Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2005, 02:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

JVC Head Unit Problem.

ok this is what happened.

a month back i had zeroed in on the pioneer head unit and pioneer 6990 speakers for the rear and 1610(if im not mistaken for the front) for my zen.no amps no sub.was about to get it done but i started reading a lot of negative things being said about pioneer how its not reliable and doesnt have an authorized dealer etc.so i put it on a hold and thought ill do a bit of reading up before i make the final decision as im only 18 and i was paying for it from the money i have saved up and couldnt afford to make a mistake.

so i did and soon realized that i should stay away from pioneer.in some time sam joined tbhp and changed every team bhpians life for good.(okay almost every team bhpians life).most of us had heard about jbl and i guess some already had it in their cars but once he came we really got to know a lot more than just that jbl makes speakers !! we got to know that jbl makes great sounding speakers.atleast thats what i feel.so suddenly every one was againt pioneer and for jbl so my mind swayed in that direction too.after asking sam a lot of questions in the most famous and longest thread on tbhp( Car Audio advice from Navin, Sam & Friends) and pming him i finally made up my mind and settled for the JBL GTO 936e.thanx a lot sam for helping out i just love them !!

so there i had made up my mind but on realizing they cost a bomb.ie Rs 4750 i thought about it again.my budget couldnt exceed 12k .i would have got the pioneers , both rear and front speakers for a little under Rs 4500 and just the jbl rears cost me a littlle more than that.but i was sure of it and so i saved up a bit more and finally decided to get the 936 for the rear and the 426 upfront.now the problem was the head unit.decided to get the jvc and got one of the base models for 5500 as i couldnt afford anything more than that.

and finally about a week back after a lot of saving up got my music system finallized and after cheacking with sam went ahead and got it installed.

it sounded fine.the bass was amazing the clarity was really good.but a man always wants something that he doesnt have.so on reading that the sony 5510 was going for approximately 5500 without warranty i thought of dropping by the shop and checking it out.

i go there and check out the sony frankly i didnt really like the black colour look but the display and the buttons looked very good.i spoke to him and told him that i was happy with the jvc but wanted the sony instead.thats when he asked me which model i have.i told him that i didnt really know so i asked him to check it out himself.after fiddling for about five minutes he said , "hmmm same problem !! im sorry but the piece i have given you is defected.infact almost all the units of this particular model have the same problem".ie.the bass , treble and fader options dont work.as you increase them you can see the numbers increasing or decreasing but no difference in sound.unfortunately i hadnt noticed that earlier as i got my setup installed and the very next day left for dubai.

anyway that really sounded strange to me.so i turned the volume up and tried doing the same and it really didnt make a difference increase bass to the max decreased it to the min but no difference in sound.he said it will have to be changed and instead of giving me the same model no.he advise me to go in for another when i said i would like to go in for the sony but he pointed out that incase some problem like this occured i would be in a big mess as i wouldnt have a bill or warranty.so finally decided to go in for a jvc itself but a different model.it cost about 5800 but he gave it to me in exchange for the problematic one with no extra charge.(really nice of him)

okay here is where the problem really starts.

got it changed today but on my way back i felt my speakers were cracking at a very low volume.infact as low as 28 as againt earlier that is 37+.i am really dissapointed with the same.Is there anything i can do to reduce the crackin.

Rev

Last edited by revtech : 11th September 2005 at 03:01.
Old 11th September 2005, 15:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

and i have another problem with the speakers.nothing wrong with the speakers its actually just the grilla lot of dust goes inside easily.noticed all this now as i was not in town earlier.will be putting up pics too.sam if you could help out it would really help.

will post in detail later

rev
Old 11th September 2005, 19:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

ok sam here is where i need you help.im posting a picture of the speaker..i know you see it everyday but im just putting it up as it will help me explain my problem.

the speaker's grill doesnt cover the entire speaker.it just covers the center.since the installation i used the car exactly thrice and today i noticed a lot of dust inside near the dome.after seeing the picture youll now exactly what im saying.dirt is just one thing of the things on my mind.what im eally scared of is if i put something on the tray and it sratches or tears the inner part as it moves it will totally destroy my speaker.so is there any way i can get a full grill so that the entire thing is covered so nothing can pierce it and at the same time minimal dirt will also enter.

here is the pic.

rev
Old 11th September 2005, 20:08   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

almost all the speakers are made that way these days..its a problem to keep things on the tray as a pen or something sharp goes thru the speaker its like gone..dont know whether jbl makes these full covers,but remember seeing a lot of old pioneer and sony speakers having full speaker covers..maybe u can fix one of those if ur that worried about things making their way through ur speakers..and regarding the dust thing its pretty difficult to keep the dust out,though u get dust pads for speakers not sure how efficiently they work though..
Old 11th September 2005, 21:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

even if by mistake something is kept on the tray like a bag or book or a pen as you suggested it could easily pierce it if it slides in through the sides !!

what exactly do you mean by dust pads ?? The blaunpank ones in my baleno have got the full cover and also a thin transparent piece of cloth that i presume kees the dust out.are those dust pads??

im not really looking for those but i really need the full cover as soon as possible

Rev

Last edited by revtech : 11th September 2005 at 21:18.
Old 11th September 2005, 21:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

thats my new JVC head unit in the picture after tweaking around a bit i can listen to my music at 28 when the fader is adjusted at F 3.but then the bass obiously isnt as good as it was when the fader is neutral or even F 1.it used to much better before.will it help if i try and switch cables.i mean the one coming from the right remove it and attach it to the left speaker and vice versa.will it make a difference or will it be the same.is there a problem if i do this ??

rev
Old 11th September 2005, 21:51   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well switching the cables should not be a problem provided ur cables are that long that u can stretch ur right cables to the left and the other way around..u can try it out..and no the thin cloth ur talking about are not the dust pods..will try and post a pic..and go to any accessories shop and ask him to give u the full covers for ur speakers,they will have plenty fallen with them..here is a pic for the speaker baffles but it wont protect ur speakers on the top but at the bottom..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 11th September 2005 at 21:53.
Old 11th September 2005, 23:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

I had a similar problem becuase i made a speaker but had no grill for it so i made a grill. it is quite easy. you get this perforated aluminum sheet and you cut it to size leavig room for bending the edges ito a C so you can glue the edge to the baffle. then get it powder painted black.
Old 11th September 2005, 23:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

hey navin your the experienced audio expert.i dont know if i will be able to do something like that.its not at all related to sound but you have worked with stuff like that since a long time .i wish i could do something like that.

Rev
Old 12th September 2005, 00:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
go to any accessories shop and ask him to give u the full covers for ur speakers,they will have plenty fallen with them..here is a pic for the speaker baffles but it wont protect ur speakers on the top but at the bottom..
wont these kind of muffel the sound or do they have to be put when the speakers are not in use ??

Rev
Old 12th September 2005, 11:18   #11
Team-BHP Support

nope they wont. they are acoustically transparent esp at low freq (the stuff the woofer woould be producing.). I use them. Since they are light I import them from crutchfiled along with stuff like 1F caps, streetwires, etc...

untill i chanced upon sam et. al. I did not bother with what the locals were doing (home or car audio). I did/do my own thing. importing drivers, caps, etc.. building my own inductors, fabricating enclosures, etc... like the guy in Gumball Rally said "the man behind me is not important". I have tried to get a few manufacturers interested in my mods but i guess they have bigger fis to fry and I was willing to give them the results of my findings for free! Audio to me was a passion (today my son is) and I dont hink I'll ever make it a livelihood.

To this end when imports were tougher I used to import spiders, and voice coils and build woofers myself. I got LEAP/LMS and measured some of the drivers using the added mass method and fixed box volume methods. Then wrote a small program for MLSSA that allowed one to graph the data (this was 10+ years ago).
Old 29th July 2015, 12:42   #12
BHPian

Re: JVC Head Unit Problem.

Hi, I am not sure if this thread is the right place to post such query. Requesting mods to move it if necessary.
I have been using JVC KD series single DIN music player(CD receiver) for more than three years. It is working fine till date except there is an issue encountered since last week. Most of the time I use USB flash drive (Transcend) to play the music. The issue is while driving sometimes the mode changes automatically to CD from USB. Once it changes to CD it tires to eject the CD though I never put any CD inside. When this happens I manually change the mode to USB to get the things back to normal. Sometimes this problem happens frequently say once in every 10 minutes and sometimes rarely. So far I have checked the USB flash drive with computers and formatted it and copied the music files once again and it seems not an issue with USB flash drive. Though I did not check with a different USB flash drive. I am using the same USB flash drive with this music player in a dedicated way with this music player. Only concern is this USB flash drive is too old, bought in 2006. I also removed the head unit and re attached but still no luck. The product is out of warranty at this moment. Appreciate if anyone shares any clue or DIY steps to troubleshoot this issue.
Old 29th July 2015, 15:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: JVC Head Unit Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHigh View Post
... while driving sometimes the mode changes automatically to CD from USB. ...
1. Most likely there is a problem in the faceplate buttons. The CD mode button must be getting (spuriously) pressed by vibrations, causing the HU to select CD

2. The other possibility is of the pendrive sitting loose in the socket. Less likely

Take it to the JVC service center. They should be able to replicate the issue by tapping the HU repeatedly.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 12:05   #14
BHPian

Hi, Thank you for the suggestion. I took this to JVC technician but could not replicate the issue.
They wanted to keep the head unit for sometime. I did not give it to them and decided to wait for few more days expecting the problem to become more prominent. As workaround I arranged a MP3 CD and inserted it instead of the USB flash drive. Till then the issue did not appear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks