Team-BHP - iPOD -How to connect it to the Car system
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   iPOD -How to connect it to the Car system (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/8739-ipod-how-connect-car-system.html)

Mods.. I am not sure where this thread should go.. Plz move this where it belongs...

PLease: can anyone tell me ho to connect an IPOd to an existing Car stereo System. Has anybody done that.
Would appreciate your help.

Get a Belkin TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter, connect to the headphone jack of your iPod (or any audio source including your PDA, MP3, CD, or cassette player; or connect it to your PC or laptop computer), tune your car stereo or receiver to the clearest FM frequency, and enjoy your digital music! See http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=166893 for details.

This device is very inexpensive (I picked one up in Kuala Lumpur for an equivalent of Rs 1,900), easy to set up and very, very portable. Best of all, you carry your music collection wherever you go-- even in your friend's car if it's equipped with a very basic FM radio.

The device converts your iPod's (or any MP3 player's) audio output signals to an FM frequency of your choice, to which you can tune your car radio to. The FM transmitter has a very short range, so don't have to worry about interference from other cars.

Innovative device, very simple in funda, very effective, best of all... VFM! Try it!!

[quote=msprabhakar]Get a Belkin TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter,QUOTE]
Appreciate ur reply.
let me try this out

The FM transmitter option is cheap and easily applicable to any car stereo. However the minus point is that the sound quality is not CD-quality, but FM radio quality, an appreciable difference if you are a discerning listener. Another point is that it drains the battery faster, as the ipod also has to power the transmitter. Lastly it is prone to static and audio drop-outs depending on the position of the transmitter inside the car, if the unit is placed under-dash, for example.

The best quality is if you have a line-input facility on the car stereo, take the output from the headphone jack and plug into this, SOme Pioneer HU like 4750, have a special cable that plugs into the back of the HU and accepts the headphone output from the Ipod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by filcord
... Another point is that it drains the battery faster, as the ipod also has to power the transmitter...

Belkin models come with a car power adapter that plugs into your car's 12V outlet.

I also picked up an even simpler device along with this one in KL for about Rs 1,400. This device is made in Taiwan and is called Easy Mp3. Personally, this is my favourite and I use this more often than Belkin. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link to this product on the Web. Fortunately, I found an image and link of a look-alike product (branded differently). See http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...33257%3A164096

The best part of this device is that it plugs directly into your car's 12V socket, and accepts even USB flash drives! Even greater value!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by filcord
The FM transmitter option is cheap and easily applicable to any car stereo. However the minus point is that the sound quality is not CD-quality, but FM radio quality, an appreciable difference if you are a discerning listener. Another point is that it drains the battery faster, as the ipod also has to power the transmitter. Lastly it is prone to static and audio drop-outs depending on the position of the transmitter inside the car, if the unit is placed under-dash, for example.

The best quality is if you have a line-input facility on the car stereo, take the output from the headphone jack and plug into this, SOme Pioneer HU like 4750, have a special cable that plugs into the back of the HU and accepts the headphone output from the Ipod.

Given that I got a 4750 installed, how do I get the cable connected? Do I have to take out the HU from the socket, or only the detachable front face?

The cable goes in from the rear of the 4750. You will have to remove the deck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
The cable goes in from the rear of the 4750. You will have to remove the deck.

Hmm.... Thanx guys. Something that I'd been waiting to know about...

the best thing to do is to get an Itrip which fits into the Ipod and that transmits into FM radio station at 87.9 ..
i have an Apple ipod with itrip and thats how i listen to music in my car

An iTRIP is the way to go.
We have one but the mobile charger type thing is also quite cool.
We also have a Belkin but the iTRIP is beter.

Prabhakar the device in the pics is connected to the cigarette lighter and the i-pod/mp3 player. But what does it do with the signal received from the ipod?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deeps
Prabhakar the device in the pics is connected to the cigarette lighter and the i-pod/mp3 player. But what does it do with the signal received from the ipod?

The audio signals are transmitted on FM channels between 88.1MHz-107.9MHz (In other words, this device acts as a mini FM radio station). You then tune your car FM radio to this frequency.
I've set my frequency to 88.1MHz since in Mumbai no FM channel is aired at this frequency. The reception is very clear.

[SIZE=2]iTrip not so good. My friend bought an iTrip and you feel like you listning to the tracks in an autorikshaw. The clarity is not so good there is a bit of disturbance. Spending 1500 in iTrip its better to spend 700 bucks to the guy who can fit the auxilary wire (700 only if your deck system dosnt supports aux) otherwise 40 bucks aux wire and there you go ;) [/SIZE]

@IndianDawg....Where can i get the AUX put into my panel...it doesnt support AUX so i guess some messing around needs to be done from the inside of the deck. I showed it to my deck guy and he said its a risky affair. Hv u done this 700rs thing?

I would seriously reconsider messing around the insides of your HU, unless the technician gives you a cast-iron guarantee of replacement if he screws up the wiring. If your HU has no ready-made Aux input or oterh input for connection to a line out, then go for the FM transmitter route - the Belkin, the I-trip,etc.