Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 14:01   #1
BHPian

Using Secure Digital (SD) Cards in the Skoda Superb

I want to use a Class 10 SD card with the Bolero entertainment system in my Skoda Superb 1.8 TFSI A/T to improve upon the transfer speed that I get from the Class 4 card. However, before buying the new card from the UK, I wish to confirm whether the car's music system can handle the all-new Class 10 card.

Any suggestions/inputs please?
Old 13th December 2010, 14:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Secure Digital (SD) Cards

And why would you want a Class 10 SD Card? Are you sure that the transfer speed from a Class 4 card - which is anyhow way too fast for music playback - is insufficient for your needs?
Old 13th December 2010, 14:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
And why would you want a Class 10 SD Card? Are you sure that the transfer speed from a Class 4 card - which is anyhow way too fast for music playback - is insufficient for your needs?
Yes, I do as it takes the Class 4 up to a minute to switch to another singer when I use the "selection" feature of the system. The question now is whether Superb's system can handle the Class 10. I wrote to Skoda but they simply asked me to contact the dealer, who in the first place had asked me to contact Skoda. Wonder why Skoda can't answer a simple question like this without making customers run around back and forth?
Old 14th December 2010, 12:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
Yes, I do as it takes the Class 4 up to a minute to switch to another singer when I use the "selection" feature of the system. The question now is whether Superb's system can handle the Class 10 ...
That's a conjecture, sir. The issue is with the HU's ability to do list processing, not with the transfer speed of SD Card. Have a heart, the HU processor is not a PC processor. It is a very low power controller from which one should not expect even netbook level performance.

At 4MBps (MegaBytes/s; 32Mbps), Class 4 cards are good enough for Full HD Video recording. You can definitely put in a Class 10 card in its place, just that the reader in the HU will read it at a speed that it needs to, not what the card is capable of. Transfer speed of an SD card matters only when you want to write to it (Class represents the MAX SUSTAINED WRITE SPEED), like still or video frame recording. Read speeds are always in excess of the fastest write speed of a card.

Quote:
... I wrote to Skoda but they simply asked me to contact the dealer, who in the first place had asked me to contact Skoda. Wonder why Skoda can't answer a simple question like this without making customers run around back and forth?
You are wondering about their attitude, but you haven't questioned the knowledge of the people you asked a question to. You may take pride in your knowledge and customer satisfaction consciousness - just don't expect that by default with dealers and car companies.

Also, they know only about the car, not the accessories, forget which Class of SD card has what relationship with the HU. Wrong expectation on your part.

Last edited by DerAlte : 14th December 2010 at 12:23.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2010, 12:21   #5
BHPian

Thank you DerAlte/others for the inputs as result of which I have defered my decision to buy the Class 10 SD card. British pounds 17 saved?

Last edited by ivar1951 : 14th December 2010 at 12:22.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
At 4MBps (MegaBytes/s; 32Mbps), Class 4 cards are good enough for Full HD Video recording.
We found some HD camcorders need Class 6 cards to do full (AVCHD video file) HD (24Mbps) and at Class 4 fall back to 17Mbps. Why? We dont know.

Still Class 6 is more than adequate for full HD video.

Class 4 is about 32x. Class 6 is about 48x.

Quote:
Yes, I do as it takes the Class 4 up to a minute to switch to another singer when I use the "selection" feature of the system. The question now is whether Superb's system can handle the Class 10.
Like DA said you Hu's processing is the limiation. A faster card will not help.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:49   #7
BHPian

I have a 8GB Class 4 SD card which is now almost full. While it was working fine earlier, lately -- after I downloaded some more music -- the music breaks when I switch between folders. Within a folder, it works normally. The card, however, works fine on my laptop. Any suggestions/solutions please?
Old 4th January 2011, 10:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Ivar, it has nothing to do with the card butthe software in your HU that searches between folders.
Old 4th January 2011, 11:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Ivar, it has nothing to do with the card butthe software in your HU that searches between folders.
Thanks Navin. The card was working fine between folders when the download was about 5GB. So what should I do? Reduce the number of songs? Or what?
Old 4th January 2011, 14:39   #10
BHPian

I recently bought 16GB microSD Card. Not all files are getting copied, some folders are missing. When I use it in my camcorder, it records the videos, playback works fine, but when the camcorder is turned off and on, it asks whether to format the card and the files are lost. Tried with different usb adapter to copy the files from the computer, when the card is safely removed and inserted again some files vanishes, don't know what is the issue.
Old 5th January 2011, 10:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I recently bought 16GB microSD Card. Not all files are getting copied, some folders are missing. When I use it in my camcorder, it records the videos, playback works fine, but when the camcorder is turned off and on, it asks whether to format the card and the files are lost. Tried with different usb adapter to copy the files from the computer, when the card is safely removed and inserted again some files vanishes, don't know what is the issue.
Before using a SD card in a camcorder it makes sense to format it on the camcorder.

Quote:
Thanks Navin. The card was working fine between folders when the download was about 5GB. So what should I do? Reduce the number of songs? Or what?
If you reduce the songs you dont really need a 8GB card na? 4GB cards would suit your HU better.
Old 5th January 2011, 10:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Before using a SD card in a camcorder it makes sense to format it on the camcorder.

If you reduce the songs you dont really need a 8GB card na? 4GB cards would suit your HU better.
Thanks, Navin. Point taken.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:15   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Using Secure Digital (SD) Cards in the Skoda Superb

I am not sure what this 'Class 10' spec is or means but I use a simple 2gb SD card in my Superb and it is very quick. No real lag in loading, infact it is quicker than a CD in terms of loading.
Old 10th February 2011, 15:05   #14
Team-BHP Support

Re: Using Secure Digital (SD) Cards in the Skoda Superb

@Sahil - Class 10 signifies the read/write speed of the SDHC card (similar to the 40x , 133x etc of SD cards)

Class 2 is the slowest, and the higher the Class the faster. Currently the fastest available card is Class 10 if im not mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Speed Class Rating is the official unit of speed measurement for SD Cards, defined by the SD Association.

The Class number represents a multiple of 8 Mb/s (1 MB/s), and meets the least sustained write speeds for a card in a fragmented state.

Class 0 cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.
Class 2, 2 MB/s, slowest for SDHC cards.
Class 4, 4 MB/s.
Class 6, 6 MB/s.
Class 10, 10 MB/s.
LINK

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks