Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 19:56   #1

ICE for Vista Limited Edition without losing boot space

Hi
Firstly, I am a novice on ICE and new to this forum.
The default Audio system in the Vista is quite Sad. Worse in the limited edition, no USB, no line output, no remote.

However, 2 things: It fits well in the console. and it has buttons for 10 channels (unlike the usual 6 in many HUs). So I can directly with 1 button touch quickly move across any of the 10 FM channels especially with my wrist resting on the gearstick.
I play my own music only on long drives - Mostly good quality MP3s - Rock (hard & soft), Instrumental - Western and Indian, Indian - Tamil / Hindi fims

With a total budget of say 15-20k without losing any boot space, not even any protrusions below the tray in the rear, Need advice on:
1. A good HU which will fit well (no extra plates to cover - considering the LE version has good interiors) with 10 channel buttons (not 6)
2. Good speakers and Amp - anything is fine with which gives the boom and the clarity - the only space i have is in the doors and for components in front
3. A good shop in Chennai who will do it for me and not take me for a ride or push certain brands more than others
4. I am getting a GPS navigator from Dubai - so need to connect it to the audio system (in case it matters while giving your inputs)

Thanks in advance to the experts.
Regards
Koushik
Old 11th September 2010, 10:08   #2

Forgot to mention above.

I also need to buy a Steering mounted remote control

Pls advice for that as well.

Regards
Koushik
Old 11th September 2010, 12:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

HU + speakers + AMP+steering remote is not realistic within 15~20K - unless you are planning bottom of the barrel

would suggest an alpine CDE 100EUB, + 6.5" speakers all round on spacers + minimal damping
Old 11th September 2010, 16:38   #4

Ok. I had put the 15 -20 k figure without much of an idea of how much to budget. I put in budget figure because technically there is no upper limit right. Willing go beyond (budget not so much of a constraint) if that is what is required for getting a good combination. Please can you advice accordingly. Thanks

Koushik
Old 13th September 2010, 11:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushikvenkat View Post
1. A good HU which will fit well
2. Good speakers and Amp -
4. I am getting a GPS navigator from Dubai -
For a good HU budget atleast 8K. Look for one with 3 line outs (and subwoofer control). Pioneer, Alpine or Kenwood will work fine.

For a set of front and rear speakers budget atleast 10K (front compoents + rear coax). JBL is a fair bet but if you want something better look at Polk, Boston, DLS, Infinity, Illusion, etc...

A basic 4 channel amp like the Pioneer 6400 or JBL 644 will cost you about 6K. These amps can drive 4 speakers or a small subwoofer and 2 speakers.

Also budget 3K or so for damping the front doors, firewall and trunk and 3K for good RCA wires and install labour.

In short a good entry level car audio system with 4 speakers (no sob) and amp will cost you about 25-30K.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:03   #6
BHPian

Just sharing the break up of my ICE

My set up was very basic:

Pioneer 4290 HU with USB & AUX - 8,200
JBL GTO 948 Ovals for rear - 3,700
JBL GT5 S-205 for front - 2,700

Total - 14,600

The system is very basic, but can serve my kind of music. More than the boom, I need clarity and I'm satisfied. But since you want a replacement for the stock HU, I would suggest a 2-DIN from Pioneer/Sony. Have a look at FH-P6050UB (Pioneer) or WX-GT77UI (Sony). Depending on budget you can ice up the cake.
Old 13th September 2010, 13:59   #7
BHPian

Find a good installer, it is equally important.

For a basic Amp go for the JBL 644, its enough to power comps.

For components if you are on a tight budget go for a JBL 608C. Illusion Electra 6.1, Soundstream components are excellent (But pricey). Audition these components and then decide.

Buy a 3 Pre-out head-unit, so that you have the flexibility to add a Sub later.
Many headunits to choose from, I've had bad experience with Sony Headunits so I'll advice you to stay away from them.

If budget permits you can go for components at the back or else go for 6x9's on the parcel tray.

For Wiring and RCA's you can go for Scosche/Monster Cables/JBL.

For the GPS Navigator, connect it to the headunit via Aux.

The cost of this setup will be ~30K

Last edited by adishenoy : 13th September 2010 at 14:00.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:40   #8

Hi all, Thanks for your inputs.
I am anyways going to Dubai next month. may pick up something there. have noted the models specified above. will keep you posted.
Old 25th September 2010, 03:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushikvenkat View Post
Hi all, Thanks for your inputs.
I am anyways going to Dubai next month. may pick up something there. have noted the models specified above. will keep you posted.
no point pickg up JBL, infinity or polk from Dubai. they are very well priced here. JL Boston Nakamichi etc r much cheaper there.
Old 31st October 2010, 01:41   #10

Thanks for all the inputs.

This is what i got in a offer deal in dubai.. was in a hurry.. dint have too much time to think or research the market.. so just picked it up since it was a good bargain.. need to get it fitted in my car..

All are Kenwood products -
HU - DDX 7034 BTM - This is a cool 2 DIN, 7 inch touch screen with DVD, Blue tooth, Navigation ready with some real swanky features
Amplifier - KAC M 645 - 4 channel
Subwoofer - KFC W1012 - need to buy an enclosure for this
Speakers - KFC M6932A - flush mounted

I need to still pick up the front component speakers -5.25 inches, the GPS device, dampers if required and the enclosure for the Woofer..

Now that I am back in Chennai, need some advice on a good place where i can get it fitted.. where i can also pick up the rest of the stuff..

its costing much more than i thought.. but i intend to keep my car for sometime.. so may as well spend and get the most out of it..

any suggestions on where i can get it fitted and buy the rest of the stuff and any other inputs / observations welcome.

Thanks
Koushik
Old 8th December 2010, 23:41   #11

Re: ICE for Vista Limited Edition without losing boot space

Hi all,

Thanks for all the inputs. I started with something else in mind, but finally landed up with something else.. anyways. finally got everything that i wanted for my highway drives.
Got the whole thing installed from Technokrat in Chennai. So finally the Set up is as below:
HU - kenwood DDX 7034 BT;
Amplifier - Kenwood KAC M 645 (4 Channel)
Subwoofer - KFC W1012 (12")
Front Components - Kicker DS 600.2 (This is what the guy insisted I should put)
Rear Coaxial (in doors) - Kicker DS 650
GPS - Satguide Navigation Kit.

Regards
Koushik
Old 9th December 2010, 15:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! What were the individual prices?
Old 15th January 2011, 23:23   #13

Sorry. Logged in after a month into team0-bhp.
Final individual prices:
HU - kenwood DDX 7034 BT with Warranty - 31500
Amplifier - Kenwood KAC M 645 (4 Channel) with warranty - 4400
Subwoofer - KFC W1012 (12") with warranty - 2100
Front Components - Kicker DS 600.2 - 6000
Rear Coaxial (in doors) - Kicker DS 650 - 4000
GPS - Satguide Navigation Kit. - 10300
Wiring, Installation, Power & RCA cables, spacers Woofer enclosure + grill, Amplifier pad etc - 8000

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks