BHPian

Help: choosing SubWoofer and System Configuration

Hi Guys I just bought

A) Kenny Excelon KDC-X994 HU

B) Illusion EL 6.1 front compos

C) DLS 428 rear coaxials

D) Noisekill damping..

& now need to get AMPS & a SubWoofer

.I heard lotsa good reviews about GZTW 12MKČ and GZTW 30T SUBWOOFERS.. Whats the difference between Single voice coil & Dual Voice coil. Will the DVC will sound very good than SVC?? Plz advice me to choose the cheap & best idea due to budget constraints.

My idea of config as follows.

CONFIG 1:

A.) ILLUSION EL 6.1 drive through any good 2ch amp

B.) DLS 428 run off through HU

C.) GZTW 12MK2 SW or GZTW 30T through any good 4ch amp..due to budget constraint i can't afford a mono..I think a good Mono will definitely cost more than 15k. I am ready to buy it in grey if its affordable.

My budget for 4ch amp is max 6k to 7k & for 2ch amp is 4k to 5k even if its lesser no problem, but i need somewhat good branded & cheap ones but not the worst.

OR

CONFIG 2:

A.) ILLUSION EL 6.1 drive through 2 channels of a 4 ch amp

B.) DLS 428 run off through remaining 2 channels of the above 4ch amp

C.) GZTW 12MK2 SW or GZTW 30T through any good 2ch amp.

If suggesting a BRANDED MONO which one is the cheap & best to suit my config??

PS: I NEED BEST SOUND QUALITY & GOOD TIGHT PUNCH (BASS) from Subwoofer. ie., the punch should be heard from a distance of 100 to 150 meters. I should able to reach volume up to max without any speaker & SW tarring noise [it must not make any burr durr sound]. I doubt whether i can get all these from the config i said.

PLZ ADVICE

Thanx & Regards
Ram.
Old 15th May 2010, 00:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would say 2nd option. Get a good 2 Channel powerful amp bridge it and run. There is one on sale at classifieds.
Old 15th May 2010, 03:28   #3

in both the options u have selected subs that are rated 400wrms @ 4 ohms....

instead select a 4ohm DVC sub , wire the voice coils in parallel for a net 2 ohm load... and pair this with a 150wrms x 1 @ 4 ohms, 300wrms x 1 @ 2 ohms monoblock amp... such an amp from a decent manufacturer will cost you 9000 - 15000 ....

put this sub in a tuned ported enclosure , buy an amp that has a SSF ( sub sonic filter, that cuts off freq's below the port tuning and protects the sub in a ported enclosure ) in case you decide going for a lower priced monoblok that doesnt have a SSF, you are advised to go sealed instead of ported....

use ample damping on your front doors & trunk and you are ready to booooom...!

Fenil Mehta

PS: use a 2 ch amp that is rated at 50wrms @ 4 ohms , 75wrms @ 2 ohms... wire the left & right channels in parallel for a net load of 2 ohms, this way u can power all the 4 speakers for a net load of 2 ohms ..the only set back in such a setup would be you would loose the fader option.. of thats ok with you... or use a 4 ch amp....

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st May 2010 at 16:27. Reason: Hi SADesigns, please avoid signing off with your company name in your posts. Thanks.
Old 15th May 2010, 16:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADesigns View Post
in both the options u have selected subs that are rated 400wrms @ 4 ohms....

instead select a 4ohm DVC sub , wire the voice coils in parallel for a net 2 ohm load... and pair this with a 150wrms x 1 @ 4 ohms, 300wrms x 1 @ 2 ohms monoblock amp... such an amp from a decent manufacturer will cost you 9000 - 15000 ....

put this sub in a tuned ported enclosure , buy an amp that has a SSF ( sub sonic filter, that cuts off freq's below the port tuning and protects the sub in a ported enclosure ) in case you decide going for a lower priced monoblok that doesnt have a SSF, you are advised to go sealed instead of ported..

use ample damping on your front doors & trunk and you are ready to booooom...!

Fenil Mehta
Sound & Acoustic Designs

PS: use a 2 ch amp that is rated at 50wrms @ 4 ohms , 75wrms @ 2 ohms... wire the left & right channels in parallel for a net load of 2 ohms, this way u can power all the 4 speakers for a net load of 2 ohms ..the only set back in such a setup would be you would loose the fader option.. of thats ok with you... or use a 4 ch amp....
I have zeroed in on Kenny 8401 or JBL S644 4ch amp for my EL 6.1 & DLS 428

2ch to EL6.1 & remaining 2ch to DLS 428

& can u suggest me a decent MONO.i could spend upto 10 to 12 k for this. I think there are availability of JBL & KENWOOD in my place (chennai) easily. Is there would be a problem if i get it in grey?? or should get it with B/W?

If i couldn't get a mono in the price range i specified, whcih gud 2ch amp for the SW would suit?

Also suggest me some other Subwoofers can i go in for. budget for SW along with enclosure is 6 to 7k.
Old 16th May 2010, 11:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Can you update us on how your new HU sounds? Are you facing any issue with it? Even i have ordered this HU so just waiting for it to get delivered.
Old 16th May 2010, 14:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Can you update us on how your new HU sounds? Are you facing any issue with it? Even i have ordered this HU so just waiting for it to get delivered.
Sure, after the installation done
Old 21st May 2010, 11:15   #7
BHPian

I have Kenwood eXcelon x994 installed in my Punto.

Have not faced a single issue so far.

I had read that there was problem with the display, USB device reading and BT Audio.
Everything works perfectly fine on my HU.

Some quality is lost when streaming music through a your phone via bluetooth (A2DP). But, I guess, thats the problem when you stream through bluetooth and not with the HU.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the HU!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks