Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 10:42   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re only 0.7 ohms? Wowie....I was looking to use it in OB with a tube amp but few simple PP-UL tube amps will drive that.

Besides with Mms of 300gms....hmmm...

Last edited by navin : 7th September 2010 at 10:43.
Old 7th September 2010, 11:38   #17
BHPian

The fi has customizable options . it comes in Dual 1 ohms and Dual 2 ohm options.
the dual 2ohms has re of 1.4 Ohms/coil
Old 13th September 2010, 23:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why are the basket designs of all the Subs exactly same.Are they these all sister companies? So which one is the premium brand and which is the economy brand.I'm asking like eg. Rainbow is premium and Bull audio is the basic among the two.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Why are the basket designs of all the Subs exactly same.Are they these all sister companies? So which one is the premium brand and which is the economy brand.I'm asking like eg. Rainbow is premium and Bull audio is the basic among the two.
Ascendant Audio was recently taken over by Fi. Both are assembled by hand in their Las Vegas factory at USA. There's no premium and economy divide here, AA is a strictly dealer line with no internet sales, Fi is an older brand and began with an online model, though now they have international dealers as well. In USA, Ascendant has a wider folio with subs from 99 to 1099 USD whereas Fi has a wider choice with more customizable options available from 149 to 469 USD. And baskets are common across brands, even GZ had the same basket. Probably most companies are outsourcing them from the same guy.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:46   #20
BHPian

Great review Aman, can you please share the pricing of the entire setup for everyone's benefit & to have a clear comparison (performance vs price).
Thanks
Old 14th September 2010, 23:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Aha.Great explanation.Infact the fact that even GZ had the same basket design got me wondering in the begining.I thought that all of them were from the GZ brand.And its quite a revelation to me that even components of the subs etc are outsourced.I thought these were individual brand designs etc.
Old 15th September 2010, 00:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Aha.Great explanation.Infact the fact that even GZ had the same basket design got me wondering in the begining.I thought that all of them were from the GZ brand.And its quite a revelation to me that even components of the subs etc are outsourced.I thought these were individual brand designs etc.
materials are common. like basmati rice, grown in india and pakistan, sold under hundred names over the world. and cooked in thousand different ways.

magnets, baskets, surrounds, dust caps, cones, i'm sure there aren't many in the world making it - wrt maintaining a standard quality at economical price.

just like our government importing paper from germany for currency, like most others.

but craftsmanship makes every piece unique. so the allocation of funds is more on the craft, the saving part of it is in the material - standard quality at lowest price.

it's strange, but it's true and we've discussed this before. some the best sounding speakers in the world made in europe and priced through the roof use basic materials like paper cone.

whereas china makes you customised brands and designs at the lowest of costs with exotic cones, butyl surrounds, copper coils, neodymium magnets and what not.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:03   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
it's strange, but it's true and we've discussed this before. some the best sounding speakers in the world made in europe and priced through the roof use basic materials like paper cone.

whereas china makes you customised brands and designs at the lowest of costs with exotic cones, butyl surrounds, copper coils, neodymium magnets and what not.
Of late some very nice drivers are being in China and India. After all these 2 countries are facotries for just about everything else (auto components, laptops, heavy industrial machinery, etc.).
Old 15th September 2010, 10:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

I came across DIYMA Ref 12" subwoofer while going through the DIYMA forum. Does anyone know how these subs performed? They're not on sale now, i guess. They had a different kind of motor setup, kinda like the high end Focal lines which has many little magnets arranged across the coil.
Old 15th September 2010, 13:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I came across DIYMA Ref 12" subwoofer while going through the DIYMA forum. Does anyone know how these subs performed? They're not on sale now, i guess. They had a different kind of motor setup, kinda like the high end Focal lines which has many little magnets arranged across the coil.
Well i havent heard any one of those but heard good things about them. They are very heavy though. You can get them for around $100 in classifieds easily.Will cost you around 12-15k if you get them shipped here.
Old 15th September 2010, 18:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Of late some very nice drivers are being in China and India. After all these 2 countries are facotries for just about everything else (auto components, laptops, heavy industrial machinery, etc.).
true, india's become a manufacturing hub for global auto industry, china is making almost everything else.
Old 15th September 2010, 19:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_Vroom View Post
Well i havent heard any one of those but heard good things about them. They are very heavy though. You can get them for around $100 in classifieds easily.Will cost you around 12-15k if you get them shipped here.
Shipping would be killer. But if it comes around 12 to 15k after duty it will be a good deal.

Btw that sub too share the same basket as the ones mentioned in this thread.
Old 15th September 2010, 19:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
THese are one of the great SQ sub coming the XBL^2 motor which makes the sub low on distortion part. However they had some serious issues in handling power were best running at 300-400rms, beyond that there were issues with it's cone.

@Montyguru
It's good to see the capable subs competing eachother. However like Navin ji mentioned if each one of these subs would have been in their optimum enclosure with tuned ports for each one of them according to the spec would have been another story or atleast hope to see that happening in future.

Last edited by Invinsible : 15th September 2010 at 19:46.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:26   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
true, india's become a manufacturing hub for global auto industry, china is making almost everything else.
The Mukherjees, Rathas and their protoges are keeping India on the audio map too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks