rated 100W RMS while the max power has been shown as 470W.The product finish also seemed very good.MRP shown was 4490,but this is just a figure.Actual prices are way lower.

I have heard very good reports from Boston users overseas.

I also checked out the Rockford Fosgate 6*9s(don't know the model no.) as it was playing in the demo kit off the Kenny 346U but the performance was fantastic
Old 27th January 2010, 10:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have tested all the Boston Play smart series speakers, their Si series is not that great, but pretty okay for the price, especially the 6X9 speaker which is priced at an MRP less than 3k.

In the the SXI series, the 6.5" Component and the 6X9 Speaker are both pretty good, the component is actually under priced, it's MRP is 4490, but it parallels a lot of speakers with MRps way above 5k.
The 6X9 also is pretty decent performing, I personally think it actually sounds better than the old S95 6X9 Speaker from Boston.
However I have no idea how they came up with the peak wattage numbers, I think it's the usual wooing the customer numbers.
Old 27th January 2010, 12:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
I have tested all the Boston Play smart series speakers, their Si series is not that great, but pretty okay for the price, especially the 6X9 speaker which is priced at an MRP less than 3k.

In the the SXI series, the 6.5" Component and the 6X9 Speaker are both pretty good, the component is actually under priced, it's MRP is 4490, but it parallels a lot of speakers with MRps way above 5k.
The 6X9 also is pretty decent performing, I personally think it actually sounds better than the old S95 6X9 Speaker from Boston.
However I have no idea how they came up with the peak wattage numbers, I think it's the usual wooing the customer numbers.
The website shows only S series as value performance. the S95 6x9 and S60 cpmos. could not find the sxi series.

Since you are a guru in audio would luv to know if components will be an issue with my current pioneer hu which has only 3 band equilizer?

Last edited by motomaverick : 27th January 2010 at 12:36.
Old 27th January 2010, 19:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wooing it is - everyone only looks at the PMPO (even I was like this some 5 years back)
Old 27th January 2010, 23:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Wooing it is - everyone only looks at the PMPO (even I was like this some 5 years back)
But the tough ask is when they do not mention any units against the numbers mentioned either in the website or the packaging.

Anyhow, are the Boston S series compos good VFM for someone who has a pioneer 6x9 and a old pioneer CD HU.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Observed that the Si 4" and 6" are double cones - they sound quite ok and are very reasonably priced;checked out a Vista after these were installed-decent output

Probably Boston Play Smart double cones=Si
coaxials=sxi

What say Satya?

Also these products are yet to be web-listed
Old 29th January 2010, 16:09   #7
BHPian

The sound o/p is decent. Serve the purpose well.
Old 30th January 2010, 11:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Observed that the Si 4" and 6" are double cones - ...
Also these products are yet to be web-listed
Double cones? In the lentils something black is! I don't think any reputed brand nowadays resorts to using whizzer cones to put out high frequencies, do they?
Old 30th January 2010, 14:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Double cones? In the lentils something black is! I don't think any reputed brand nowadays resorts to using whizzer cones to put out high frequencies, do they?
Yeah those dual cones are only used in some really cheap quality speakers nowadays , Pioneer sells some of that stuff, even Boston has introduced it in the rock bottom level,
Those speakers are not even available in Bangalore for obvious reasons.
What I did not understand is why Boston had to introduce 3 new entry level series below the 'S' Series. Among the ones below, the SXi series is pretty impressive, especially with a Rs4490/- MRP for a 6.5" Component which sounds at par with most over 6k MRP speakers.

Last edited by blueraven316 : 30th January 2010 at 14:10.
Old 30th January 2010, 18:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

You will all be surprised to know that even the Xylo E6 stock speakers are double cones;same with the Vista variant which comes with the factory fitted ICE

Such speakers sound OK ; it is just that as we get more "audiophilic" we begin to hate this stuff.
Old 31st January 2010, 11:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

No, not "audiophillic" LOL! The original reason for those dual cone systems (full-range speakers) was that the main cone flex was too much to produce high-frequencies efficiently, hence a stiffer, smaller cone was added in the center to do that. This technology is more than 40 years old - maybe out of fashion, definitely not invalid. Philips used to make in India and sell an 8" full-range speaker (paper cone, and even the surround was paper) with a small whizzer cone, for home 'stereo' application. Though the upper end of the f-response used to taper off at some 10-12KHz, with a good amp and a largish box it used to sound amazing for roughly 1/3rd the price of 2 way speakers. I still have a pair of those stowed somewhere. Used to connect them to a DIY amp, a b&w TV (with parts from Philips, BEL and other sources) and a record player I put together with HMV and Garrard parts - my beloved Home Theatre in the 70's. (If you wonder where the AV feed came from, it was either stereo A, or b&w V with mono A!)

No, sure, double cone makes a lot of economic sense, and with good engineering made to sound decently musical with limited f-response. Of course most of us do tend to take a prejudiced view - technology and it's perpetual quest to 'make it better' corrupts our thinking. Sometimes we tend to forget that for listening to music from the radio as a background filler, simple technology, coupled with absence of noise and distortion, can give us good results at a low price. And for the manufacturers a low price gets higher volumes and earnings.

Last edited by DerAlte : 31st January 2010 at 11:47.
Old 1st February 2010, 01:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

No, sure, double cone makes a lot of economic sense, and with good engineering made to sound decently musical with limited f-response. Of course most of us do tend to take a prejudiced view - technology and it's perpetual quest to 'make it better' corrupts our thinking. Sometimes we tend to forget that for listening to music from the radio as a background filler, simple technology, coupled with absence of noise and distortion, can give us good results at a low price. And for the manufacturers a low price gets higher volumes and earnings.
Quite true, at times spending according to one's budget, and the requirement of decent-sounding reasonably priced sound equipments makes economic sense and gives greater hearing pleasure due to the economic part.
Old 1st February 2010, 13:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah those dual cones are only used in some really cheap quality speakers nowadays , Pioneer sells some of that stuff, even Boston has introduced it in the rock bottom level,
Those speakers are not even available in Bangalore for obvious reasons.
What I did not understand is why Boston had to introduce 3 new entry level series below the 'S' Series. Among the ones below, the SXi series is pretty impressive, especially with a Rs4490/- MRP for a 6.5" Component which sounds at par with most over 6k MRP speakers.
Do you have the stock for the mention components at your place? I am planning to drive the components from the headunit itself (pioneer).
Old 2nd February 2010, 01:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
You will all be surprised to know that even the Xylo E6 stock speakers are double cones;same with the Vista variant which comes with the factory fitted ICE

Such speakers sound OK ; it is just that as we get more "audiophilic" we begin to hate this stuff.
Good to learn that these cars come with similar type speakers. I didn't knew this before.
Old 18th December 2010, 02:56   #15

Re: Boston Play Smart Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
The website shows only S series as value performance. the S95 6x9 and S60 cpmos. could not find the sxi series.
Since you are a guru in audio would luv to know if components will be an issue with my current pioneer hu which has only 3 band equilizer?
Sxi series can be found in the website D&M Premium Sound Solutions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks