Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 13:36   #46
BHPian

Hey why don't you look at the US amps. Pretty good amps with pretty good power.

[FONT=&quot]MD SERIES :: US AMPS[/FONT]

Look at the MD43 series. Good amp. Sound stream is also Good. I had the Sound stream Lil wonder amp.

I said this coz you have mentioned that you are yet to order the JL 4 channel amp.

Last edited by Pr_007 : 9th June 2010 at 13:43.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:15   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
What you mean is if you can bridge the amp - Yes, you can. Check the amp's documentation on how to go about bridging it.

And thanks for the link, let me go through it!! (EDIT: I have already read your review, just realized when I started reading it!)
Yep, bridging is another option. But then I've read that the damping factor for most amps decreases when running in bridged mode, which means the amp looses out some control over the speakers.

So my question is, can we take the 2 left channels(front/rear) from the amp and feed it to the left crossover of the system? And likewise for the right channel. Can this be called a jugaad 'bi-amping'?

Last edited by thelord : 9th June 2010 at 14:26. Reason: just realised 4 channel amps are stereo bridgeable
Old 9th June 2010, 20:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
What's your budget on the front comps?
@Invisible - I am not even looking at the budget anymore!! If I get something under $350 ~ $400, I'd rejoice! But ya, nobody remind me what budget I started off this revamp with please
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
Hey why don't you look at the US amps. Pretty good amps with pretty good power.

MD SERIES :: US AMPS

Look at the MD43 series. Good amp. Sound stream is also Good. I had the Sound stream Lil wonder amp.

I said this coz you have mentioned that you are yet to order the JL 4 channel amp.
Let me look at them Pritish. Problem with a lot of brands out there is not with the brand per se, but with the chances of us auditioning one before buying - like many have said in this thread, we cant decide based on the numbers on the amp's specs alone - two amps with the same specs and sound very different

EDIT: Man! Checkout the AX-TU Series - Tube driven AMPS!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
Yep, bridging is another option. But then I've read that the damping factor for most amps decreases when running in bridged mode, which means the amp looses out some control over the speakers.

So my question is, can we take the 2 left channels(front/rear) from the amp and feed it to the left crossover of the system? And likewise for the right channel. Can this be called a jugaad 'bi-amping'?
Hmm.. I haven't gotten than far in it yet! Maybe by the time I am done with this DIY install I would be wise enough to know that mate!!!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 9th June 2010 at 21:01.
Old 10th June 2010, 02:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Hmm.. I haven't gotten than far in it yet! Maybe by the time I am done with this DIY install I would be wise enough to know that mate!!!
Source
Quote:
Bi-Amping refers to using different amplifiers (or different channels of the same amp) for the low and high frequencies in the same speaker. On a 3-way speaker, usually the mid and tweeter are driven by one amp, and the woofer is driven by more powerful amp. This allows you to purchase a high quality low power amp for the highs, and a more powerful amp for the lows. With the proper pre-amp you can also have more control over the bass output. On a 2-way speaker, the mid and tweeter are driven by different channels on an amp. This is usually done so that you can use an active crossover before the amplifier.

In DIY audio, bi-amping has even more advantages. Low pass crossovers for woofers require very large inductors. These inductors are basically very long coils of copper wire which can have a very high resistance. Using an active crossover before the amplifier removes the need for these inductors. Bi-amping also removes the need for any circuits to fix problems caused by different sensitivities or impedances between drivers.

If a speaker is capable of bi-amping, then the plate on the back of the speaker will have 4 binding posts: 2 + terminals and 2 - terminals. Both + terminals and both - will have a piece of metal connecting them together. To bi-amp the speaker, remove the metal piece. Then, use the top 2 terminals for the high frequency amp, and the bottom two terminals for the bass amp.

Note: some professional audio equipment has 4 binding posts on the back. This is for ease of running multiple speakers in parallel. It is not for bi-amping, and the terminals should not be connected.
So there you go! I learnt something new today (but I am not going to think of applying it now - let two holes I bore in my pocket have some time delay between them )
Old 10th June 2010, 08:27   #50
BHPian

Yeah Jayanth, I saw those amps but don't you thin tube amps to power comps would be two much and I think those are competition amps.

Anyways just check out these comps. I don't know how they are but the reviews on the net, when Google-ed, came out to be good. They are considered to be audiophile grade comps. Check out the link below.

FUSION Electronics ? Car and Marine Audio

FUSION Electronics ? Car and Marine Audio

What say. How are there???
Old 10th June 2010, 09:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No, This is not Biamping.
It is called Biamping when you give the 4 channels of output from your HU / Active Crossover / Pre-Amp to the Amp (4-Ch) directly and then without the Passive Crossover, you need to give the four channels as '1 each for left tweeter and left mid bass and 1 each for right tweeter and right mid bass' (Totally 4 Channels). For a 3-way system you will need 6 channels of Amplification

In Biamping the Passive crossover is not used at all.
Old 10th June 2010, 13:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
Yeah Jayanth, I saw those amps but don't you thin tube amps to power comps would be two much and I think those are competition amps.
Dei, the MD43 is about $600 - way out of my budget machan!!! And dont confuse my already confused head with more component choices!!!
Old 10th June 2010, 15:31   #53
BHPian

Confusion is the result when you are bitten by the ICE bug and have the vitamin M in abundabce to cure it, jayanth.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
In Biamping the Passive crossover is not used at all.
Can you elaborate this part my friend as far as my understanding goes bi-amping is done through passive xover. I guess there is some confusion between bi-amping and active setup.

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th June 2010 at 16:00.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:37   #55

try these for the front comps.

Amazon.com: Boston Acoustics ProSeries 60SE - Car speaker - 125 Watt - 2-way - component: Electronics
Old 11th June 2010, 18:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Can you elaborate this part my friend as far as my understanding goes bi-amping is done through passive xover. I guess there is some confusion between bi-amping and active setup.
Aren't both the same?. What is the use of passive cross overs in a biamped set up ? Anyway we would use the Active crossover even before sending the signals to the Amp. Am i right in my understanding ?
Old 11th June 2010, 20:00   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Aren't both the same?. What is the use of passive cross overs in a biamped set up ? Anyway we would use the Active crossover even before sending the signals to the Amp. Am i right in my understanding ?
I have a crossover which has this

My ICE Story - Getz CRDi - Suggestions please!-img_58761.jpg
Old 11th June 2010, 20:54   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10
What is the use of passive cross overs in a biamped set up ?
For protecting the drivers.
Old 12th June 2010, 00:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the basic understanding, normally when the comps are powered through the passive xover, the tweeter and midwoofer shares the same power and uses the xover points set on the passive xover. Incase of bi-amp one gets the flexibility to give/set power individually to the tweeter and midwoofer but xover points set on the passive xover still plays its role. The advantage is one gets to set the individual power level on the drivers as per the individual desire. In both these case we need to set the HP on the amp to further protect the comps.
Incase of active xover, the passive xover is completely eliminated. The xover points are set by the active xover either through the headunit, processor, or separate active xover. The difference the signal sent to the amp is already processed before it goes to the amp where as in passive setup the signal sent is a full range signal. The advantage with active xover is one gets to set the over points as per one's desire i.e. HP,LP, and BP. The other advantage is you get to set the gain for each components, TA, plus the loss of power that is there with passive xover gets completely eliminated which means components are powered directly on to the external amplifier, getting much stronger signals and power output, the result it may sound a lot cleaner and powerful. However, it is more time consuming and if not done with utmost care could also damage the drivers/components plus there are other complication like using the right slope, phase shift, having a good ear to set the gain levels. It's not as easy as it looks.

When using the Headunit xover along with the passive xover are used one is further protecting the drivers for any sought of damage. One can say its more like actively passive system.
Old 12th June 2010, 00:55   #60
BHPian

@ph03n!x
Bro, I hope you don't kill me for off-topic diversion.
My intention was just to know if we can use more than one channel of an amp without bridging.

@Mi10
I think Invinsible answered your query perfectly. Moreover some components sets, like the DLS C6A come with separate crossover networks for mid-bass and tweeter. So bi-amping with passive crossovers can be really useful in such cases.

@Invinsible
As I asked before, can we take the 2 left channels(front/rear) from the amp and feed it to the left crossover of the system? And likewise for the right channel? Do you think any amp will allow such a wiring scheme? Because in a way we would be shorting the 2 left channels before connecting them to the crossover.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks