Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 11:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

ICE refresh on the Baleno

I recently got a used Baleno and i will be upgrading the ice in it shortly. Well i never used to care much about the

ICE in the car untill the bug bit me

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...bai.html#post1

The current setup :

A Pioneer CD player ( dont recall the model. ) and Pioneer A6960E 6x9 240W speakers in the rear. Not sure if there are

any speakers in the front door, i definetly cant hear them if they are present.

Upgrade planned :
  • Pioneer 5290SD HU
  • JBl GTO 608 c components in the front. ( Are there better alternatives at around the same price, give or take a couple of thousands )
  • JBL GTO 948
  • JBl GT5 644 4ch amp
  • Scosche wiring kit.
  • Damp the doors and the boot.

Some of the questions which i have in my head right now are ..

Can i retain the pioneer Pioneer A6960E 6x9's at the rear and skip the JBL GTO 948? If i do so my budget would allow me to add a sealed box subwoofer to the list. And if so, i need recommendations on what subwoofer i can go for.

Also i would like to know if its a good idea to let the front components and subwoofer be driven by JBl GT5 644 4ch amp, if the pioneer rear fills are powered by the HU?

Also please recommend a decent VFM sealed box subwoofer.

I listen to all types of music, hiphop, house, trance, metal, hindi so cant really put a finger on one genre.

Last edited by heavy_foot : 18th November 2010 at 11:12.
Old 18th November 2010, 11:34   #2
BHPian

1) The 6x9 at the back are fine. You can run them off the HU.
2) Yes you can use a the sub and the fronts from the same amp.
3) I suggest you look for a better amp. While the GT5 is at a lovely price point the 'GT' series is a bit better. Look around from other installs for what options of subs you can take.
4) Check the condition of the rears before you continue. For a first phase though I would suggest you run with 6x9 and spend on a better amp if possible as the 6x9's do put out a fair bit of bass.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
1) The 6x9 at the back are fine. You can run them off the HU.
2) Yes you can use a the sub and the fronts from the same amp.
3) I suggest you look for a better amp. While the GT5 is at a lovely price point the 'GT' series is a bit better. Look around from other installs for what options of subs you can take.
4) Check the condition of the rears before you continue. For a first phase though I would suggest you run with 6x9 and spend on a better amp if possible as the 6x9's do put out a fair bit of bass.
Thanks,

Which is the GT series amp are you talking about? i didnt find any in the JBL India website.

I think the rears are in a good condition, however i will take the opinion of the installer when i get the stuff installed.

The subwoofer, i am looking for recommendations for a box type to be placed in the boot ( dont mind if its sealed or ported ) and i would like to go for a tried and tested one. What are the options? The current 6x9's dont put out much bass as compared to the JBL 947's which i was using in my zen.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

One more question, If the setup is like,

Pioneer 5290SD HU ( 3 preouts ) driving the rear fills and
4 channel amp driving the front components and the undecided subwoofer.

Will i be able to use the 4 channel fader feature in the Headunit?
Can i also control the subwoofer levels, other features like HPF etc from the HU?

If these things are not possible, i will proberbly chuck the subwoofer for now and use the amp to drive the front components and 948 speakers at the rear. Please advise
Old 18th November 2010, 13:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Pioneer 5290SD HU ( 3 preouts ) driving the rear fills and
4 channel amp driving the front components and the undecided subwoofer.

Will i be able to use the 4 channel fader feature in the Headunit?
Can i also control the subwoofer levels, other features like HPF etc from the HU?

If these things are not possible, i will proberbly chuck the subwoofer for now and use the amp to drive the front components and 948 speakers at the rear. Please advise
If your amp has a REMOTE subwoofer level control (itis a wire that attaches to the amp and has a 'volume' control on it that sits in the cabin) you can control subwoofer level othwise you cant.

If the channels that feeds the subwoofer gets it's feed from the front preouts then the subwoofer will fade with the front channels and if they get their feed from the rear pre outs then the subwoofer will fade with the rear channels.
Old 19th November 2010, 11:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Navin,

I guess i will go conventional and just get the HU + front components + rear coaxials + 4 channel amp for now. Sub + another amp would be added at a later stage if i feel the need for it.

Meanwhile there is a slight change in the equipment list.

•Pioneer 5290SD HU
•DLS C6A components in the front.
•JBL GTO 948
•JBl GT5 644 4ch amp ( I am also looking at cheaper alternatives offering similar performance...any suggestions ? )
•Scosche wiring kit.
•Damp the doors and the boot.

Anypointers where i can get a good deal on the DLS C6A in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai? Please PM me if you cant post it here.

Last edited by heavy_foot : 19th November 2010 at 11:12.
Old 19th November 2010, 13:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sooraj,
Dump the 6x9s.
Instead, get a JBL GT5-S12 and a 1.0 cu.ft. sealed enclosure and run it off the bridged channel of the JBL amp.
This setup will rock.
Plenty of us run just front speakers+sub combo and we're absolutely happy.
Rear speakers are for rear passengers or the 5.1 crowd.
Old 19th November 2010, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hmm..I think i need the rear speakers as there are going to be passengers in the car at times. And i agree a subwoofer is required to complete the sound.

The head unit comes with 3 preouts. Now i want to be able to control all the speakers with the 4 channel fader in the Headunit. Along with that i want to be able to control the HPF settings for these speakers from the HU. I would also like to control the subwoofer levels from the HU.

Now will all this be possible if i run the rear 6x9s off the HU and run a subwoofer from the bridged channel of the JBL amp?

If not, will the above..i.e using the HU to control the speakers ( fader + HPF )and woofer possible if i run 2 amps.
1st Amp - 4 channel for the front and rear speakers.
And the 2nd Amp for the subwoofer.

Sorry if all this sounds dumb, ICE is more confusing than i thought.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks