Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2005, 05:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Subwoofer Wiring

Hi folks...

I see this is asked often so here are detailed diagrams for wiring your subs properly...

SVC or Single Voice Coil Subs (4 Ohms)

Series SVC

Parallel SVC

Mixed SVC

DVC or Dual Voice Coil Subs (4+4 Ohms)

Series DVC

Parallel DVC

Mixed DVC

Hope this helps u guys...

From Navin: This post was edited with help from Mohit and Sam The original pics were too big.

Last edited by navin : 3rd October 2005 at 12:13.
Old 2nd October 2005, 05:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the images being too big... I tried smaller sizes but the cables (black lines) would disappear... also the smaller images wouldnt print well...
Old 2nd October 2005, 16:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gunbir,whats the advantage/disadvantage of Single and dual coil subs and which subs do u/other companies use 2 make teh sub box/tube
Old 2nd October 2005, 16:34   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Hi Gunbir,whats the advantage/disadvantage of Single and dual coil subs and which subs do u/other companies use 2 make teh sub box/tube
hhhmm..now that none of the audio gurus are here..let me try to explain the theory behind single and dual voice coil subs..

Voice Coil:
The voice coil consists of a former (or bobbin) with wire wound around it. The voice coil is attached to the bottom of the cone and extends into the air gap surrounding the pole piece. The voice coil translates the magnet's energy into cone motion.

Dual voice coil subwoofer:
While typical speaker drivers have one voice coil, dual voice coil (DVC) subwoofers allow you the advantage of flexibility in wiring your system. Parallel wiring provides for maximum amplifier output, while series wiring lets you configure multiple woofers to one amplifier at an acceptable impedance. In series/parallel mode, you can wire 4 woofers to a single amp, for example, and still maintain a compatible impedance. Independent wiring lets you drive a single sub without bridging (or by bridging a four channel amp to one sub)...
well a lot of the companies make subs in both single and dual voice coils and its up to u to choose them pertaining to ur need..
hope that helps ur query...
Old 2nd October 2005, 19:21   #5
BHPian

JK,

The dual voice coil subs have lot of advantages over single voice coil subwoofers. They are as follows :

1. Using multiple subwoofers and arriving at a suitable impedance is much easier using DVC subs than SVC (as explained by McLaren)

2. In majority of cases the DVC Subs are more senstive than SVC subs, they will play loud at the same power)

3. They can take more power which translates in more powerful bass.

There are lot of combinations of voice coils available. You get SVC, DVC and QVC (quad voice coil). The most common subs are either SVC or DVC (QVC are very rare and expensive ,used only for SPL competitions). In DVC the voice coils can be of various impedance 2 X 2 Ohms, 2 X 4 Ohms, 2 X 6 Ohms etc. Though the first two are most common.

So here is the table :

Voice Coil Wired in Series Wired in parallel

2 X 2 ohms 4 Ohms 1 Ohms

2 X 4 ohms 8 Ohms 2 Ohms

One should take care while buying the amp and subwoofer. Very few companies in India carry 2 X 2 Ohms subwoofers mostly there are 2 X 4ohms.

Now here is the problem when you use single 2 X 4 ohms subwoofer, at 8 Ohms (Series) the sub will get very less power and in 2 Ohms (parallel) which very few amps support (in bridged mode) the amp keep suffering from thermal shutdown or protection.

With 2 X 2 Ohms single sub you can wire the coils in series and present a 4 Ohm load which a bridges amp will be happy dealing with.

So choose the subwoofer or amplifier which complement each other and you can extract maximum power from your amplifier running it easy.

So using 2 X 2 Ohms subs is always better, it will extract more power than 2 X 4 ohms subwoofer in any configuration.
Old 2nd October 2005, 23:32   #6
Team-BHP Support

Gunbir, I request you to reduce the size of of ALL pictures you post here as this horizontal scrolling is very cumbersome.
Old 3rd October 2005, 00:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Navinji.. as posted before, I did the smaller ones but the wiring lines are thin and after GIF compression they disappear. What I suggest is everybody right click save them to your Pc and them see the images. your image viewer will fit them onto your screen automatically in most cases.
Old 3rd October 2005, 10:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

gunbir, i understand that the lines get thin but there should be a simpler way. horozontal scrolling makes posts very difficult to read and I am not the only one complaining. I am quite sure this must be available as a pdf link somewhere on the hertz website.
Old 3rd October 2005, 11:11   #9
BHPian

Why don't you upload them to imageshack and post the thumbnails here?
Old 3rd October 2005, 11:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

good idea mohit, i am not uptodate on all this technolgy. can someone does this please. I am so 70s! still use a 84 key keyboard!
Old 3rd October 2005, 11:41   #11
BHPian

Imageshacked!

Old 3rd October 2005, 11:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Here you go Navin,

You can delete Gunbirs pics now.

Old 3rd October 2005, 11:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

HAHAHAHAHA Santa has too many helpers HAHAHA
Old 3rd October 2005, 11:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is bigger than yours.
LOL!! See for yourself
Old 3rd October 2005, 12:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
HAHAHAHAHA Santa has too many helpers HAHAHA
Ever since GTO confered this new title on my humble head i seem to get a lot of help/attention :-) i'm doing my best not to abuse this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks