Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 15:04   #1
BHPian

My Sub Repair Woes

Hey all

I dont know whether i am posting it in correct forum or not.

I bought a GZ-RW30spl(Used) from Abhinav.gupta bhai, after a few months of usage its Voice Coil went bust due to excess wattage(as told to me whereas my Pioneer woofer is still working on same levels) i choose not to argue here but could not understand how can a Sub which is dual 4 ohm voice coil go kaboom when Amp gives 850 Watts at 4Ohm. Moreover it was out of warranty by One Month. I had a talk with LBM regarding it in November and he told me he can get the voice call replaced. the I gave him woofer in November and since then i have not seen it back. Till sometime they they didnt had a kit to get it repaired then when they got the kit after new year there was a fire in Customs warehouse and it got stuck and then when they finally repaired it and was sent to me 2 weeks back its side ring was broken due to Courier mishandling and it was sent back to them. They have not sent the Woofer neither they have given me a replacement.

What should i do now? Was it my mistake that i had bought a company's product which is not ready to build the customers.

I am paying for the whole thing where in the first place i am not liable for the damage itself. it was due to the poor build quality of the product and thank god it was not in warranty otherwise they would have taken a year for it.

This is what we have seen here. Many people told me not to buy those products and go for ID or JBL but i thought why not try those what could be bad? Now i get this. I swear never to buy any GZ product ever.

IF someone can help me out with this i would be very grateful.
Old 27th March 2010, 16:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

I was running the sub @ 750w RMS. Perfectly worked for the time I was running it. So it is not the fault of the sub. There is some other problem. This is a very bad brand bashing. You should not jump to any conclusion. If you are giving 800watts and it was working on 750 watts rms, then it aint the problem of the sub.
Old 27th March 2010, 16:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Err, isn't the sub rated for 1000W RMS?
Old 27th March 2010, 16:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about your experience,could you please tell which amplifier were you using on this subwoofer,as per our experience we do not feed it more than 350Wrms @2ohms,it sound loud and clear.Inspite of abusing to the max on higher rated amplifier this subwoofer never gave up,hope you have not shorted the coils by bridging it internally??
Old 27th March 2010, 16:42   #5
BHPian

It's rated at 1000WRMS

:: Ground Zero :: Subwoofer / GZRW 30SPL
Old 27th March 2010, 17:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Also, can you give details on the enclosure size ?
Old 27th March 2010, 17:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I was running the sub @ 750w RMS. Perfectly worked for the time I was running it. So it is not the fault of the sub. There is some other problem. This is a very bad brand bashing. You should not jump to any conclusion. If you are giving 800watts and it was working on 750 watts rms, then it aint the problem of the sub.

Bhai its rated @ 1000WRms. Moreover lets leave that out. Is it Just to get a Sub repaired in 5 months and i have still not got it?

IF they cant repair a sub in five months then what about Warranty issues. or is it that mine is not under warranty so they can give any kind of treatment to me.

Even if we leave out the Brand quality issues. What about the A.S.S.
Old 27th March 2010, 17:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Also, can you give details on the enclosure size ?

The Enclosure size was as given on the website. It was a ported box

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Sad to hear about your experience,could you please tell which amplifier were you using on this subwoofer,as per our experience we do not feed it more than 350Wrms @2ohms,it sound loud and clear.Inspite of abusing to the max on higher rated amplifier this subwoofer never gave up,hope you have not shorted the coils by bridging it internally??
Its a Clarion DPX 11551 rated @850 Watts at 4Ohm.

No i didnt touched it internally.

To all. Lets assume it was my fault. Even when i am ready to give money to get it repaired then also i am not getting it in 5 months. I have given lots and lots of time to people who are responsible. Didnt knew what to do thats why vented my anger here.

I know its pretty rash but i hope you understand my situation.
Old 27th March 2010, 17:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is a one off case.
Plus this does not mean that GZ makes bad subs.
You are just getting too hyper on a bad experience faced by you.

If suppose something happens to a Bentley , and a part is unavailable for 5-6 months, will you say you would never buy the product again. I dont think so.
Old 27th March 2010, 18:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Piyush,

This is just a case of bad luck. I dont believe you have bought a bad product or have purchased a product of a bad brand. Ground Zero products are very good but then I will have to agree with you that a good product must be complimented with good after sales support. If you have been told by many not to buy GZ products, what was their reason for the same? Was it that the quality of GZ products were bad or was it the lack of after sales support? However, it could be possible that there was a wiring issue? Did you have the system installed by a professional?

@Abhinav - I totally disagree with your point of view. Yes, if something happens to a Bentley which I have spent a couple of crores on and the part is not available for 5-6 months I will think twice before buying that product again. What is the use of spending crores on a premium product and not being able to use it for 5-6 months bcoz a part is not available?? Forget about Bentely, take an example of Fiat itself! Godd cars which lack after sales support. As I mentioned in my post above a good product is called so when it has good quality complimented by good after sales service.
Old 27th March 2010, 19:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is pathetic customer service.

Even if the part has to be imported, it should not take more than 3 - 4 weeks. If this is the level of service provided by this brand, it deserves ALL the bashing it gets.
Old 27th March 2010, 19:19   #12
BHPian

I agree. A person is bound to get mad after 5 months. Its not a few days.

One can understand the 'bad luck' part of a one off piece.

But couple that with service woes for 5 months, that also for a woofer.
Definately not pleasing.
Old 27th March 2010, 19:39   #13

I never post in the ICE section, but instead of turning this into another fight and then that turning int a few people getting banned,etc. you guys should settle this out of this forum.

Have seen too many good embers lost this way. Woudnt like to see another senior member go this way.
Old 27th March 2010, 19:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

First things first -

1. The "Brand" or "Manufacturer", i.e. GZ is not handling your service. It would be incorrect to name them as a deficient party wrt the services you are (not) getting.

2. There is no warranty on the product when it is sold by the original owner irrespective of whether 1 year has transpired since the original sale. None of the parties are really obliged to give you service. They can very well decline to help you altogether. I see this is not the case.

3. Irrespective of the above two facts, I think the matter should have been handled much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_Vroom View Post
i choose not to argue here but could not understand how can a Sub which is dual 4 ohm voice coil go kaboom when Amp gives 850 Watts at 4Ohm.
It's a dual 2 ohm subwoofer, not dual 4 ohm. Not that it matters, I believe it must have been hooked up with voice coils in series, to the amp in concern.

Quote:
I had a talk with LBM regarding it in November and he told me he can get the voice call replaced. the I gave him woofer in November and since then i have not seen it back. Till sometime they they didnt had a kit to get it repaired then when they got the kit after new year there was a fire in Customs warehouse and it got stuck and then when they finally repaired it and was sent to me 2 weeks back its side ring was broken due to Courier mishandling and it was sent back to them. They have not sent the Woofer neither they have given me a replacement.
Firstly, I don't know why LBM is involved in this. Maybe he wanted to help you as a dealer for GZ. He has not sold the sub to you, has he?

I suppose he voluntarily agreed to ship the sub to Hermit Audio, Mumbai to get the sub reconed. I also assume that the recone kit for the 30SPL was not available with Hermit at that time, which is perhaps the reason for the delay. After the sub was reconed, I assume the sub was not packed properly causing it to be damaged.

Few facts about out-of-warranty service.

1. You have to request the concerned distributor either through a dealer, or if the dealer declines (since you have not purchased through him), directly to the distributor. Even the distributor may express their inability to help you out on the grounds of parts not being available.

2. The product has to be shipped at your risk and expense to and back from the distributor.

Unfortunately for LBM, it seems like he has somehow taken the responsibility to ship the product out to Hermit and get it back. Do you want to blame him for that?

As for the damage during return shipping - As long as I was with Hermit, we had a strict policy that any customer's goods were insured at our end to be delivered to the customer in perfect condition. If there was any damage, it was our responsibility, and the customer was entitled to a replacement. I don't know if they still work that way. Check with them. Write to them and explain the matter to them in detail as you have in this thread here. I'm sure LBM too has done the same, but you need to follow this up yourself.

Quote:
Was it my mistake that i had bought a company's product which is not ready to build the customers.
Don't write such things to them. As I told you, they really do not have any obligation towards resold products.

Quote:
I am paying for the whole thing where in the first place i am not liable for the damage itself. it was due to the poor build quality of the product and thank god it was not in warranty otherwise they would have taken a year for it.
It's a well-built, tried and tested product, that does exactly what the box says. Don't play that line with Hermit. And you are indeed liable for damage to it, since it's not in warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Err, isn't the sub rated for 1000W RMS?
1000W rms "SPL Power". The 30 SPL is 500 W rms in the true sense of power handling in Watts, RMS. SPL Power means short bursts, not continuous. 30SPL has the same motor and coil as the 12XD-AL which states 500 W rms as the power handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If this is the level of service provided by this brand, it deserves ALL the bashing it gets.
Again, not the brand i.e. GZ. They are not in this loop in any way when they are represented by a distributor here.
Old 27th March 2010, 21:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
1000W rms "SPL Power". The 30 SPL is 500 W rms in the true sense of power handling in Watts, RMS. SPL Power means short bursts, not continuous. 30SPL has the same motor and coil as the 12XD-AL which states 500 W rms as the power handling.
Now that's a new & very creative way of measuring RMS power .

I thought the FTC had settled the matter
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks