Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 19:39   #16
BHPian

iPad gets fitted into car dashboard, makes you an instant carpooling superstar (video)

This is what I am talking about !!
Attached Thumbnails
Apple IPad for Carputer-6apr10oub24t2tdash.jpg  

Old 1st May 2010, 02:44   #17
BHPian

The iPad car Kit by Scosche

The iPad car Kit by Scosche:

Old 1st May 2010, 09:05   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
Looking at the specs, if adopted for the Car, It has got everything that one looks in PC (ICE) at 500 $
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
It has a LED backlit 9.7" screen. GPS and Music.
The iPad will be an inexpensive alternate to a regular PC!
Every reviewer has listed a feature or 2 that teh ipad is missing. For the car however I would arry about the readability of it's screen in direct sunlight, it's ruggedness to withstand 100 deg+ tempretures when the car is parked, the attraction it will be for thieves as most car mounts do not nest it part of the dash (2 DIN HUs are far smaller and fit into a 2DIN pocket), you cannot attach any external controllers to it for gaming, and it's limited non-expandable memory.

Obviously Apple did not design the ipad to be used in the car so we cant fault them. What you need in the car is a HU with a screen that is readable in direct sunlight and in this the tilt screen of the Alpine 9835, 9833 (2006-7 models) are excellent, what you need is the ability to add multiple USB devices (like can be done for the Alpine 9987 - I have not tried it with the 9835/9833), 0 boot time, a heads up display so one never has to take his/her eyes off the road, and big tactile buttons for ease of use while driving with steering wheel control integration.

Take a look at the simplicity of this Pioneer machine for example
Pioneer AVIC-U310BT Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com
it has a lot more going for it as a car stereo than the ipad (the Pioneer unit has several limiations - like no TA, no tilt screen, no SD/USB slot in the front - as well but we are still not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole).

Last edited by navin : 1st May 2010 at 09:07.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:14   #19

Want to Mount iPad in my Vento

Hi,

First of all if this is not the right section then please move my post to the appropriate one.

Okay, so if any of you got a chance to look at my other posts, you will know that I am soon receiving delivery of my Vento Trendline. I want to mount iPad inside the car to be used as primary entertainment gadget. I have seen many videos on youtube, but still cant figure out the best one. Moreover, the videos have mounting for cars which have different designs (e.g. left hand drive). Any advice would be really appreciated.

Regards
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Want to Mount iPad in my Vento

An iPad is not ideal for use in a car because of mounting difficulties. Of course one can do extensive modifications to do that. You would be the pioneer on TBHP if you manage to pull it off. Of course you will need to get an amp to go with it, unless you want to be satisfied with tinny music.

The Samsung 7" tablet, on the other hand, can be mounted, at a pinch, in the 2DIN space of the stock HU. Maybe you can do some jugaad to mount it in a way that you can take it out and carry with you. With this too you would need an amp.
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am personally against mounting a video device in the centre console. Ipad is extensively touch based and if not a nuisanse while driving, ipad will be a disturbance. A better option is to have a video based head unit to allow reverse camera function (hoping the video function is disabled when the gears are engaged except for reverse camera).

The tablet is meant for usage with free hands. Personal advice is to avoid such devices mounted as primary entertainment unit.
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:55   #22
Team-BHP Support

Re: Apple IPad for Carputer

@iIncepted - i've merged your post to this thread.

Check out these two threads as well :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...tallation.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...vd-player.html

cya
R
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:06   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am personally against mounting a video device in the centre console. Ipad is extensively touch based and if not a nuisanse while driving, ipad will be a disturbance. A better option is to have a video based head unit to allow reverse camera function (hoping the video function is disabled when the gears are engaged except for reverse camera).

The tablet is meant for usage with free hands. Personal advice is to avoid such devices mounted as primary entertainment unit.
More importantly it also needs to be seen if the device is qualified for extended usage in automotive conditions. If its air conditioned always, then, may be its OK.
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:36   #24
BHPian

I'm yet to come across a decent Car based front-end for the Ipad. Ditto for Android. Without a decent and well engineered FE, using touch based system in the car is a perfect recipe for disaster.

As far as CarPC's are concerned, Windows Rules!!! Tons of option (mostly free) to suit even the most demanding needs.

I'm keeping a close watch on the Android tablet scene which I guess hold more promise than closed ecosystems like Apple Ipad.
Old 4th February 2011, 13:38   #25
Team-BHP Support

@Digital Vampire :

Here's something that runs android, but doesn't have the problems related to the "touch screen" interface :

Apple IPad for Carputer-parrotasteroid.jpg

Parrot's New Android Head Unit - CES 2011 - MP3Car.com

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th February 2011 at 13:40.
Old 4th February 2011, 14:58   #26
BHPian

@Rehaan

That screen is super tiny (smaller than a phone screen) to be of any real use (especially for navigation). I guess Parrot just wanted to get into the Android bandwagon with a product.
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:24   #27
BHPian

Hi All,

So I'm thinking to install the iPad in the car but in a way that it can be removed or re-attached easily.
My idea is to use it more as a controller than a media center device - although if it can be used as that then so much the better.

So I would like to use it to
  • control my ICE - change radio channels, input channels, volume, etc.
  • control air conditioner - this might be the toughest thing to do.
  • pair with third party GPS devise to use as a navigational tool

Do you know if that has been tried before? Quick search of AppStore does not show any apps that can accomplish #1 from the list above.
What issues/obstacles do you foresee?

Thanks.
Old 19th July 2011, 09:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
An iPad is not ideal for use in a car because of mounting difficulties. Of course one can do extensive modifications to do that. You would be the pioneer on TBHP if you manage to pull it off. Of course you will need to get an amp to go with it, unless you want to be satisfied with tinny music.

The Samsung 7" tablet, on the other hand, can be mounted, at a pinch, in the 2DIN space of the stock HU. Maybe you can do some jugaad to mount it in a way that you can take it out and carry with you. With this too you would need an amp.
Guys , I am planning to install my samsung galaxy 7" tab as a carputer .
I already have a jbl x-333. Planning to connect a 3.5 mm jack from the tab to the HU.
Also planning to make the tab detachable , so that i can remove it when not required.
Any suggestions guys ??
Old 19th July 2011, 18:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Buy a holder-charger like this one and mount it on the windscreen at someplace convenient. Instead of using a cable with jack, buy this cable and connect to the JBL 333 Aux-in (rear). This way the wiring stays in the car and you can remove the Tab and take it with you.

You may need to modify the dock so that you can either use the charger socket or the audio cable socket.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 18:12   #30
BHPian

Installing IPAD MINI in my Wagon R

Hello All,

Did a search on this forum and did not find the expected result for IPAD installations in a car. At present I have a Sony Xplod HU with 6*9 pioneer at the rear and 4" Sony speakers at the front. I am planning to replace my HU from a long time as it does not have the USB port to charge my IPOD. Now that I bought a IPAD MINI from my recent trip to US, wanted to replace the HU with my IPAD MINI which does solve my problem. Wanted to know from experts the advantages & dis advantages of this installation. I prefer a slip on installation as I can remove the IPAD when required & use it at home. Did a search and found this video
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/toyota...ets-ipad-mini/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks