Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2005, 12:16   #1
A.T

Radio Disturbance

Hi to every one
This is my first post & it was fun & very informative going through all the posts here, sp. reading Sam & navin was very enlightening.
I have a problem with my new installation. On Santro Xing. recently I partially upgraded my 2 yrs old system from xplod to blau. & installed foll. hu & spkr.
1. HU - MONTERREY MP35 for 9000/-approx.
2. REAR SPEAKERS - ODX 542E(5" round) for 3600/-

With retaining my old front 4" xplod spkr.

Though I wish i could have gone through this site before going for this upgradation, there is still some scope of improvement left.
Since installation (not sure if problem was previously also) i am not getting clear radio reception, there is a constant distortion in radio. I have tried disconnecting front (old) speaker’s connecters, but problem continuous.
blau dealer in western suburb (Mumbai) from which i got the inst. done is unable to solve the prob. , he has replaced my hu very next day after inst., repl. the rear sp. wire & also tried replacing my new Ariel , suspecting them to be faulty , but the problem cont. Of late i have noticed the distortion increases the moment i s/w on my a.c.
Can any one throw some light, or guide me to a professional technician.

Secondly I want to upgrade my front spkr, pl. advice me if any thing better than JBL GTO 426E if available for santro's 4"slot.
Also pl. let me know what kind of speaker cables (& connectors) is best for inst.
I also wish to attach an amp. in near future.
Thanks in advance
Old 24th November 2005, 12:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

1. is the antenna connected properly.
2. when you connect the HU to the speakers I normally try just the front speakers and then connect the rear. try only connecting 2 front speakers and report what you find.
3. if you want to attach an amp pake sure your HU has atleast 2 pre outs pref. 3. I assume yours does.
4. Consdiering that you got Blau in the rear I would suggest choosing between Blau and JBL for the front as well. Using a speaker that is voiced differently like Infinity might sound odd.

BTW welcome to the Dark Side! :-)
Old 24th November 2005, 12:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

I guess it faulty setup coz your hear noise when you start the blower.
try when your car's parked/ OFF.

mate, 426 is gr8. I use one, powered by a pio amp. And I think thers some new CS series which are a bit cheaper. But stay with 426 if you are gonna power it at a later stage via amp.

About adding an amp and sub : whats your budget.
Old 24th November 2005, 12:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

I have seen when I switch on A/C(not just the blower, the actual AC) radio reception deteriorates. In normal city where reception is okay there is not problem, but in areas where radio reception is not so good, it deteriorates when you switch on the AC. MY antenna is the windshield mounted thing(you have these in indica/go.

I suspect this could be due to improper shielding on the Antenna wire. The normal antenna wires are not shielded ones.
Old 24th November 2005, 12:53   #5
A.T

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
1. is the antenna connected properly.
2. when you connect the HU to the speakers I normally try just the front speakers and then connect the rear. try only connecting 2 front speakers and report what you find.
3. if you want to attach an amp pake sure your HU has atleast 2 pre outs pref. 3. I assume yours does.
4. Consdiering that you got Blau in the rear I would suggest choosing between Blau and JBL for the front as well. Using a speaker that is voiced differently like Infinity might sound odd.

BTW welcome to the Dark Side! :-)
hi
thanks for reply
1. anytenna conn. is ckkd. svrl times . its ok.
2.will try this & revert back.
3.pre amp out # 4 channels : 2V
hope it's ok, i now know (through this site ) that ideal would be 6 channel of 4 V.
4.let me know about the best 4" speaker (or component) available.
thanks
Old 24th November 2005, 12:59   #6
A.T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
I guess it faulty setup coz your hear noise when you start the blower.
try when your car's parked/ OFF.

mate, 426 is gr8. I use one, powered by a pio amp. And I think thers some new CS series which are a bit cheaper. But stay with 426 if you are gonna power it at a later stage via amp.

About adding an amp and sub : whats your budget.
hi
thanks
will go for 426 , let me know if anything better is available.
budget about 5-6 k for amp.
thanks
Old 24th November 2005, 13:03   #7
A.T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I have seen when I switch on A/C(not just the blower, the actual AC) radio reception deteriorates. In normal city where reception is okay there is not problem, but in areas where radio reception is not so good, it deteriorates when you switch on the AC. MY antenna is the windshield mounted thing(you have these in indica/go.

I suspect this could be due to improper shielding on the Antenna wire. The normal antenna wires are not shielded ones.
hi
thanks for reply
u r rt abt s/wng on the actual a/c. but it happens in all corners of bom not only in few areas.
i am using external antenna , & have replaced that with a new one also but no improvement.
thanks
Old 24th November 2005, 13:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

Then it means that the cable going to the HU is not shielded. To check if cable has shielding cut open the top insulation. You should see silver colored a net of wires around main antenna cable. You will find this also in Cable TV connection wires(high quality).
In such a case changing antennas will not help. You will have to buy a shielded cable for the antenna connection.
Worst case scenario is that your HU is not properly shielded, ie the company overlooked this, but with blaupunkt i doubt that will be the case. So its the cable, and unless you cut it open you cant know wether its shielded.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th November 2005 at 13:12.
Old 24th November 2005, 13:14   #9
A.T

just one more thing , my main conn. is through joints made in wires just before car connector, & not by quick disconnect connector , will this cause the distortion.though i have rechkd the conn. & retaped it properly.
will replacing sp wires with a better cable help.
it will b nice if someone can refer a good fitter to do complete rewiring.
don't know what to do with the stud produding out of tha back of hu, is it meant to connect some grounding wire as it was not connected to any wire by dealer guy.
Old 24th November 2005, 13:20   #10
A.T

Quote:
Then it means that the cable going to the HU is not shielded. To check if cable has shielding cut open the top insulation. You should see silver colored a net of wires around main antenna cable. You will find this also in Cable TV connection wires(high quality).
In such a case changing antennas will not help. You will have to buy a shielded cable for the antenna connection.
Worst case scenario is that your HU is not properly shielded, ie the company overlooked this, but with blaupunkt i doubt that will be the case. So its the cable, and unless you cut it open you cant know wether its shielded.
thanks again
antenna cable being a part of new antenna was also replaced twice (just to chk)& its new , so that doesn't seem to be the prob.
the inst. was done by dealer & not by blau itself, so no guarentee on quality of inst.(& i suspect that).
so let me how to chk properly shielding of hu.
Old 24th November 2005, 13:30   #11
Team-BHP Support

your antenna cable may be new and perfectly okay, but that does not mean that it will have shielding. You have to cut open a sample(Just take some wire and peel off the insulation(topmost).

As for joints made in wires, taping will not help. You need a "shielding tape" which will protect from unwanted externel noise. Currently your joints and the main cable are acting as an additional antenna and picking up unwanted electrical disturbance.

In case your antenna is boot mounted, the length of the cable will be long, so it will pick up slightest of externel noise and hamper with reception. I doubt any fitter(except a few experts) will take care to get shielded cables and shielding tape for antenna connections. Get in touch with Sam/navin and ask them where to source such equipment.
Old 24th November 2005, 14:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

best speaker is a very vague term. given that you got Blaus in the back I would recommend you listen to the JBL and Blau 4" and decide.

JBL and Blau are a bit bright (for me) but most people like them. if you listen to violins you'll find them a bit strident.

if you are not happy with either try Focal, Boston, Infinity, Hertz (I've never heard them) and Alpine and maybe Polk audio.

there are more expensive speakers but a speaker is only part of a system. if you had infinity in the rear for example i would have told you to choose between infinity and alpine.
Old 24th November 2005, 15:27   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

for the front 4'' u can try JBL gto 426 at 2.5k or the blaupunkt series which matches with the rears..or else you can also try the hertz ECX 100 at 4.3k or the alpines..these are the chioces i would be looking at if i were you..
and coming to the amp at 6k if u can stretch it a bit u can get a pioneer 6100 which is great VFM at 7k..im sure vivek can vouch for this,speaking of which havent seen vivek around for quite somethime now..guys any idea where he's disappeared to..
Old 24th November 2005, 15:36   #14
A.T

Quote:
your antenna cable may be new and perfectly okay, but that does not mean that it will have shielding. You have to cut open a sample(Just take some wire and peel off the insulation(topmost).

As for joints made in wires, taping will not help. You need a "shielding tape" which will protect from unwanted externel noise. Currently your joints and the main cable are acting as an additional antenna and picking up unwanted electrical disturbance.

In case your antenna is boot mounted, the length of the cable will be long, so it will pick up slightest of externel noise and hamper with reception. I doubt any fitter(except a few experts) will take care to get shielded cables and shielding tape for antenna connections. Get in touch with Sam/navin and ask them where to source such equipment.
hi
thanks again
will do the shielding check on cable.
My antenna is mounted on the front side next to windshield & it comes along with the attached cable & socket.
Old 24th November 2005, 16:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
if you are not happy with either try Focal, Boston, Infinity, Hertz (I've never heard them) and Alpine and maybe Polk audio.

there are more expensive speakers but a speaker is only part of a system. if you had infinity in the rear for example i would have told you to choose between infinity and alpine.

navin...... which is better speakers..infinty or alpine???

I have heard that alpine speakers are not as good as compared to infinty [not sony,pio,blau] though alpine makes better amp and HU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks