Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2010, 15:07   #1
BHPian

ICE suggestions for Fiesta

Hi all,

I have managed to somehow live with stock ICE of Fiesta for 6 months but its getting very boring now. I plan to upgrade in a phased manner, but there are some challenges which has left me puzzled - Nothing difficult for the enthusiasts here I am sure.

I drive my car 100% of the times, so i need something that sounds good at the front. Also, since the car is owned by my parents, there is a certain restriction which makes the upgrade complex - I cannot change the HU! Yes, i know it sounds stupid, but i cannot change it. They love the integrated look and also dont want me to splurge money on upgrading the audio. I have decided to get back by changing stuff thats not visible!

My concern here is, will adding stuff like components along with amplifiers actually improve anything if I am not changing the HU? or is it a bad idea and i should simply live with this, forever?

If audio quotient can be improved, i would like to know:
  1. what additions should i do? My budget for first round of mods is about 10 grands. And i am not expecting a woofer at this price.
  2. Which component speakers?
  3. Do i have to buy an amp if i am going for a pair of component speakers at the front?
  4. What spec amp should i go for? 2 channel/4 channel?
  5. Can i go for a 2 channel amp now just to power the front components and add another amp when i add a woofer? I read that having two amps is better than one? Is it true, can 2 amp be fitted with my existing HU?
  6. Till the time I install a woofer, can i place the existing front coaxial speaker in rear door making it 2 tweeter at front + 2 components at front + 4 coaxial at rear (door+parcel tray) setup? Sounds unreal to me.
  7. Do i have to change the tweeters too? Is it a part of component speaker package? and will they fit in place of existing tweeters?
  8. I also read about HU having some pre-outs for woofer(?), i am not sure if my HU has that, how does that change the equation? Do i even have to worry about this?

Loads of questions i can see.. would appreciate your help here..

Thanks!
Old 25th September 2010, 20:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are plenty of ICE threads already existing in this lovely forum, bit of search will give you tons of information, which you will not finish in a week's time. Even if you search Fiesta specific ICE threads, there should be more than 5 that are active right now. Hope that helps.
Old 1st October 2010, 10:34   #3

Hey mate,

Find your your car's stock speaker size and then go shopping, If possible buy component speakers so you can mount the tweeters in the 'a' pillar. Secondly, you may consider sound deadening your front doors before you put the speakers in. This will not only improve the bass response but also provide a better imaging and staging effect in your car.

Always try to match your speakers RMS rating to the amplifier for best results, more is better though, but not less. If you are looking up add amplifier, try to get a four channel amp with a built in subwoofer crossover, so you can bridge the rear channels to run subwoofer later, you can always bridge the amp in two channels to use it until you get a subwoofer. Try to aim for 10 inch as it will blend in well with your subwoofer but you have the option and money then go for bigger subwoofer but taking into consideration that bigger subs will need a larger box.

You will need to buy high to low converters so you can pick up the signal from your head unit form the rear speakers, a minimal of 8 gauge power wire with fuse holder not less than 18 inches from the battery is needed, make sure the ground cable is 8 guage as well since power travels form the 'negative" to positive in cars, thus the 12v negative ground terminlology.

Make sure the amp is mounted securely, you can attach the amp with some velcro tape to the stock carpet but all subwoofer box will have to be secured well so it does not turn into a missile if somebody hits you from behind. Good luck mate!
Old 1st October 2010, 11:18   #4
BHPian

If the OE HU replacement is a strict no-no, you have options: Like this one
Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 Digital Signal Processor with OEM Integration: Electronics which came across during my research.

There are others as well from Pioneer etc I guess.
Old 1st October 2010, 11:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

OMG one more Fiesta in the process of getting ICEd.

Looking at the way the Beast is being modded, I think Ford India will start introducing all these stuff in the new Fiesta 2011.

@kapil BTW at what volumes do you listen to the music when you drive.
Old 24th May 2011, 17:24   #6

Requesting advice for ICE upgrade in a Fiesta

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade the ICE setup in my fiesta. Right now searching for a decent 2 din HU and coaxials for the back.

1. Car: Ford Fiesta

2. Current setup (If any): Some pioneer cassette player and speakers in the back. They dont sound good at all.

3. Budget: 15K

4. Self driven or chauffer driven? Self driven

5. Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Rock to hip hop and everything in between. Both old and new bollywood songs. And a special place in my heart for punjabi songs.

Of the 15K budget I am thinking of investing around 8-10K in the HU and 5-6K for the coaxials. I am hoping that a HU in this range will provide me decent features as well as options to add other components later on. Plan to add front components, an amp and a subwoofer a few months down the line but right now the coaxials should be enough.

Request the experienced folks here to help me out in my search.

Also from the various threads I gather that there can be two sizes(or types) for the coaxials -6.5" and 6X9. Which of these better for the overall music experience? I do not wish to change the stock look of the rear tray. On a diffrent thought, which of these speakers are more capable of handling the increased power output from an amp ? Or is it not the type/size but some other factors which define this ability.
Old 21st August 2013, 13:56   #7
BHPian

Fiesta, Under the ICE Knife.

It all started as a culmination of an ages old itch, posts of some insane audiophiles in this forum and a test ride in my college’s car recently. It was a Polo with Infinity Primus all around and a 4 channel amp. As a hardcore fan of blues, classic rock, county songs and acoustic guitar solos, I could not resist me itch any longer than upgrading my stock ICE of Fiesta!

Don’t want anything fancy. Just a good HU with BT , a 4 channel amp and comps on front and a co axial at rear. Probably a SW in boot at a later stage. With a naughty 6 year old and her countless toys and dolls on trips, can’t compromise on boot space an inch

To make matter worse, my finance manager (read Wife) gave me a strict budget of 30k and not a penny more.. I was lingering with the ideas and different permutation and combinations for some time and suddenly Snapdeal announced a terrific deal on Infinity Primus comps and coaxial. Couldn’t resist myself and bought both together at a price of 6.7k ! I didn’t have a quote below 8k for both from any of the retailer. Just got the components delivered yesterday and rest will come today.

Now I have 23.3k left in the budget, my thoughts on other items as follows.

HU: I strictly don’t want an AV unit in my car and definitely want BT & USB. Should be a 2 din and 3 RCA pre outs for future expansions. Finally should look good. I am trying to saty away from Pioneer as a brand cause of bad experiences in past. To make it short I have a shortlisted Kenwood DPX- u5130BT or JVC KW –r900Bt. I got a quote of 12k for Kenny from the authorized dealer in Calicut. Any other options in Alpine?? Quite frankly I am sold on the looks of Kenny? Only things holding me back are the time alignment and 5v RCA preouts of JVC… does it matter really? Also JVC is not available off shelf now I believe
ICE suggestions for Fiesta-dpxu5130bt.jpg
Name:  jvc kwr900bt.png
Views: 1028
Size:  176.4 KB
4 Chanel Amp: a no brainer 60W RMS should be good to go and again I think Kenwood KAC- m846 should be enough for me. Ga quote 0f 5.9k. any other better in the same budget ?

No idea on RCA, wiring kit other items required. I have a budget of roughly about 5.5k left. Is dampening required for fiesta? I found it pretty solid compared to Marutis… more over they are quoting 2.5k per door

I didn't like the 2 din facia any of the shops carry so have to buy it from FASS i guss.

As of now

HU : kenwood DPX U5130bt or ?
Front Comp: Infinity Primus 6500Cs
Rear Coaxial: Infinity Primus PR9603is
AMP: Kenwood KAC M846 or ?
AMP wiring Kit: Is branded really required?
RCA: which brand ?
Speaker wire: is the stock in car or cables came along with speakers are enough?

Finally in serch of a good installer in Calicut who can put this together as the Humenware makes the real effect in ICE..really like to know some views on the above things as i am neally a novice in this subject.
Old 21st August 2013, 16:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiesta, Under the ICE Knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_2191 View Post
Just a good HU with BT , a 4 channel amp and comps on front and a co axial at rear. Probably a SW in boot at a later stage.

Infinity Primus comps and coaxial. Couldn’t resist myself and bought both together at a price of 6.7k !
Now I have 23.3k left in the budget, my thoughts on other items as follows.

HU: I strictly don’t want an AV unit in my car and definitely want BT & USB. Should be a 2 din and 3 RCA pre outs for future expansions.
Kenwood DPX- u5130BT

Only things holding me back are the time alignment and 5v RCA preouts of JVC…

4 Chanel Amp: KAC- m846 should be enough for me. Ga quote 0f 5.9k. any other better in the same budget ?

No idea on RCA, wiring kit other items required. I have a budget of roughly about 5.5k left. Is dampening required for fiesta?

HU : kenwood DPX U5130bt
Front Comp: Infinity Primus 6500Cs
Rear Coaxial: Infinity Primus PR9603is
AMP: Kenwood KAC M846
AMP wiring Kit: Is branded really required?
RCA: which brand ?
Speaker wire: is the stock in car or cables came along with speakers are enough?
Does the JVC HU have Time Alignment? This is useful if you want to integrate a subwoofer to the front speakers.

For power cables good 4GA wire from Polycab or Finolex will suffice. For a single amp config you don't really need all the accessories a kit provides.
navin is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks