Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 11:04   #1

Need expert advice on ICE for my New Scorpio !!!

Hi Guys,

I have bought Scorpio MHawk SLE, around 2 weeks back.

I have taken the liberty to share the purchase experience, in brief at

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...mhawk-sle.html

I am here in particular to seek suggestions on following :

1) ICE - my music of choice is Rock, soft Rock, Metal, Trance etc.
I have been thinking about Headset - Pioneer (with USB and IPod conncetivity), Speakers - JBL (both rear and front) with dampening of course and tweeters.
I am not to keen on Amp and Sub Woofer (not very keen on loud noise outside vehicle, just need brilliant sound fo rmyself in the car only). Pls suggest.

2) Seats - Leather or fabric (no third choice)

3) Gear Lock or Steering Lock (i guess i need one driving in Delhi)

Would be really grateful if any of the Gurus can suggest on the above.

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

it was me who suggested copper to post in this section. 2 days gone, only 38 views & no replies!!!
cmon guys, help him out or i will start talking nonsense about ICE setups & you will be forced to reply!

@ copper: if at all you get answers, that will be limited to ICE, seats & steering lock can be discussed in your ownership thread too.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get a HU - Kenwood / Pioneer / Alpine
Front Components - Illusion / JBL / Infinity etc.
Rear Coax / 6x9 - Preferably same company as Front components.
Buy a 4 channel amp - Blaupunkt GT-4MK2.
And a basic entry level sub - GZ / JBL.

This wont mean that the outside car will be loud.
Get damping and good RCAs and you should be good to go.

Specify a budget for proper model no.s
Old 17th February 2010, 15:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperhead View Post
2) Seats - Leather or fabric (no third choice)
3) Gear Lock or Steering Lock (i guess i need one driving in Delhi)
Seats - Stanley make excellent seats. I am very happy with their service and product quality.

Steering Lock: You could get an electronic alarm or a mechincal lock like the Club like the link below
Amazon.com: Universal Anti-Theft Steering Wheel Lock - Quick On/Off: Automotive

I have seen some imported (from China or Taiwan) in Mumbai.

Also read this it might give you some pointers.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...car-theft.html
Old 18th February 2010, 13:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
it was me who suggested copper to post in this section. 2 days gone, only 38 views & no replies!!!
cmon guys, help him out or i will start talking nonsense about ICE setups & you will be forced to reply!

@ copper: if at all you get answers, that will be limited to ICE, seats & steering lock can be discussed in your ownership thread too.

Thanks Raj !!!
Old 18th February 2010, 13:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Get a HU - Kenwood / Pioneer / Alpine
Front Components - Illusion / JBL / Infinity etc.
Rear Coax / 6x9 - Preferably same company as Front components.
Buy a 4 channel amp - Blaupunkt GT-4MK2.
And a basic entry level sub - GZ / JBL.

This wont mean that the outside car will be loud.
Get damping and good RCAs and you should be good to go.

Specify a budget for proper model no.s
@ Abhinav
My budget is around 25-30K for ICE.

But HU - Only Pioneer !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Seats - Stanley make excellent seats. I am very happy with their service and product quality.

Steering Lock: You could get an electronic alarm or a mechincal lock like the Club like the link below
Amazon.com: Universal Anti-Theft Steering Wheel Lock - Quick On/Off: Automotive

I have seen some imported (from China or Taiwan) in Mumbai.

Also read this it might give you some pointers.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...car-theft.html

@ Navin - Thanks buddy, this shoudl give me some pointers.
Old 19th February 2010, 00:57   #7
BHPian

@copperhead-I maybe off-topic but just for your information, I listen to the same kind of songs as you do. As of now, the ICE in my car is totally Pioneer. 2 speakers upfront (the smaller ones) and 2 at the rear (6"X9"). And they sound too good at medium volume. The thump at even mid volumes reminds of a subwoofer but you may not consider this as you don't like a "loud car". So, my pick is to get Pioneer Head-Unit with USB, I-pod etc. support and good speakers and tweeters from Pioneer itself. You will surely like them.

For, your kind of volumes they would give a rich and deep bass alongwith a nice treble and clear voices. This is purely my suggestion based on my personal experience.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 19th February 2010 at 00:58.
Old 19th February 2010, 00:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
@ Abhinav
My budget is around 25-30K for ICE.

But HU - Only Pioneer !!!

@ Navin - Thanks buddy, this shoudl give me some pointers.
Ohh! nice decision. Saw this much later. You'll love this head unit's output for sure. I do.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:46   #9

@Abhi - Thanks buddy, for sharing your experience, Ya, me too always wanted to avoid Amp and Sub due to volume levels, but then some ppl told me for Scorpio i might just need one, since it doesnt have a tray and for the general size too...lets see !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
@copperhead-I maybe off-topic but just for your information, I listen to the same kind of songs as you do. As of now, the ICE in my car is totally Pioneer. 2 speakers upfront (the smaller ones) and 2 at the rear (6"X9"). And they sound too good at medium volume. The thump at even mid volumes reminds of a subwoofer but you may not consider this as you don't like a "loud car". So, my pick is to get Pioneer Head-Unit with USB, I-pod etc. support and good speakers and tweeters from Pioneer itself. You will surely like them.

For, your kind of volumes they would give a rich and deep bass alongwith a nice treble and clear voices. This is purely my suggestion based on my personal experience.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:44   #10

Got ICE in my Scorpio !!!

Hi Guys,

So, finally i got ICE installed in my Scorpio. Got it from Ludhiana from a Distributor (Pio and JBL) who retails too, with B&W.

1) HU - Pioneer DEH 2190 UB (with USB and Ipod connectivity at the front) - Rs. 5800/-
2) Front - JBL Component GTO 608C - Rs. 6300/-
3) Rear - JBL GTO 948 - Rs. 5800
4) Sub - JBL CS 1215 1200 W - Rs. 3500/-
5) Amp - Alpine 4 Channel (Rs. 6000 - not sure )
6) Wiring Set - Rs. 1700 JBL (were they original, i dont know honestly)

Everthing around 30 k

Also got full Lumar tinting done for Rs. 2500 (50 for sides and 70 for front and rear) with warranty and certificate.

Issues -

1)Mine is an 8 Seater Scorpio SLE (last row front facing), so the issue is the placement of rear speakers and Sub. I have the Sub and Rear speakers sitting just behind the last row. But when i turn up the volume, the back door sheet rattles, and also i really feel its not the right placement for sub and rear speakers. The installer discouraged me from installing rear speakers on the back door, since the sheet needs to be cut to the speaker size, the holes given are a lot smaller than JBL 948.

As a result i feel i am losing out on a lot of sound quality.BTW Front speakers are awesome.

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHAT SHOULD I DO? i am ok with getting them reinstalled from a good installer once again in Delhi.

2) Also i feel my Radio Sound is not the best, i always hear a faint disturbance at the background of the radio voice.

3) When my stereo was being installed, the power coming from the steering set up to enable on/off with ignition key, resulted in no power to the stereo time and again, it just wont start once turned off.(there is a problem with vehicle wiring et up) So, we had to give the power to the stereo directly from the battery. I am OK with this, but can this be the cause of the faint radio disturbance?

I have spent around 30 k on the setup, equipment is great, just that given everything is JBL, i feel i should get better sound, i am sure its with the rear speaker setup.

PLEASE SUGGEST.

Last edited by DerAlte : 23rd February 2010 at 14:07.
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

So, finally i got ICE installed in my Scorpio. Got it from Ludhiana from a Distributor (Pio and JBL) who retails too, with B&W.

1) HU - Pioneer DEH 2190 UB (with USB and Ipod connectivity at the front) - Rs. 5800/-
2) Front - JBL Component GTO 608C - Rs. 6300/-
3) Rear - JBL GTO 948 - Rs. 5800
4) Sub - JBL CS 1215 1200 W - Rs. 3500/-
5) Amp - Alpine 4 Channel (Rs. 6000 - not sure )
6) Wiring Set - Rs. 1700 JBL (were they original, i dont know honestly)

Everthing around 30 k
congrats on the setup buddy.

Quote:
Issues -

1)Mine is an 8 Seater Scorpio SLE (last row front facing), so the issue is the placement of rear speakers and Sub. I have the Sub and Rear speakers sitting just behind the last row. But when i turn up the volume, the back door sheet rattles, and also i really feel its not the right placement for sub and rear speakers. The installer discouraged me from installing rear speakers on the back door, since the sheet needs to be cut to the speaker size, the holes given are a lot smaller than JBL 948.

As a result i feel i am losing out on a lot of sound quality.BTW Front speakers are awesome.

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHAT SHOULD I DO? i am ok with getting them reinstalled from a good installer once again in Delhi.
if you remember, i had mentioned this in the PM that i sent you.

anyways, what you can do is, remove the thin sheet from the boot door which mahindra has provided & replace it with a thicker MDF board & then you can mount your speakers on that board. for the subwoofer, i would suggest you get a custom made box from a professional installer. he would make proper use of that space.

alternatively, you can also replace the thin sheet with a more bulbous conical shaped enclosure on the boot door & mount the sub on the boot door. i have seen this in one scorpio but only professional installers can tell you the pros/cons & outcome of such a setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks