Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2005, 16:26   #31
Team-BHP Support

BTW I would really recommend reading the WACK manual you can rip to any number of formats using this tool.

Remember guys there might be easier ways to do this stuff or even get better quality stuff. I am an idiot when it comes to computers.

Last edited by navin : 4th November 2005 at 16:30.
Old 4th November 2005, 18:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
so now i wrote some cd using WMP and yet the quality wasnt that great..most of my songs are downloaded from P2P sites so that might be one of the reasons..well so whats the best way to write them as to get best quality..i mean any softwares and also brief procedures..navin,GB,JB,sam,vivek...
Mclaren...... WMP is not a good software for burning cd.Nero is the best for this purpose and one very important point which everyone has missed is that we should burn cd at slowest possible speed.[Like at 4x,8x,10x or 12x rather than 52x,48x etc. And quality of blank media will also influence the outcome.

More the bit rate better will be sound quality but it will take more space.

I think difference is more noticeable in case of audio formats rather than mp3 format.
Old 4th November 2005, 18:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
so now i wrote some cd using WMP and yet the quality wasnt that great..most of my songs are downloaded from P2P sites so that might be one of the reasons..well so whats the best way to write them as to get best quality..i mean any softwares and also brief procedures..navin,GB,JB,sam,vivek...
Mclaren...... WMP is not a good software for burning cd.Nero is the best for this purpose and one very important point which everyone has missed is that we should burn cd at slowest possible speed.[Like at 4x,8x,10x or 12x rather than 52x,48x etc. And quality of blank media will also influence the outcome.

More the bit rate better will be sound quality but it will take more space.Navin has given links to softwares required for encoding.

I think difference is more noticeable in case of audio formats rather than mp3 format.
Old 4th November 2005, 18:41   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hey navin thanks a lot for that lovely insight into ripping cds..and also for the links..will download and see what best results i can achieve..well ya i agree that WMP is not that great but i dont think nero did a better job either..i usually do rip most of my cds using nero only and as u suggested at the slowest bitrate possible..and coming to the recording media its only sony cd-r's that i use apart from the sony rw's..
once again thanks to all for their valuable inputs..keep the spirits rolling guys..
Old 4th November 2005, 18:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

McL apart from Navinji's suggestions, you can also try this...

For Ripping:
Use Windows Media Player 10 (update your WMP if you have an older version). Go into TOOLS > OPTIONS > RIP MUSIC. Choose Windows Media Audio (Variable Bit Rate) from the drop down list. Below that set the slider to maximum quality. This encodes at around 355kbps and yeilds an album size of 155Mb. I have found this to be very close to Audio CD while maintaining a decent file size. On a CD-R you will be able to fit 60-70 such tracks which I think is decent.

For Downloading:
The Internet is full of crappy, poorly ripped audio. It is extremely difficult to find a well ripped file. I strongly suggest you try and buy audio CDs as they sound best. They arent that expensive anymore. Also, rather than download, find a friend who owns a CD you want and copy / rip his disc. I can suggest some paid sites where you can buy music. I use these a lot.
Old 4th November 2005, 18:57   #36
Team-BHP Support

i think there are sites that allow members to only share high quality music. i dont download music as it is against my wierd set of self imposed guidelines but i feel no harm in ripping a set for my car esp after some of my CDs died after a few years (the alumina former baked between the plastic slides corroded and left me with CDs looking like swiss cheese).
Old 4th November 2005, 21:23   #37
BHPian

Do the car stereos handle a Variable Bit Rate well? Most of my mp3s are in VBR format for space saving reasons.
Old 4th November 2005, 21:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

depends on HU i guess. check HU's manual, or post your HU's model number.
Old 4th November 2005, 22:26   #39
Team-BHP Support

most are ok. even my finicky alpines do. some are better like my nephew's kenwood (2 DIN OEM in Honda CVT) read just about any CD thrown in. my alpines only like the good stuff (better CDRs recorded at slower speeds) but there is signifcant difference in the sound between the alpines and the kenwood.

usually the more high end HUs are more finicky. wierd. but i guess that is the name of the game.
Old 4th January 2006, 23:15   #40
BHPian

I just found something which may be useful to others who r using lame + razerlame for encoding.
Enable "custom options only", and put --alt-preset standard in the "custom options" line. You'll get very-high-quality, joint stereo, VBR MP3's at between 192 and 224 average.

It takes bit longer but gives best quality output,i heard.Even the histogram is very different than when we do it without custom option.I use red for LR and blue for MS stereo just to make histogram visible.

There r some other commands in the link
http://www.dors.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=372 and presets can be downloaded from

http://www.geocities.com/neorenegade/RLOPack.zip
Old 4th January 2006, 23:26   #41
Team-BHP Support

Doc APX (alt present extreme) with wavegain and a few other flags will do one better. Just ask Sam. My BIL has been compraing my MP3s to his WAV Lossless files and found the MP3s sound better. Sam thinks they are fine too and he is a Pro. ACR is about 224kbps.
Old 5th January 2006, 00:00   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Doc APX (alt present extreme) with wavegain and a few other flags will do one better
for example..........??

And now read this....then why r we doing it

Quote:
Transcoding from one bitrate of MP3 to another is totally possible, but it does NOT improve quality of sound. In fact, it will only make it diminish even more.

Once a song is in MP3 format, or any other lossy format like WMA or OGG for that matter, it has lost a certain amount of sound info and therefore sound quality. This can never be regained.

When you try to reencode an MP3, the encoder treats the MP3 as a fresh source file, and so it tries to duplicate as close as possible the sound of the MP3. The problem with this is, though we often can't hear it, an MP3 is a lot dirtier than a CD track or a WAV file. So what happens is the MP3 encoder is reading dirty audio and outputting even dirtier audio.

So, it is recommended whenever possible that if you want to change the bitrate of an MP3 file, you should just get rid of it and make a new one from the CD. Otheriwise, leave all MP3's as they are because you can't make them any better.
Link is http://www.dors.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=182
Old 5th January 2006, 10:10   #43
Team-BHP Support

I do not subscribe to transcoding. Burn from CD source only. The rest of LAME/EAC etc is a long discussion better left to forums like hydrogenaudio.org.
Old 5th January 2006, 18:07   #44
BHPian

[SIZE=2]Does that means there is no benefit encoding already made mp3 [at lower bit rate] to mp3 with higher bit rate??[/SIZE]
Old 5th January 2006, 22:45   #45
Team-BHP Support

No benefit! None. Nada. Capiche?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks