Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2010, 14:27   #1
BHPian

MapMyIndia NaviBox for 2-din Players (Sony, Pioneer, kenwood)

Dear bhpians,

I have an sx4 and I am seriously thinking about replacing stock in-dash player with some good future rich 2-din player. After lot of study finally I have decided to buy Sony XAV-70bt. It has everything I am looking like bluetooth (with streaming support), iPod/iPhone direct control, reverse camera, support for most of the video/audio formats etc. It also has a feature through which it can produce 5.1 surround sound in the car without actuall having center/side speakers which is not there in any other 2-din from Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood etc. The only thing lacking in this model is inbuilt GPS.

You can refer sony site for more details :

XAV-70BT : Mobile Display : Xplod In Car Visual : Sony India

But to my surprise, I found a device sold by Mapmyindia specially made for sony head units called x67. Refer the following link for more details :

MapmyIndia Navigator In Dash Car Navi box : With India's best maps and driving directions | Turn-by-turn directions | Travel across India

The above link clearly mentions that it supports sony XAC-70BT head unit. However sony side doesn't talk about any support to GPS or navigation. I did lot of googling and coudn't find any information. I called up mapmyindia and they are assuring that their device is 100 %compatible for XAv-70 and it is specially made for sony products.

The confusing factor for me is generally blackbox gps/navi devices need to be connected using 16-pin RGB cable connection to in-dash players. Even x67 needs that connection. But XAV-70 doesn't have RGB input. How can it be compatible then?

Request you guys please answer to my questions.

1.Does sony have rgb or any equivalent input so that x67 can be connected? Their side doesn't talk about it.

2.Is there any adapter that may be required to connect x67 with xav-70bt ?

3.If it really supports, then why sony site doesn't tell anything about gps support ?

4.If anyone have already done the above or something equivalent to the above configuration in their car, please let me know.

5.Is it worth spending another 22K bucks for mapmyindia ? rather I can go for already built-in 2-din units?

Interestingly mapmyindia selling other navibox models like bx100, bx200 that are compatible with pioneer, kenwood 2-din player having rgb input.

Last edited by dilsoft : 24th October 2010 at 14:33.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsoft View Post
...The above link clearly mentions that it supports sony XAC-70BT head unit. However sony side doesn't talk about any support to GPS or navigation. I did lot of googling and coudn't find any information. ...
Sony doesn't have to talk about it - the MMI unit is an aftermarket extension, not related with Sony. Just like a WD external HDD does not have to be endorsed by HP, Compaq, Lenovo etc.

Quote:
...generally blackbox gps/navi devices need to be connected using 16-pin RGB cable connection to in-dash players. ... But XAV-70 doesn't have RGB input. How can it be compatible then? ...
That is not the only connection method. The MMI information is incomplete, doesn't mention exact interface method. However, despite that we cannot assume it is incompatible since they mention specifically the Sony model number.

Quote:
... 1.Does sony have rgb ... Their side doesn't talk about it.
Why does Sony have to talk about RGB or the MMI unit? And RGB is not the only interface to interface a nav unit. One can also do it over USB + composite video (yellow RCA plug), as well as Sony BUS. According to the manual. there seem to be multiple USB and composite video inputs.

Quote:
...2.Is there any adapter that may be required to connect x67 with xav-70bt ?
The manual of the MMI unit seems to mention that the appropriate cable is supplied with the unit.

Quote:
... 3.If it really supports, then why sony site doesn't tell anything about gps support ?
Since Sony is not supplying nav functionality nor nav extension, why should they talk about it? One of the reviews against the product on the Sony site rues the fact that it does not have nav built-in.

Quote:
...5.Is it worth spending another 22K bucks for mapmyindia ? rather I can go for already built-in 2-din units? ...
Beyond saying that it reduces the confusion of having another screen for nav (separate nav unit like Garmin or even MMI), the price definitely prevents it from being VFM. However, some people may find the simple integration with the HU incentive enough to buy it even at that cost.
Old 24th October 2010, 20:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Satguide offers a similar unit for for Sony XAV-70BT for 10,290/-.

If they are also mentioning the same Sony HU model on their website, it confirms that your HU is very much compatible for navigation.

They have listed 13,890/- on their website but they will give it to you for 10,290/- if you send them an email (they had listed 10290 till Wednesday/Thursday).

Compatible Navigation Kit For Alpine And Kenwood From Satguide
Old 24th October 2010, 21:03   #4
BHPian

@DerAlte, thanks dude for the clarification. It reduces my confusion. I also came across Sony bus connection, but the MMI site didn't mention correctly which wire they provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Sony doesn't have to talk about it - the MMI unit is an aftermarket extension, not related with Sony. Just like a WD external HDD does not have to be endorsed by HP, Compaq, Lenovo etc.
But, f you see models like Pioneer AVH-P6050, JVC AVX-835, they specifically mentioned RGB input for Navigation ready. Anyone tries to sell their product with as much as they can. If that is the case, I wonder why sony people don't talk about it ? Adding two words "Navigation ready" might boost Sony unit's sales I guess ?

Anyways, I think I can blindly go ahead for Sony XAV-70t. Slowly I can think of GPS unit depending on my budget.

@mukeshgoel, Your point increases my confidence on Sony XAV-70bt since Satguide people also mentioned it. The price difference is huge. I think I can go for satguide. But the only thing is, do they have wide map coverage across india ? I heard that Satguide way behind of MMI in terms of map coverage, POI list etc..

Thanks u guys for replies

Last edited by dilsoft : 24th October 2010 at 21:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks