Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 20:37   #1
BHPian

ICE Upgrade for Polo Highline

Hi

I am planning to upgrade my HU in polo (1.6 delivery expected end of this month) to the one available in jetta or pasaat.
Its a touchscreen unit Model# RCD-510. The VW guys have simply refused to offer any help or even sell the HU to me.

The size of the HU is same across the VW range. There are youtube videos which show the HU fitted in a Polo(not indian though).

I am attaching a pic of the back of RCD-510. I was wondering if anyone can help me out in figuring out whether it is possible to connect/fit it in the polo. If anyone can manage to check out the backside of the original HU and if it seems similar then it might be possible to retrofit it in my polo. Please help me out, I really need to be sure before i go out and buy the HU.

I am planning to buy this HU from USA where its costs around 400-500$ which is definately cheaper compared to any double-din touchscreen HU in India and most importantly, being an OEM HU it goes with the car's interior as well.

VW Gurgaon guys have simply refused to offer any help. Maybe someone having an upper hand with the VW guys can help me out
Attached Thumbnails
ICE Upgrade for Polo Highline-vw5.jpg  

ICE Upgrade for Polo Highline-vw10.jpg  

Old 12th August 2010, 11:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
Its a touchscreen unit Model# RCD-510.
I am planning to buy this HU from USA where its costs around 400-500$ which is definately cheaper compared to any double-din touchscreen HU in India and most importantly, being an OEM HU it goes with the car's interior as well.
I hope VW has retained the same harness it uses for it's EU models. If they have done so it shoudl fit. see pic below.
Volkswagen Polo radio RCD-510 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sid reported a RCD 150 in his report (see link below) it might well be that he got the numbers backwards why not ask him.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-pg-18-a.html

If you hit the "optional equipment list" link on the link below you will see that the EU model of teh Polo does have the RNS310 and RCD 510 listed as options.
Glass's Auto Index - Result Car Volkswagen - Polo Polo 1.2TDI ( 75ps ) 2010MY Blue Motion HATCHBACK 5 Doors from 01/1976

http://www.caradvice.com.au/66927/20...n-polo-review/
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2010, 15:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I am planning to upgrade my HU in polo (1.6 delivery expected end of this month) to the one available in jetta or pasaat.
Hi Ankit,

Is it primarily for aux/usb support? Or you plan to change the speakers and cables also to get better quality? Please share details as and when you have so that it'll be useful to other polo/vento owners.

thanks
Old 16th August 2010, 23:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
Hi Ankit,

Is it primarily for aux/usb support? Or you plan to change the speakers and cables also to get better quality? Please share details as and when you have so that it'll be useful to other polo/vento owners.

thanks
of course i plan to change cables to get better quality and i do plan to start off with front component and rear coaxial speakers with an amp.
Sorry, I am a complete newbie to in-car audio so spare me if some of my questions are stupid.
-can amps be connected to OEM HU or any HU?
-I wish to know, since various HU fit in almost every car, there must be a universal designed port/connector in the car and on the backside of every HU.
If this is the case then i guess fitting the RCD-510 in my polo would not be a problem.
The original HU can be fitted in TL models as well so i guess the connections in the car would be the same throughout various variants. Please correct me if i am wrong.
I really need to be sure that the RCD-510 can be connected (its confirmed that the size fits in the polo) before i buy it.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

As I can see, the only way moving forward is to get the wiring diagram of Polo & the pin configuration of the Head units. If we have the details of both the units (OEM & the one desired), we can be sure of the compatibility.

Even if it is not a one to one replacement, with the details we can do the necessary modifications easily.

Main challenge is to source these details.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Car manufacturers like VW try to maximize standardization to minimize inventory and interface difficulties. There are no country-specific interface changes (who wants to invest more in Engineering?). If it is OE in VW inventory, it will fit. The service people generally avoid answering any questions they themselves are not sure of the answers. Good policy IMHO, as that prevents them making a fool of themselves.

The Pin Diagram is usually on a sticker on the unit itself, or will be in the manual of the OE unit.

Which agency are you sourcing it from? Maybe they can send you the connection information if you ask. Be aware that VW India will not provide warranty for this unit.
Old 6th September 2010, 19:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

RCD - 510 Pin configuration:

ICE Upgrade for Polo Highline-vw_rcd_510_pinouts.jpg
Old 17th September 2010, 15:14   #8
BHPian

I am looking for the same model as well. This is also available off ebay UK. Can someone confirm if this would need some change due to battery drain issues. Also can this be a direct fit without snapping wires. I also plan to put MTX REQ5 as digital processor and use the amps. Will the doors need damping as the doors seems to be build nicely.
Old 17th September 2010, 16:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Its a touchscreen unit Model# RCD-510. The VW guys have simply refused to offer any help or even sell the HU to me.
I have also been thinking of retrofitting the higher end RCD or RNS series head units for my 'yet to be delivered' Polo 1.6. 2 Basic issues that cross my mind:

1. Warranty, even though these are VW head units. I somehow have a feeling VW india is not going to be too happy about this changeover.
2. The RNS series have other features like GPS, Rear camera etc. How could we get all the features to seamlessly integrate ?
Old 9th November 2010, 09:04   #10
BHPian

Done?

Has any Polo owner completed this install successfully? I'd love to see pictures
Old 10th November 2010, 14:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Has any Polo owner completed this install successfully? I'd love to see pictures
this should help you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-1-6-polo.html
Old 3rd March 2011, 16:45   #12
BHPian

Re: ICE Upgrade for Polo Highline

@Ankit,

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but just couldn't resist asking-
Have you been able to get the VW system and install it in your car? I am almost in the same situation and dying to know
Old 19th June 2011, 20:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE Upgrade for Polo Highline

My friend is upgrading his car audio

He has already ordered

HU alpine cda 117
4 channel amp : jl audio slash v2 300 4v2
Monobloc: jl audio xd 600-1

My friend listens to electronic music (trance, house, progressive, minimal, dnb etc.)

The plan is to get front speakers only and bi amp them with the 4 channel
and get either 1 or 2 subs (12 inch if a single sub and 10inch incase we decide on using pair)

I suggested him to audition rainbow slc kick for the front components and I thought a sub from the ID series would be nice but I am not so sure about the warranty issues if any after the recent fiasco.

The end install should be SQL as in it won't be heard at high volume all the time but should be clear at all times. I find most subs end up jarring especially with music at high bpm.

The budget for the front components, sub woofer, damping, wiring and installation is 60k.
Also please suggest some good quality amp wiring kits as well.

Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 12:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

ICE FAQ for VW Polo Stock Unit Upgrade

Enthusiasts Curse Comes Home

After an years wait finally added another car in my garage, the VW Polo. Now I could have/would have/should have waited for EcoSport buy my family was tired for having Fords in our garage and they wanted a SMALL car and didnt budge.

So options we had were Swift, Polo and Sail. The Sail was ruled as as my family didnt want me to be an antique dealer driving New Fiesta and now adding a Chevrolet Sail in my garage. Mom didnt like the Swift as it had become too common. So finally had to settle for good looks, good looks and good looks!

I never really liked the Polo being an auto buff but the car sure is a head turner and the interiors are class apart for its segment. Having said that, the TDI engine is coarse, loud and lathargic (even though on paper it puts the same horses as MJD). The car does give great mileage though, and the cabin has a feel good factor to it.

Now comes the fun part, I need to upgrade the ICE for the stock radio on the CL completely sucks. I am sure one can setup a 10k aftermarket system that can sound better. But I dont want to do the following:

a) Cut Wires
b) Change the OE look
c) Break the BANK!!!

So I have been reading threads in TBHP and here is what I have learnt:

1) There are chinese units available Caska etc that have Windows CE or Android that provide the same OE finish

2) I could upgrade to RCD 510 with USB. Which is a better option?

Now I have an option of asking someone from US or Hong Kong to bring me these and I had a few questions:

1) Between US and Hong Kong which is a better place to buy OE or OE lookalike radio for Polo? I see on Ebay US all sellers are from Hong Kong for OE look alike radios.

1.5) How does the Stock Headunit of Polo with lineout converter + amplifier + aftermarket speakers sound? Does it require an EQ or is it good... my experience with Honda City was that stock units with amps can be very bad sounding but dont know if thats the case with Polo.

2) What is the model number of the stock head unit that comes with Polo?

3) Is upgrading to RCD 310 worth? Or is it as pathetic music quality as my stock system.

4) Do VW Jetta and VW Polo/Vento have the same wiring/size/layout stereo? Can a Jetta Stereo be used in Polo?

5) I am seeing those selling RCD 510 in US mention that it comes with Radio Code, what is Radio Code?

6) Does RCD 510 have amp outputs or does that require line to amp converter?

7) Is it better to upgrade to RCD 510 with USB or OE finish like Caska, Winston type chinese unit.

8) Does the US RCD 510 have same connectors as that in India and does it offer same FM frequency.

9) Is it possible to plug a rear camera to RCD 510, heard some connector is required.

10) Do the chinese OE look alike units offer pre-amp outputs where I can connect an amp.

===================================

A lot of questions as you can see, but if this thread answers these questions, than we can have one consolidated thread where all prespective ICE upgrade customers for Vento and Polo can refer too.

I am on a tight budget. The equipment shortliest so far:

- OE Lookalike or RCD 510 Stereo for 300 $ or 20,000 HKD = 16500 Rs.
- Polk DB 651 for 60 USD = 3250 Rs
- Rockford Fosgate R125 2 channel amp 60$ = 3250 Rs
- 20 dollar 8 gauge wiring kit = 1000 Rs
- Installation Charges in India = 2000 Rs
=====================================
26000 Rs INR
=====================================

An ambitious target so to speak. But this is what I have in mind. Please provide your suggestions and thanks for reading!

Last edited by aseem : 19th February 2013 at 12:26.
Old 14th April 2013, 14:13   #15
BHPian

JVC KW-900BT or Kenwood DPX500BT for Polo?

1. Your Car: VW Polo 1.6

2. Your current setup (If any): Stock

3. Your Budget: 25K (approx)

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffeur driven? Self driven

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): mainly 70'-80's rock, lots of unplugged, (eg. pink floyd, dire straits, david grey, coldplay, cranberries etc.) occasionally new boom boom music (i don't know what its called.. rap??) eg. usher, akon etc. types (don't judge me !)

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Nope

Please treat me like a noob because that's what i am. After 2 years i am officially tired of the limited connectivity of the stock cd only system. My requirements for a new HU are:

- must be 2 din as close to stock as possible.
- do not need video
- must be upgrade friendly (able to carry over to next car and add amp, subwoofer etc.)
- must have bluetooth and audio streaming
- must have front usb and aux in.
- cd player not necessary but hardly any receivers come without them

keeping the above in mind i have narrowed down the choice to:
- JVC KW-R900BT
- Kenwood DPX500BT

So far i am leaning towards the Kenwood purely because it looks more OEM. I am looking for valuable suggestions from u guys regarding pro's and con's, far as i can see both receivers are pretty evenly matched.

Speakers - Looking for some good quality components up front and co-axials in the rear. Budget approx 6-10K for the components. Coaxial depends on how much of a difference they make to the sound quality. Suggestions are welcome.

All of the above equipment (including HU) must be transferable to my next car which will be in the next 2-3 yrs time (looking forward to the new Octavia vrs.. maybe! )

Not looking for an amp or subwoofer currently (which is why the HU output is so important to me). I will only consider an amp if it can fit under the seat and how much bang for my buck i get out of it.

Ok, sorry for boring u guys with the details but eagerly looking forward to your inputs! Thanks in advance gurus!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks