Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 14:53   #1
BHPian

Need Help: Car PC and ICE (long term project)

OK I am the new guy bitten by the virus infecting the Audiophiles on TBHP.

Before I begin, let me state that I am a complete novice when it comes to technology. But I am a music freak and listen to mostly Gazals/Baapi Da/Metal/Rock/Country etc.

Both my current cars (Alto Lxi and Safari Gx) have a very basic audio setup (can't call it ICE after having a look at the threads of various Audiophiles on TBHP). In Alto I have the Sony Explode with Pioneer Ovals in the back. The entire setup was done in Karol Bagh. The Safari is still running on the stock Alpine CDE 9870 ET and the stock speakers and tweeters.

I am looking to upgrade the speakers and add a Sub which will do justice to every kind of music, be it Mukesh or Metallica, Burman or Bappi Da, Morrison or Nusrat. I also need a good navigation system and the ability to answer phones while driving (bluetooth I guess is the solution).

I don't need DVD/Video as I prefer to do all the driving, so simply no point in spending money on it.

After going through the various threads in the ICE section, I think I would be better off with a carputer rather than investing separately in HU and navigation device. Plus a PC can offer a lot more. I have already made one mistake of buying the Nokia 5800 for navigation purposes, don't want to waste any more money.

The dilemma I am facing is what should be the first thing I need go for first. I can't buy everything at once simply because coming up with the kind of money required for a good ICE at once is not possible for me. EMIs and Insurance ECS accounts for more than 60% of my salary. At the same time I am not the kind who will accumulate his money in a savings account, either I invest it or I spend it. So I intend to build it in parts over a period of 6 to 12 months.

I would like to keep the total cost below the 100K mark, there is no lower limit. And being a Finance person I have to live upto my reputation for cost control. Right now I have 15K at my disposal. I have two options:
1 I can either start upgrading the sound system (Speakers/Sub/Amp) either one of these or a combination of these within the same budget.
2 Start building up the CPU for the Carputer.

I hope witht the help of the the Audiophiles at TBHP I would be able to build the perfect system well within the limits I have set for myself.
I could use any and every kind of help. Specs/brands/shops/technical knowhow practically everything.

So Gentlemen (this is not gender bias, its just that I haven't seen any females in this section) please!! show me the way.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:35   #2
BHPian

If you are using you car pc as a media player and sat nav, i would suggest you start with that first, then you won't need a head unit, agood sound card would be an idea.
Old 14th May 2010, 17:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
If you are using you car pc as a media player and sat nav, i would suggest you start with that first, then you won't need a head unit, agood sound card would be an idea.
Thanks a lot.

Started working on the config with a friend. Lets see how long it takes.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:18   #4
BHPian

As you are planning for a long term thing, I think you should be upgrading your speakers, ampifiers and etc.. because, even if u start the carpc assembling, You need both the monitor and the cpu to keep that thing running and that will cost your more than 15k. So upgrade your ice part and keep enjoying that, later keep getting parts for your cpu and assemble it.
Trust me, you wont regret doing it this way. :-)

All the best for your install.
Old 15th May 2010, 00:03   #5
BHPian

ha ha ha, as Soundmaniac rightly said. Thou might get more confused.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...g-forum-6.html

But good point though. Right now I am working on zeroing in on the config for the PC. As I don't need any video seems I might be able to set-up the CPU in under 15K. Touch screen monitor and the PSu will have to wait untill next month, if I go for CPU first.

Alternatively I can buy a 4 channel Amp and 2 Comp speakers for the front door in 15K.

BTW whats the best location for installing the Amp? Behind the mid row seats or below either of the front row seats??
Old 15th May 2010, 00:07   #6
BHPian

Yup as other suggested upgrade the ICE first. Later on you can start collecting the Carputer Peripherals. Let us know on Speakers,AMP and SUB. and then we will give you the idea about weather to go for onboard audio or Audiophile Soundcard.

Keep in mind one thing that carputer is expensive hobby. Plan it according to your requirements.
Old 15th May 2010, 00:26   #7
BHPian

@devil on wheels : My all time place for installing the amp is behind the rear seats. and as nisarg said, taking a sound card or not depends on how you want the audio clarity to be.
Old 15th May 2010, 00:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
weather to go for onboard audio or Audiophile Soundcard.
Stupid Q No. 1> What' the difference? (a website link will do)

Is it possible to get a 4 channel Amp and 2 Comp speakers for the front door in 15K. If yes what would you recommend.

I have Sonyfied my home entertainment system, but I guess there are much better options when it comes to Car Audio (all thanks to TBHP)

AFAIK good SUB' start at around 10K, so probably I will buy it next month.

PS: Just found another good reason for spreading the expense over a period of time. I can keep the actual cost of the setup a secret from wifey. Women never understand why its necessary to buy a 40K Home theater system when you could have bought a DVD player for 4K.

Men are from Mars (kind of rhymes with music) and women from Venus. I don't intend to change the way nature created us.
Old 15th May 2010, 00:49   #9
BHPian

^LOL, very true, Wpmen never understand the reason behind having a better audio system.

You also get subs at 5-6k including a bass-fx enclosure.
components and a 4 channel amp in 15k will be possible, You could get a jbl 640 amp, plus jbl 608c comps under that budget i guess, Anyways let the audio experts comment on it.
Old 15th May 2010, 00:52   #10
BHPian

@ Devil on Wheels.
FAQ: Should I use onboard sound or an upgraded PCI or external soundcard? - MP3Car.com
Old 15th May 2010, 01:09   #11
BHPian

@ Devil on Wheels. you are right, a 30k jewelry would be digestible but a 30k Car System would turn out to be a WASTAGE.

I am not flaming women, but i think that's they are configured by the master PC (God)

Anyway i wanted to get the LCD + Power supply from a a friend's sister who's coming from USA next month, but seems the friend in Q. is not interested, So let me find another source.

also the LCD + power supply is approx 10k when Brought from USA, and 15+ when purchased in India, so i'll live without car PC, until i find someone to bring along.

Sorry for the question, but is the 7" LCD available in JAPAN, my father would be going to JAPAN in july, and if i can get it delivered to his hotel, I can get it easily, but I am 5000% sure, he won't be able to visit any shop as he's going for Literature related stuff which is far far away from our technology hunger.

@ Devil on Wheels. by any chance are you Aries by sun-sign, I get a strong feeling about you being one.
Old 15th May 2010, 01:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
@ Devil on Wheels. by any chance are you Aries by sun-sign, I get a strong feeling about you being one.
Did you view my DoB on my profile or are you a genious???

No idea about Japan, but try contacting a seller on sites like ebay, they might ship it to you if you pay for the courier.
Old 15th May 2010, 01:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
^LOL, very true, Wpmen never understand the reason behind having a better audio system.

You also get subs at 5-6k including a bass-fx enclosure.
components and a 4 channel amp in 15k will be possible, You could get a jbl 640 amp, plus jbl 608c comps under that budget i guess, Anyways let the audio experts comment on it.
JBL seems to be the obvious choice at TBHP when it comes to Amps. What exactly do I need to look for (I mean specs) when I go for hunting?
Old 15th May 2010, 02:22   #14
BHPian

@ Devil on Wheels. Only a Aries can recognize a aries with attitude/words.

anyway you can go for a decent 4 channel Amp. as having anything lesser is no good for a Car PC.
if you choose a cheap Amp. you would never get into the quality music that a computer is capable of.

there are few good JBL amps discussed on other thread, search and you'll get pricing, pics, and reviews.
Old 15th May 2010, 08:41   #15
BHPian

My personal choice would also be JBL as its economical. Everything else will be a bit high n budget.
@ghpk : Aries here :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks