Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 12:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Review Needed - Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod Adapter

Hi guys,

I am in the process of upgrading my head unit from the Pioneer 6950IB to the high end Pioneer DEH-P80RSII. I am very happy with the 6950IB as it has Direct iPod control and just needs a cable for the same which is also very fast. However, with the high end P80RSII, it is disappointing to know that it doesn't have this feature and requires a separate iPod adapter for the same. The compatible adapter I believe is the Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod Adapter.

Now, I am in the process of purchasing both the equipment this week itself and require a quick and detailed review particularly on the Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod Adapter as I have checked the internet for reviews and majority of the reviews claim that the interface is very slow. Is it really worth investing in this adapter if it doesn't support full speed iPod control?
Old 7th September 2010, 15:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

Really need you help here before I take the plunge for this iPod adapter. Anyone can help me here?
Old 7th September 2010, 22:05   #3
BHPian

Hi Epic, I recently updated my P80RS with a USB Adaptor, as I was loosing the CD's because of the scratches on them. I am not a big fan of IPOD though. I went for Pioneer CD-UB100 which is a USB adaptor just like the one CD-IB100. Since the USB adaptor was detected as the External source, it seems that this device is aliento it. I mean the control of it is little bit tough. Since the P80RS directly supports the IPOD and you have the direct control to play the playlists. Since these are connected to the main device through the IP-Bus they take little time to communicate. But in my opinion that delay is negligible when compared to the convienence they provide. In the USB adaptor case, the device detection time is about 5 secs there after I didn't see much of delay, moving from one track to another track it was about 2 to 3 seconds. The only issue was with the browsing of tracks. Moving one track to another track was simple, by controlling the Multi function controller. But moving within the track was little tricky. Also the display of names and tracks was not that great, I haven't utilized as I have just connected to P80RS temporarily and I need to test is more. But I would suggest if you just moving to P80RS because it is more advance, then I think you can go for DEH-P7150 (It will be more cost effective and faster too). You will need P80RS if you want to use them device in network mode, which is you want to connect the three RCA outs to lower/middle/high frequency outputs.

Last edited by vrrraju : 7th September 2010 at 22:06. Reason: spelling
Old 8th September 2010, 13:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
Hi Epic, I recently updated my P80RS with a USB Adaptor, as I was loosing the CD's because of the scratches on them. I am not a big fan of IPOD though. I went for Pioneer CD-UB100 which is a USB adaptor just like the one CD-IB100. Since the USB adaptor was detected as the External source, it seems that this device is aliento it. I mean the control of it is little bit tough. Since the P80RS directly supports the IPOD and you have the direct control to play the playlists. Since these are connected to the main device through the IP-Bus they take little time to communicate. But in my opinion that delay is negligible when compared to the convienence they provide. In the USB adaptor case, the device detection time is about 5 secs there after I didn't see much of delay, moving from one track to another track it was about 2 to 3 seconds. The only issue was with the browsing of tracks. Moving one track to another track was simple, by controlling the Multi function controller. But moving within the track was little tricky. Also the display of names and tracks was not that great, I haven't utilized as I have just connected to P80RS temporarily and I need to test is more. But I would suggest if you just moving to P80RS because it is more advance, then I think you can go for DEH-P7150 (It will be more cost effective and faster too). You will need P80RS if you want to use them device in network mode, which is you want to connect the three RCA outs to lower/middle/high frequency outputs.
Hi Vrrraju,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I am a little confused though; are the P80RS & P80RSII separate head units of are they the same? Also, apparently there are two iPod adapters available, CD-IB100 & CD-IB100II. You seem to be using the same iPod adapter but the only difference is that yours is connected through the USB slot available on the head unit (P80RS). Again, when you say that the P80RS has direct iPod control, I am assuming you just need a connection cable and not the adapter?? Kindly clarify as I am currently using the Pioneer 6950IB which doesn't need an adapter but just a cable which supports full speed iPod control.

The head unit I will be installing is the P80SII with the CD-IB100II iPod adapter. The P80RSII doesn't have a USB slot and is 'iPod Adapter' ready.
Old 8th September 2010, 22:36   #5
BHPian

Hi Epic, I don't think there is much difference between P80RS and P80RSII except I think it is improved version of it such as RDS functionality in Tuner and dedicated TA key on the face plate. Rest everything is same. To clear few points. There are no USB ports or interfaces on either P80RS or P80RS-II. All the adpators be it CD-UB100 (USB Adaptor) or CD-IB100 (IPOD adaptor) have to be connected to the IP-BUS at the rear. The difference between CD-IB100 and CD-UB100 is the IPOD adaptor directly provides the cable which can be connected to the IPOD directly (No USB Cable required), where as the USB adaptor is just any USB female connector to which we can connect USB sticks and HDDs. And the IPOD ready indicates that the HU can play the playlists that are in IPOD. I am not sure if you can connect the IPOD to an USB adaptor through the cable provided by IPOD which usually connects to the desktop/laptop. Even though it gets connected, it would be connected as Mass Storage data and not as IPOD.

I have one doubt, since the P80RS was introduced in the market way back in 2006 and the IPOD adaptor also was introduced at the same time, have you checked that which generations of IPOD it can connect to, as I found lots of threads on internet which indicate that certain HU's which were IPOD connectivity had only accessible to certain generations of IPOD's only.
Old 9th September 2010, 00:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Epic, I am using CD-IB100 iPod Adaptor on my Pioneer P5750 head unit, it works seamlessly, without any delay!
Only thing, you have to use the controls on HU to change the tracks or to select any other options...
Old 9th September 2010, 00:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

The adapter works like charm with Nano and iPod Classic. If you have steering remote then u don't even have to touch the HU!

Last edited by abhibh : 9th September 2010 at 00:33.
Old 9th September 2010, 16:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
Hi Epic, I don't think there is much difference between P80RS and P80RSII except I think it is improved version of it such as RDS functionality in Tuner and dedicated TA key on the face plate. Rest everything is same. To clear few points. There are no USB ports or interfaces on either P80RS or P80RS-II. All the adpators be it CD-UB100 (USB Adaptor) or CD-IB100 (IPOD adaptor) have to be connected to the IP-BUS at the rear. The difference between CD-IB100 and CD-UB100 is the IPOD adaptor directly provides the cable which can be connected to the IPOD directly (No USB Cable required), where as the USB adaptor is just any USB female connector to which we can connect USB sticks and HDDs. And the IPOD ready indicates that the HU can play the playlists that are in IPOD. I am not sure if you can connect the IPOD to an USB adaptor through the cable provided by IPOD which usually connects to the desktop/laptop. Even though it gets connected, it would be connected as Mass Storage data and not as IPOD.

I have one doubt, since the P80RS was introduced in the market way back in 2006 and the IPOD adaptor also was introduced at the same time, have you checked that which generations of IPOD it can connect to, as I found lots of threads on internet which indicate that certain HU's which were IPOD connectivity had only accessible to certain generations of IPOD's only.
Hi Vrrraju,

Very well explained. Thank you. This clears most of my apprehensions about the adapter. Will have to check the iPod generation thing but don't believe it would be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Epic, I am using CD-IB100 iPod Adaptor on my Pioneer P5750 head unit, it works seamlessly, without any delay!
Only thing, you have to use the controls on HU to change the tracks or to select any other options...
This is exactly what I want as this is exactly how it is in my current setup with the 6950IB and I am sure, this is how it is supposed to be.

But again, you are using the CD-IB100 and I will be using the CD-IB100II. What is the difference, really, between these two? I believe the CD-IB100II is just an improvement of the CD-IB100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
The adapter works like charm with Nano and iPod Classic. If you have steering remote then u don't even have to touch the HU!
Will have to check out this steering remote. What is the model number?
Old 10th September 2010, 17:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Will have to check out this steering remote. What is the model number?
Check this out:
Amazon.com: Pioneer Cdsr100 Steering Wheel Remote Control: Electronics
Old 10th September 2010, 23:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Thank you for the link. How good is this remote anyway? This being a steering remote which will not be facing the head unit directly may have issues with infra red signal not reaching the head unit and hence not working most of the time? I remember wanting to buy a similar Pioneer remote in the past a couple of years ago and being advised against it due to the lack of range.
Old 11th September 2010, 21:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Thank you for the link. How good is this remote anyway? This being a steering remote which will not be facing the head unit directly may have issues with infra red signal not reaching the head unit and hence not working most of the time? I remember wanting to buy a similar Pioneer remote in the past a couple of years ago and being advised against it due to the lack of range.
There is no such problem with pioneer remote. It works flawlessly even if steering remote is not in line of HU!
Old 20th September 2010, 12:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

My Review

Hi all,

After a lot of reservations about this particular product, I finally had it installed in my car yesterday and thought of giving my own personal review/feedback on the product to help future users.

Since I was in the process of upgrading certain equipment in my ICE set up in my Swift to improve SQ, I had decided to upgrade only the speakers and the head unit in my current set up. My main requirement with regards to the head unit was direct iPod connection/control from the head unit itself. I was using the Pioneer 6950IB with had this function and required only the CD-UB100 iPod cable to do the needful as the head unit was iPod ready. I upgraded my speakers from JBL to Morels and immediately noticed a huge improvement in sound stage and clarity. Never had a problem with clarity when playing CDs but I was not happy with the clarity while playing through the iPod. The speaker upgrade improved that to a certain extent but nothing to write home about. Since my head unit was the next upgrade, I was looking for a high end head unit which has direct iPod control and preferably a Pioneer. None of the high end Pioneers had direct iPod capabilities and required an external adapter. I decided to get the Pioneer DEH-P80RSII but this high end head unit required the external CD-IB100II iPod adapter. On reading reviews on the internet about this adapter, there were many who said the adapter is irritatingly slow to use which was not the case in my Pioneer 6950IB with the CD-UB100 iPod cable. That was a full speed control. I hence, opened this thread to get reviews on the same.

I ultimately knew that if I wanted iPod control, I had no choice but to get this adapter so took the plunge and bought it. I did not know what to expect. By the way, the cost for this adapter was also a concern as it was being sold in Mumbai for a whooping 6k!!! I did not understand this ridiculous price and thanks to TBHP classifieds got a brand new adapter for 3k!!

So I finally got it installed yesterday and on powering up, I found that there was absolutely no difference with the iPod control functions as compared to my previous set up. Everything was as fast as before. Don't know why the negative reviews. More importantly the clarity in sound has improved to a huge extent!! It is probably just a notch or two below CD sound quality. Of course, I am sure the credit goes to the P80RSII and not the adapter. This has made me very happy and I am glad with the decision of both the head unit and the adapter. The CD-IB100II iPod adapter is definitely recommended.

Last edited by Epic : 20th September 2010 at 12:10.
Old 4th March 2011, 22:59   #13
BHPian

Re: Review Needed - Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod Adapter

Sorry to bump an old thread.I have a pioneer Pioneer DEH-P3900MP with a steering remote, would i be able to connect an ipod adapter to this so that i can control the ipod from the steering remote? currently it's an aux in setup with no problems to talk about, but nothing beats controlling the ipod from the steering given I'm the one driving most of the time
Old 21st September 2011, 18:20   #14
BHPian

Re: Review Needed - Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread.I have a pioneer Pioneer DEH-P3900MP with a steering remote, would i be able to connect an ipod adapter to this so that i can control the ipod from the steering remote? currently it's an aux in setup with no problems to talk about, but nothing beats controlling the ipod from the steering given I'm the one driving most of the time
Yes any pioneer AV receiver with 'P' before the model number would be able to support pioneer's IP-Bus system allowing the accessories connectivity. you can connect CD-IB100II

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks