Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 13:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

JBL GTO1214D vs JBL GTO1214

Hi,

The difference between SVC & DVC is that DVC can be wired in different ways and thus 1214D can be played at 2ohm whereas 1214 cannot. Would this statement be true?

I was initially planning to go for JBL GTO1214 but soon realized that there's a DVC available in the same model, it only shows in the US region of JBL website though.

JBL GTO3501 (360 rms at 2 ohm) is the amp that I was planning to have with 1214 sub (350 rms at 4 ohm). This means that if the amp is played at 4 ohms, the power would reduce to 225 rms and it wouldn't be enough to drive the 1214 sub. However, if I buy GTO1214D instead I can play the amp at 2 ohms (360 rms) but wouldn't that mean that at 2 ohms the sub would also have 700 rms?

Other questions that I have are-
1. GTO1214 is ~5.5k, is there a significant price increase for GTO1214D? Is it even available in India, particularly in delhi?
2. I've seen a few setups here where GTO1214 is powered by GTO3501 amp. Is it the right amp to go with GTO1214? Wouldn't it be underpowered when playing at 225 rms trying to power up the 350 rms sub at 4 ohms?
3. If GTO1214D is available and there isn't much price difference I would definitely want to go with this one but would this mean going for an even more expensive amp?
4. If DVC is not available then any other mono amps that I should consider with 1214 instead of the 3501? (Its just that it felt right to have a JBL amp with a JBL sub )

Not sure if I've got my maths correct up there so please point out the discrepancies
Old 8th September 2010, 18:52   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Hi,

The difference between SVC & DVC is that DVC can be wired in different ways and thus 1214D can be played at 2ohm whereas 1214 cannot. Would this statement be true?
true, if it's a 4 ohm DVC.

Quote:
I was initially planning to go for JBL GTO1214 but soon realized that there's a DVC available in the same model, it only shows in the US region of JBL website though.

JBL GTO3501 (360 rms at 2 ohm) is the amp that I was planning to have with 1214 sub (350 rms at 4 ohm). This means that if the amp is played at 4 ohms, the power would reduce to 225 rms and it wouldn't be enough to drive the 1214 sub. However, if I buy GTO1214D instead I can play the amp at 2 ohms (360 rms) but wouldn't that mean that at 2 ohms the sub would also have 700 rms?
yes, the sub would be underpowered at 225w RMS at 4 ohm. but it would still play well, though not as loud. and no, a DVC sub won't have 700w RMS. it would still be 350w only.

there's another thread in ask the guru - some thread on gurugyan, navin believes it's better to run an amp at 4ohm and not at 2 ohm unless its 1 ohm stable. i think it should be fine, set the gains on the lower side.

Quote:
Other questions that I have are-
1. GTO1214 is ~5.5k, is there a significant price increase for GTO1214D? Is it even available in India, particularly in delhi?
2. I've seen a few setups here where GTO1214 is powered by GTO3501 amp. Is it the right amp to go with GTO1214? Wouldn't it be underpowered when playing at 225 rms trying to power up the 350 rms sub at 4 ohms?
3. If GTO1214D is available and there isn't much price difference I would definitely want to go with this one but would this mean going for an even more expensive amp?
4. If DVC is not available then any other mono amps that I should consider with 1214 instead of the 3501? (Its just that it felt right to have a JBL amp with a JBL sub )

Not sure if I've got my maths correct up there so please point out the discrepancies
you can try in grey, i don't think officially GTO is available in DVC. Driven had a 4 ohm Infinity DVC that can be wired at 2 ohm. dunno know if its still there, it would be within 6k if available and would match well with the JBL amp you say. there is not much of a price difference between SVC and DVC, but it's very difficult to get DVCs in 300w entry level range within 5-6k, nobody usually imports or stocks them.
Old 8th September 2010, 20:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
yes, the sub would be underpowered at 225w RMS at 4 ohm. but it would still play well, though not as loud. and no, a DVC sub won't have 700w RMS. it would still be 350w only.
I knew my maths wasn't right somewhere. Its clear now that though DVC can be wired differently to play at 2 ohms but the rms doesn't change.

Quote:
there's another thread in ask the guru - some thread on gurugyan, navin believes it's better to run an amp at 4ohm and not at 2 ohm unless its 1 ohm stable. i think it should be fine, set the gains on the lower side.
I read that just today and for some reason feel that it'd be better if I play the amp at 4ohm only

Another question though, since the amp (3501) wouldn't justify GTO1214 I researched further and found that JBL has a 4-channel amp with just the right rms that I'm looking for 1004 with 400 rms (a little more than the sub but I think I'd atleast be able to get max output from the sub). However, is a mono amp advisable with a sub or would 4-channel (with all channels bridged) serve a similar purpose. I mean logically there shouldn't be any difference but practically is a mono amp still advisable. If yes, any specific reason?

Also, would going with a Kenwood amp be ok with a JBL sub. Again, logically there shouldn't be a problem or should I restrict myself with JBL amps since the sub is also JBL.

PS: Thanks montyguru for replying to the thread. I was losing hope with 150+ views and 0 replies
Old 9th September 2010, 12:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I read that just today and for some reason feel that it'd be better if I play the amp at 4ohm only
sure, go ahead, no harm, safer also. a lot of good amps are pretty stable at 2 ohms, and as it is, unless it's a showcar or something, most people do not give it full power for more than 10mins. but 4 ohms is definitely better if you are happy with it.

Quote:
JBL has a 4-channel amp with just the right rms that I'm looking for 1004 with 400 rms

PS: Thanks montyguru for replying to the thread. I was losing hope with 150+ views and 0 replies
jbl 1004 will give you 200-250w in 2 channel bridge mode, and you would need a DVC to drive the sub. not advisable. monos are specifically made for subs, for 14 grand approx the MRP of 1004, you'd get a kenwood that can handle 500w at 4 ohm, 900w at 2 ohm and 1800w at 1 ohm i guess. i could be wrong here... you can check for Kenwood 9104D specs on google to be sure. and there's no such compulsion to have same amp and sub.

regards replies... i'm sure they will soon be pouring and you'd end up increasing your budget!!
Old 9th September 2010, 13:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
jbl 1004 will give you 200-250w in 2 channel bridge mode, and you would need a DVC to drive the sub. not advisable. monos are specifically made for subs, for 14 grand approx the MRP of 1004, you'd get a kenwood that can handle 500w at 4 ohm, 900w at 2 ohm and 1800w at 1 ohm i guess. i could be wrong here... you can check for Kenwood 9104D specs on google to be sure. and there's no such compulsion to have same amp and sub.
Checked out the Kenwood amp at amazon via shopyourworld.com, Kenwood KAC-9105D is available for 10,800+3248(shipping) :(

I guess I'd need to check it out in the local market only

Last edited by fine69 : 9th September 2010 at 13:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks