Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2010, 16:18   #1
BHPian

Carputers And Pc Have Same Cpu ???

hey if my question is wrong you people will find really find me stupid actually the thing is i have no idea about carputers so i wanted to ask that the CPU which you use in cars for carputers is the same as that we use at home (the normal PCs ??) and it is connected to the touch screen ???? PLEASE reply as soon as possible as i have 1 pc at my place and no one uses it maybe i can bring it to use
Old 7th March 2010, 16:27   #2
BHPian

By CPU, do you mean the whole box or the processor ? Assuming you mean the whole cabinet, here's the reply.

An average home CPU consumes anything between 200W to 1000W, even more if you're a hardcore serious user. On carputers, power consumption is kept low, lower than 100W I guess. Your car battery will die powering a home PC.

Besides, a home PC is designed to be used in static conditions. Some of it's components like HDD may not survive The Potholed Indian Adventure.

And a home PC has more power than what's required for Car PC.

Car PCs use Atom or equivalent processors, which consume power to the tune of 1-2W, compared to 40-140W for a Home PC CPU.

A Home PC is anything but practical in an automobile. Hope this answers your query.
Old 7th March 2010, 16:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
By CPU, do you mean the whole box or the processor ? Assuming you mean the whole cabinet, here's the reply.

An average home CPU consumes anything between 200W to 1000W, even more if you're a hardcore serious user. On carputers, power consumption is kept low, lower than 100W I guess. Your car battery will die powering a home PC.

Besides, a home PC is designed to be used in static conditions. Some of it's components like HDD may not survive The Potholed Indian Adventure.

Car PCs use Atom or equivalent processors, which consume power to the tune of 1-2W, compared to 40-140W for a Home PC CPU.

A Home PC is anything but practical in an automobile. Hope this answers your query.
so can i do some changes in that pc i have at home and use it in car ??? what all changes would be required if yes ??
Old 7th March 2010, 16:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque.steer View Post
so can i do some changes in that pc i have at home and use it in car ??? what all changes would be required if yes ??
you can do it, remove the SMPS from home computer and fit a DC-DC power supply which comes for carputer, you can check iride.in for details.

however using a high end home PC in car would be waste of battery power
as said by "anku94" Atom processor is best suited for basic car pc needs.
Old 7th March 2010, 16:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
you can do it, remove the SMPS from home computer and fit a DC-DC power supply which comes for carputer, you can check iride.in for details.

however using a high end home PC in car would be waste of battery power
as said by "anku94" Atom processor is best suited for basic car pc needs.
so how much will it cost to put a carputer in all with new Atom processor and with my home pc motherboard with DC-DC power supply ??? but after attaching DC-DC power supply it won't consume extra power na ??? it will work as normal carputer right ???
Old 7th March 2010, 17:18   #6
BHPian

Well, the main components of the CPU cost about 10k-12k...the touchscreen costs another 10k approximately. If you want Centrafuse, it costs another 3k...if you want OBD, another 2k..GPS, another 2-3k...

It's you who has to step down, decide a budget, and plan a CarPC accordingly. PS - All prices are crude estimations just to give you an idea. The actual prices may vary by 1k or so...

Last edited by anku94 : 7th March 2010 at 17:22.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the main components of the CPU cost about 10k-12k...the touchscreen costs another 10k approximately. If you want Centrafuse, it costs another 3k...if you want OBD, another 2k..GPS, another 2-3k...

It's you who has to step down, decide a budget, and plan a CarPC accordingly. PS - All prices are crude estimations just to give you an idea. The actual prices may vary by 1k or so...
hey thanks a lot for all the information i need a little more help please can you please list all the items i will require to build such carputer ??? please list them as soon as possible

thanks a lot
Old 7th March 2010, 22:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

the car pcs being used have the Intel atom processors which are low on power consumption compared to the usual core2duo or Pentium processors.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey if my question is wrong you people will find really find me stupid actually the thing is i have no idea about carputers so i wanted to ask that the CPU which you use in cars for carputers is the same as that we use at home (the normal PCs ??) and it is connected to the touch screen ???? PLEASE reply as soon as possible as i have 1 pc at my place and no one uses it maybe i can bring it to use

You can use any Motherboard and processor combo in a Carputer that are available for PCs , as long as the power supply for the carputer can handle the setup. generally the PC SMPS is around 400watts -and above to handle the new multi core processor.
So if you have funds I would suggest a Atom N270 or the new N330 processor[dual core] with a min-itx board, these thing are powerful and consume far less power [good for car setup] and the price starts at Rs 3500/- for mother board as well as processor,
-A DC-DC power supply for running the setup from a car electrical system.
-A 2.5" HDD , preferably the once that have shock protection [something from Toshiba].
-A 2GB RAM stick , it helps boot up from hibernation in under 20 sec, for XP lite.
-A Metal cabinet for min-itx boards, prices start at Rs600/-
-Touch screen, what ever your budget permit's, start at 10,000/-
- USB cables, for attaching a thumb drive or key board/mouse [if needed],GPS,USB radio,etc
-power cable with fuse.
-GSP if needed 1800-2500/-
-USB Radio if needed prices stare at around 1000/-

Last edited by dinar : 7th March 2010 at 22:46.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
You can use any Motherboard and processor combo in a Carputer that are available for PCs , as long as the power supply for the carputer can handle the setup. generally the PC SMPS is around 400-and above to handle the new multi core processor.
So if you have funds I would suggest a Atom N270 or the new N330 processor[dual core] with a min-itx board, these thing are powerful and consume far less power [good for car setup] and the price starts at Rs 3500/- for mother board as well as processor, than you'll require a DC-DC power supply for running the setup from a car electrical system.
any idea where i can find them in new delhi ???
Old 7th March 2010, 22:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No idea buddy. most of the parts will be available with any good computer shop, except for the DC-DC power supply, that you can buy from i-ride or online.
As for touch screen same i-ride or online. may have luck with this at car accessory shops.
There will be a computer part street some place in Delhi buddy.
Also you may need Centrafuse front end for the carputer.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
No idea buddy. most of the parts will be available with any good computer shop, except for the DC-DC power supply, that you can buy from i-ride or online.
As for touch screen same i-ride or online. may have luck with this at car accessory shops.
There will be a computer part street some place in Delhi buddy.
Also you may need Centrafuse front end for the carputer.
thanks for the information
Old 7th March 2010, 23:11   #13
BHPian

torque.steer, even i am sourcing parts for a carputer.
soon after my exams are over, i'll go to Nehru place to source the parts. i am sure i'll be able to source the atom processor, motherboard, ram and hard disk as these are the same which are used in the laptops. touch screen, as many of our fellow bhpians said, are available through iride or may be eBay USA. in all, a carputer costs something around 30k, that includes the cpu cabinet, touchscreen and wiring. i think the fabrication for the touchscreen would cost some more bucks.
Old 8th March 2010, 00:11   #14
BHPian

And you might wanna try OBD as well, if your ride supports it....
Old 8th April 2010, 19:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
There is no one-stop-shop where you can get all components of a carputer. DC-DC power supply, touchscreen, cabinet etc would need to be sourced from overseas or iride. You can visit Nehru Place for things like motherboard, HDD, RAM, input devices etc. Visit Team-bhp.com if u're looking for a nut like you (and me) .

Edit : Which car ?

Last edited by StreetAddict : 8th April 2010 at 19:28. Reason: Addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks