Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2010, 01:25   #1

Need some help with ICE

Hello,
I'm trying to upgrade my music system, and i have a budget of 30k +/- 2k.
I'm getting really confused as someone says alpine, someone eclipse some pioneer and some JVC. So i need a list that has been tried and tested for a SWIFT. I'm currently using a full Pioneer system. Hud + 2 rear + 2 front
I'd be really greatfull.

Here's what i'm looking for :-
1. HUD
2. AMPS
3. SUB
4. COMPS

I'll be playing only AUDIO CD's as they give the best music output compared to usb or aux. Bluetooth is not really required. Thanks in advance.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:50   #2
BHPian

In this budget range, I would suggest good components, rears, amplifier and if possible then replace head unit. Adding a subwoofer and a Mono in this budget is not advisable because its better to have a good system rather than a crappy system.. Also, if you plan to power the speakers through built in HU Mosfet, then go for an Alpine HeadUnit (always the best) with all 4 Ohm speakers from Kicker or JBL. An Alpine or a JBL Mono Amplifier with a JBL/Kicker subwoofer will be good enough...
Old 27th March 2010, 20:31   #3

Well i just had a talk with some of my friends, and they told me JBL is actually not that great at all, in fact that it sucks, and that i should go for POLK MOMO sub, and a JBL mono for that, plus i shouldn't put rear speakers just 2 on both front and back doors powered by a 4 channel amp, and comps. They told me my HU is actually good enough. Well hence i'm in a dilemma again. i'm supposed to get this done day after tomorrow, or on Wednesday. Help Me Please.
Also can anyone suggest me where i could get Darth Vader for my car. i'm planning to make a star wars red theme inside, and putting up Dim red lights.
Old 29th March 2010, 01:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
I'm getting really confused as someone says alpine, someone eclipse some pioneer and some JVC. So i need a list that has been tried and tested for a SWIFT.

I'll be playing only AUDIO CD's as they give the best music output compared to usb or aux. Bluetooth is not really required. Thanks in advance.
the beginning of confusion is a great way for a novice to get smitten by the ICE bug and spend sleepless nights tossing n turning on how best to do his ICE. you are in the right place.

i believe every person has his taste when it comes to music. which is why different people have different ICE. with confusion, the process to evaluate will begin. and you can start by listening to your heart... ah sorry. it's the wife you need the heart for. you can start by listening to your ears and judge analytically the subtle differences of music.. (but don't ignore your heart) and it's a vast jungle. a head unit x... will sound different with speakers a, b and c. but let that not deter you from trying. i must only ensure that you avoid the tried and tested by which you'll only be going for a setup that your friends will like and adore you for. peer pressure. ignore it.

Buy a clarion HX-D2 since you are one of the rare gems who appreciate musical detail. spend all yr money on it. you won't have to upgrade for next 5-7 years at least.

then let the ICE folks here take over and ensure that you do everything that does justice to your head unit. for the time being, you could get an old school amp, connect any component set that sounds good to you, add a monoblock and a sub.

Quote:
Well i just had a talk with some of my friends, and they told me JBL is actually not that great at all, in fact that it sucks, and that i should go for POLK MOMO sub, and a JBL mono for that, plus i shouldn't put rear speakers just 2 on both front and back doors powered by a 4 channel amp, and comps. They told me my HU is actually good enough. Well hence i'm in a dilemma again. i'm supposed to get this done day after tomorrow, or on Wednesday. Help Me Please.
Also can anyone suggest me where i could get Darth Vader for my car. i'm planning to make a star wars red theme inside, and putting up Dim red lights.
ignore your friends. if you listen to audio CDs and have an ear that clearly distinguishes CD music fr inferior ones, you've got talent and the HX-D2 will be one thing you won't regret. spend another 2-3 yrs making sound purchases (as in good stuff worth its money). and yr set up will be ready.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th March 2010 at 10:53. Reason: montyguru, you can surf the internet in any state you please - but please follow our rules when posting here (See rule #11)
Old 3rd April 2010, 15:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can try the new Pioneer DEX-P99RS. The price range is same as of HX-D2 but ahead leap and bound in terms of features and tuning options. About SQ it depends on individual taste and I find 99RS better than HX-D2 !!!
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:07   #6
BHPian

It'll be a lot easier if we knew what your taste in music is like. Whether you prefer SQ (vocal stuff etc.) or SPL (House, techno, etc.)

If you are seriously interested in building a very nice sounding set up and not looking at entry level stuff for all equipment, I would suggest you do it in instalments, and not all at once, as time and money permits. If 30K is the max you're going to spend anyway, you can do everything at once.

Firstly, don't go by what ANYONE tells you in terms of brands. Trust your ears. Don't be in a hurry, since ICE is not upgraded/changed everyday.
Take suggestions and then listen to the equipment suggested and "hear" if you actually like it.

The suggestions of top-end HUs for someone on a 30K budget is totally impractical. The Clarion, in my opinion, would be more appropriate in a set up upwards of 1 lakh! That's just me.

Buy a decent HU. Buy components for the front (I'm assuming you drive and not a driver). Power these fronts off a decent 4 or even 2 channel amplifier. Rear speakers are not absolutely necessary. You can always add them later and power them off the HU. look for a sub that delivers the kind of bass you like (trust me, there are ALL types of bass!) Then choose a mono to power your sub; one that has adequate power to make the sub sound like you want.

In any form of investment, your primary investment should be TIME! Use this time to read up, research, PM T-bhp members who have set ups in your budget, ask their views and if possible, listen to as many as you can. This is how, you'll ever reach the best possible configuration that suits YOUR tastes.

T-bhpians are a most helpful lot and I'm sure most, if not all, would be more than happy to give you a demo of their ICE set ups.

Last edited by vikram18 : 3rd April 2010 at 16:14. Reason: typos
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:16   #7
BHPian

Guys I think his budget is about 30k and I already see recommendations for HUs that cost about 3x his budget.

Hey Labyrinth for a budget of around 32k, you could set aside
9k for the HU
6k for components
10k for a good 4 channel amp
4k for a sub
3-4k installation, wiring, etc

Hope this helps.

Last edited by pranava999 : 3rd April 2010 at 23:19.
Old 6th April 2010, 00:32   #8

Got ICE?

Thanks everyone for your help. I finally got my setup done today >
i'm pretty happy with what i have now, even though i overshot my budget by a LOT..!! lol but it's all good.

Here's what all i got - (Highly discounted Rates with B/W)
JVC hu - KD-AVX22 - 19k
Polk Audio DB 650 components + Speakers - 6k + 1.7k
Polk Audio 6x9 Coax Speakers - 4.6k
12'' Polk MM Subwoofer - 9k
4 channel JBL Amp - 5.6k
Monoblock JBL - 8.3k
FSK Amp kit - 1.7k
FPK power kit - 1.7k
Damping - 5k
+ Misc like wires and boxes and labour - 5k

The Grand Total - Approx 68,000 /-

lol and i started from 40k hahaha.
And the end result. MUSIC = SEXY
(coz i mostly listen to house the beats are insane and crispy clear)
Old 6th April 2010, 10:03   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the new set-up. Good to know you are thoroughly enjoying the set-up. Where did you get the install done ? B'lore or Delhi? Which JBL amp did you go in for?

Also do post pics of the install that would complete the thread.

Last edited by pranava999 : 6th April 2010 at 10:08.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:14   #10

i am a big fan of polk audio,my hom theatre is polk.i wanted to put polk components for my polo,but some said they are too bright.u say u love the 'crispy' sound,how do u find the treble in the car? is it too 'crispy'?
Old 6th April 2010, 13:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth957 View Post
i am a big fan of polk audio,my hom theatre is polk.i wanted to put polk components for my polo,but some said they are too bright.u say u love the 'crispy' sound,how do u find the treble in the car? is it too 'crispy'?
I said crispy clear!! It never sounds overboard from what it should be!! Truthfully Polk is now one of my favs!! The sub(Polk mm 1240) is actualy the star attraction it has so much power it actually makes my rear view mirror bend down!! Not just shake lol!

I got the setup in Bangalore itself ! Will upload pics today lol sitting in class right now :P
Old 6th April 2010, 13:33   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the setup

Quote:
The sub(Polk mm 1240) is actualy the star attraction it has so much power it actually makes my rear view mirror bend down!! Not just shake lol!
That could be dangerous, have the mirror fixed

Last edited by sathee46 : 6th April 2010 at 13:39.
Old 6th April 2010, 21:22   #13

Already did They tightened some screws and they made it stronger.!
Old 7th April 2010, 10:16   #14
BHPian

where did you get the install done?
Old 7th April 2010, 20:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
where did you get the install done?
Got it from Junction 4th block.
Dinesh He's an excellent guy. Good stuff, great people..
He actually tuned it pretty well too..!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks