Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 23:11   #1
BHPian

Home Theater Woofer In Car ????

hey i am planning to attach my home theater woofer to my car is it possible ??
i have got JVC HU with blaupunkt rear speakers... my HU has Y RCA cable popping out from back which i use for playing songs through phone via LINE IN..
I have a woofer (AKAI) of home theater which i don't use anymore... so is it possible for me to connect that to my car audio system using AMP or any other modification because a person who fits music systems in cars told me that it is not possible because of different power consumption.. so any chance ??
attaching the pics of the woofer

AC-220-240v
120W
50Hz
Attached Thumbnails
Home Theater Woofer In Car ????-img00431201003210159.jpg  

Home Theater Woofer In Car ????-img00433201003210159.jpg  

Home Theater Woofer In Car ????-img00434201003210159.jpg  

Home Theater Woofer In Car ????-img00435201003210200.jpg  

Old 21st March 2010, 23:25   #2

Connecting -220-240v amplifier is not possible i guess. I dont think Car battery produce 230 volt output.
Old 21st March 2010, 23:54   #3
BHPian

I know the other way around the car woofer to home . But this one actually i have to keep checking on this thread cause i need to learn how to do this as well . But somehow i have the feeling even if you get it installed in your car you might not be able to get that sort of bass which you can get from a proper car woofer . I might be wrong though.
Old 22nd March 2010, 00:14   #4
BHPian

This is a active / powered woofer.
Your home woofer runs on 220v AC. there is a down-charger inside with a inbuilt 120w amp.
This inbuilt amp will not work on 12v DC that your car battery will provide.

But there is a way. It involves some surgery of your powered woofer.
Remove the down-charger and the inbuilt 120w amp. Connect the woofer terminal directly to your car amp. (Not the HU, but the Car amp that you are going to install)
this should get the woofer working.

ONE DOUBT - Home speakers are normally 8ohms, would this home woofer also be 8ohms. Still should work.

Therefore technically it should work but I would still suggest against this. Reason being,
  • Car woofer are specially made for car with smaller area, where as home woofer are built for your living room area.
  • Home woofer may not take the vibrations a car will offer, again not designed for this application.
  • 8 ohms woofer running on 4 ohms will be lacking power / punch.
  • Your adding an amp, so buy a budget JBL / GZ woofer and a sealed box aswell. no headache.
These are my understanding of woofers systems. If I am wrong, Gurus please correct me.

UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 22nd March 2010 at 00:19.
Old 22nd March 2010, 01:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Do you have a spare UPS or inverter by any chance? Anything that takes 12V (2 batteries)? Otherwise you will need to buy a car inverter to power the Akai unit. The internal voltage is 36V or something, so directly connecting 12V is not a solution.

Output from the HU would be sufficient to drive it, just needs an RCA cable. Despite car gain, the bass it produces is likely to be inferior to regular car subwoofers driven by proper amplifiers. However, it is unlikely to be that bad - would perhaps just make it's presence felt. It will not go down very low - maybe 50-60Hz - since inside the box there is only a 6.5" woofer. The box is ported, so don't expect tight bass.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Do you have a spare UPS or inverter by any chance? Anything that takes 12V (2 batteries)? Otherwise you will need to buy a car inverter to power the Akai unit. The internal voltage is 36V or something, so directly connecting 12V is not a solution.

Output from the HU would be sufficient to drive it, just needs an RCA cable. Despite car gain, the bass it produces is likely to be inferior to regular car subwoofers driven by proper amplifiers. However, it is unlikely to be that bad - would perhaps just make it's presence felt. It will not go down very low - maybe 50-60Hz - since inside the box there is only a 6.5" woofer. The box is ported, so don't expect tight bass.
thanks for the advice... but after knowing all this i think its better for me to put a car sub woofer in my car instead of doing all these dramas :P
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque.steer View Post
thanks for the advice... but after knowing all this i think its better for me to put a car sub woofer in my car instead of doing all these dramas :P
Glad you followed the suggestion . Had a friend who hooked up a desi big box with a woofer sort of thing in it and he hooked it up in his maruti 800 . It worked but then on the long drives with vibrations and rattling it use to sometime gets disconnected then he use to lift the volume to hear songs,and then sometimes gets connected by itself then turn the volume down. The sound was concentrated more for home not for a small car. so the bass was never adequate but the sound was more . And lots of hassles . Moreover he use to feel embarassed cause it looks like what we call in india "jugaad" . Doesnt look like a clean made for the thing sort of job .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks