Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 16:45   #1
BHPian

Infinity Reference 5350a 5 Channel amplifier power cycles during usage

Hello everyone,

I am facing problems with my Infinity 5350a 5 channel amplifier.
It was working perfectly fine since it was installed almost 6 months back. However, since a few days I notice that the amp power cycles after few minutes of playback.
After this problem started few days ago, I saw that the ground cable on the amp was loose, so I bolted it tight. However, I found that the problem did not get rectified so checked on the power wire connected to the Battery. Even that wire had a loose connection so fixed that too.
Now, although the power & ground cables on the amp as well as on the battery are intact & connected tightly, I am still facing this problem.
I have noticed that when the amp power cycles, the protect swich glows for a second & then the amp power cycles.

Please suggest what I should check before I take the amp for a repair. As I bought this amp in the US, I believe I won't get any warranty. If any one of you know of a good, reliable person/shop in Bangalore who would be able to repair this amp, please let me know.

Thanks !!!
Old 26th April 2010, 20:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get the car checked by professional car audio guys before disturbing anything. they can make out the problem if it happens in front of them. many of them are known in forum for their support
Old 26th April 2010, 20:55   #3
BHPian

Hey Kaustav,
I was experiencing the exact same problem. And just like you, I rewired the ground and the battery cable but the problem persisted. Comes out the power cable from the battery to the fuse was completely dead from inside. No sign of wear and tear from outside but on cutting the outer shield, all I could see inside was what they call choora .

I suggest you try testingthe amp with a new/spare power cable before taking it to service station.
Good luck!
Old 26th April 2010, 23:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
I suggest you try testingthe amp with a new/spare power cable before taking it to service station.
Good luck!
For the longest time and for all but the basic car systems I have always maintatined that the best system upgrades are damping and good power (big 3) wiring. Given what passes for power wires in OEM systems I suspect good power wires will offer better back for the buck than an upgrade of RCA cables.

A senior Mod, GTO, recently got his first serious car stereo (see SHow off section). He was very surprised at the difference damping made to his car. It reduced boom, external noise, and resonance. I think it cost him less than 10% of the cost of the car system. The more I see these sort of results the more I am convinced.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you want to diy,
1. Did you check the connections (power and ground) which were loose for damage due to loose connection? was there carbon build up? did you clean them with something like sand paper before reconnecting. resistance in this can cause under voltage and make the amplifier to shut down.
2. Then remove all other connections except power,ground,remote turn on and power the amp, see if it remains on.
3. Then connect one by one back(rca and speaker wires) and power up each time and see it it remains on.
4. Lastly if you find there is no problem till now take a small piece of wire and connect remote turn on to power wire. connect the end to power first then connect it to remote turn on, take her for a drive and see if the amplifier is steady. be careful in doing this though since the wire is live. i recommend removing the amplifier fuse first.
5. Check if the amplifier is well ventilated, just in case it got buried with stuff in boot and doing protective shut down due overheating.
6. if you can get another amplifier connect it to existing wiring and isolate it to defective amplifier
7 . If nothing works take it to professionals.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:44   #6
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for pooling in with your suggestions. I shall try to check the wiring and the Ground cable. myself.
I would like to clarify a few points -

1> The amp is installed in the boot with ample free space for air circulation. Thus, amp heat up is negated. I also checked the amp during playback, it does not get heated up.
2> Today while driving to office, I power on my player so that the amp gets powered on. Next I switched to Source 2 (USB) which does not have any USB device plugged in, so no sound was being sent by the player to the amp.
Still then, after around 10 minutes, there was a sound from the speakers and the amp restarted.

It seems to me that the amp does have some internal problem.
Would any of you be knowing of some good/reliable workshop where I may give it for service?
Old 27th April 2010, 12:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dry solder maybe. Get it checked !!!
Old 20th April 2011, 13:42   #8
BHPian

Re: Infinity Reference 5350a 5 Channel amplifier power cycles during usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaustav View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for pooling in with your suggestions. I shall try to check the wiring and the Ground cable. myself.
I would like to clarify a few points -

1> The amp is installed in the boot with ample free space for air circulation. Thus, amp heat up is negated. I also checked the amp during playback, it does not get heated up.
2> Today while driving to office, I power on my player so that the amp gets powered on. Next I switched to Source 2 (USB) which does not have any USB device plugged in, so no sound was being sent by the player to the amp.
Still then, after around 10 minutes, there was a sound from the speakers and the amp restarted.

It seems to me that the amp does have some internal problem.
Would any of you be knowing of some good/reliable workshop where I may give it for service?
I was pondering on buying this amp. Could you please update on the issue? Is it solved now?
Old 27th April 2011, 10:11   #9
BHPian

Re: Infinity Reference 5350a 5 Channel amplifier power cycles during usage

Hi,

This is a good amp.
Most probably it got damaged during service when I had seen some water droplets over the amp.
I wouldn't be able to give you details about what were the changes done to get it working again, however, now it runs fine without any issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks