Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 12:04   #1
BHPian

Blaupunkt Plug n Play Amp

Hi!
I am planning to buy a Blaupunkt THA 475 PnP amp to connect to my Fiesta OEM HU & aftermarket 5 x 7 component speakers in front & aftermarket 5x 7 coaxial speakers at the back.
This amp seems to offer the following advantages.
1. No need to buy a line output converter.
2. No need to buy power, ground, remote turn-on, RCA & speaker cables.
3. No need to strip the car completely to run all these cables.
However, I am worried about the following issues.
1. How much stripping will nonetheless be needed to run the amp's extension harness?
2. Will the thin power cable in the extension harness create a fire hazard?
3. Since power & audio cables run together in the extension harness, will there be noise issues?
4. This is a D class amp. Is a D class amp an incorrect choice for these speakers?
My sincere thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 6th February 2010, 19:48   #2
BHPian

Here are a few links for some more information on the amp, adapter cable & extension harness.
Blaupunkt: THA-Series
Blaupunkt Plug N Play Adapter Cable Plug your THA PnP Series amplifier into select BMW vehicles (without FAKRA harness connections) at Crutchfield.com
Blaupunkt Plug N Play Cable Extension harnesses for THA PnP Series amplifiers Available in 8.2- and 18-foot lengths at Crutchfield.com

Last edited by nura : 6th February 2010 at 19:49.
Old 6th February 2010, 21:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Blaupunkt makes PnP for OE HUs made by Blau (and they make a *lot* of those). I am not sure of the origins of the Fiesta HU - could be by some other company. You could write to Blaupunkt India (via the website) - I am sure they will be able to clarify. Most dealers usually limit their knowledge to stuff that moves easily, and don't ask the way to the villages they don't intend to go to.

Other answers in-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
... However, I am worried about the following issues.
1. How much stripping will nonetheless be needed to run the amp's extension harness?
If the right adapter is used - none.
2. Will the thin power cable in the extension harness create a fire hazard?
No, since the current requirement for the Class D amp is much less that that of the usual Class AB.
3. Since power & audio cables run together in the extension harness, will there be noise issues?
The signal cables are shielded in their adapter.
4. This is a D class amp. Is a D class amp an incorrect choice for these speakers? ...
Not at all. Alpine and others make good Class D 4/5 channel amps
Old 8th February 2010, 11:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Blaupunkt makes PnP for OE HUs made by Blau (and they make a *lot* of those). I am not sure of the origins of the Fiesta HU - could be by some other company. You could write to Blaupunkt India (via the website) - I am sure they will be able to clarify. Most dealers usually limit their knowledge to stuff that moves easily, and don't ask the way to the villages they don't intend to go to.
AFAIK the Ikon/Fiesta get Ford branded Sanyo HUs.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:16   #5
BHPian

Thank you @DerAlte & @SPARKled.
I am not sure if the Blaupunkt India website was been taken down after Bosch sold the brand to Aurelius. I have been unable to get to it recently although I am fairly certain I have done so several times in the past.
Before starting this thread I did manage to google the telephone number of the authorised service centre in Bangalore, who put me on to the Mumbai distributor, who in turn put me on to the Delhi distributor. The amp is available in Delhi & costs 10K. An adapter for the Fiesta HU "should" be available with them. As rightly pointed out by @SPARKled, this a Sanyo unit.
I guess I need to get a confirmation from the Delhi distributor that they do indeed have the adapter before proceeding further.
Any cons to installing an amp under the front passenger's seat?
Old 9th February 2010, 17:38   #6
BHPian

Can you please detail out how PnP amp avoids stripping the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks