Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 12:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

JBL 608GTi or ID CTX65CS or Rainbow CSX 265 DREAM or Rainbow SLC 265 KICK

Hey Guys,

I'm looking forward to upgrading my front components. Have shortlisted the following models. Requirement is SQ with EXCELLENT midbass.
  • JBL 608GTi
  • ID CTX65CS
  • Rainbow CSX 265 DREAM
  • Rainbow SLC 265 KICK
I've heard Rainbow KICK, albeit on a puny amplifier called 8401 and have not auditioned the rest particular models.

I'm planning to bridge the channels on my 75.4 and use them to power the above. (See the crave for the midbass ).

Any other options that you guys may suggest??
Old 17th December 2010, 13:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: JBL 608GTi or ID CTX65CS or Rainbow CSX 265 DREAM or Rainbow SLC 265 KICK

Well, the C608GTi is now discontinued and there may be some trickle stocks here and there. There's no replacement in that price range and the only GTi component that will be sold through 2011 is the C660GTi which is really quite expensive.

How did you like the Rainbow Kick?
Old 17th December 2010, 13:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sam for the information. Being a top-line JBL, I can hardly doubt its quality. I'm not sure about of its performance w.r.t. midbass and if would it be able to handle the power. (bridged 75.4). Would appreciate if you could throw some light on that. I know you're affiliated to the brand, but there are not many GTi users here.

Rainbow KICK was good overall; but I didnt' like the treble response or the midbass (perhaps it had to do something with the amp or the settings).
Old 17th December 2010, 13:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Thanks Sam for the information. Being a top-line JBL, I can hardly doubt its quality. I'm not sure about of its performance w.r.t. midbass and if would it be able to handle the power. (bridged 75.4). Would appreciate if you could throw some light on that. I know you're affiliated to the brand, but there are not many GTi users here.

Rainbow KICK was good overall; but I didnt' like the treble response or the midbass (perhaps it had to do something with the amp or the settings).
Oh it can handle the power alright, no doubts there.

Yes it is a top-of-the-line EISA award winner blah-blah -- but dude, it costs almost a lakh of rupees.

It's nice, but hear and decide. It's a lot of money.
Old 17th December 2010, 14:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Oh it can handle the power alright, no doubts there.

Yes it is a top-of-the-line EISA award winner blah-blah -- but dude, it costs almost a lakh of rupees.

It's nice, but hear and decide. It's a lot of money.
Thanks Sam. A lakh is for 608GTi or 660GTi? In case its 608GTi, am getting it a bit cheaper .

Auditioning is bit of a problem, hence relying on advice!! Please throw some light on the midbass performance.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky
In case its 608GTi, am getting it a bit cheaper
of course, he's talking about the 660gti.
You're getting the 608 GTi in India for around 25k?

Edit:
Dayyyum, this one goes for 10k INR in the US!
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-C608GTi-MkII...-/360325217676

Last edited by nitrous : 17th December 2010 at 15:31.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Thanks Sam. A lakh is for 608GTi or 660GTi? In case its 608GTi, am getting it a bit cheaper .
Panky. 660Gti.

Quote:
LOL. Sam you have me die laughing very soon.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
of course, he's talking about the 660gti.
You're getting the 608 GTi in India for around 25k?
Yeah 25 K or less would be the price of the 608GTi.

I am afraid I cannot shed light on the performance Panky. I hope you understand.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.I hope you understand.
Of course I do
__________________________________________________ _
Old 18th December 2010, 00:56   #10
BHPian

I have heard the Rainbow SLC 265 KICK running bi-amped on ~100 to 120W. The car was well damped. I really enjoyed the sound. One of the very few Rainbow speakers that I truly liked (maybe the paper mid bass has something to do with it). The mid bass attack is immense and I mean it, so getting the sub to integrate with the fronts would be less work.

But yes, with just 50 to 60W per side, they might sound bland.

Recently, got the chance to audition the iD Chameleon component set. Decent sounding speakers but the tweeters are really lively (almost bright). The crossover offers tons of options to tune the tweeters but the basic sound signature is for those who like the music lively and attacking.

The ID CTX65CS is somewhat similar as far as the tweeter is concerned but with lesser tweeter options. Wouldn't recommend the ID CTX65CS if you don't like music lively.

panky, quick questions for you.
Budget? Which car? Favorite genres?

75.4 might be a good amp but to be honest, I don't think bridging 2 channels to get more power will do justice to good speakers. Not sure of how much, but THD increases and amp loses control whenever you bridge two channels.
Old 18th December 2010, 11:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
I have heard the Rainbow SLC 265 KICK running bi-amped on ~100 to 120W. The car was well damped. I really enjoyed the sound. One of the very few Rainbow speakers that I truly liked (maybe the paper mid bass has something to do with it). The mid bass attack is immense and I mean it, so getting the sub to integrate with the fronts would be less work.

But yes, with just 50 to 60W per side, they might sound bland.

Recently, got the chance to audition the iD Chameleon component set. Decent sounding speakers but the tweeters are really lively (almost bright). The crossover offers tons of options to tune the tweeters but the basic sound signature is for those who like the music lively and attacking.

The ID CTX65CS is somewhat similar as far as the tweeter is concerned but with lesser tweeter options. Wouldn't recommend the ID CTX65CS if you don't like music lively.

panky, quick questions for you.
Budget? Which car? Favorite genres?

75.4 might be a good amp but to be honest, I don't think bridging 2 channels to get more power will do justice to good speakers. Not sure of how much, but THD increases and amp loses control whenever you bridge two channels.
Thanks for your reply.. Yep! Thats exactly why I said that it had to do something with the amp. Would love to audition the Rainbows on my amp. These are something I'm seriously considering.

I've heard IDs in the past.. they were quite detailed. (not sure about the model number).. they were out of my budget at that time. I think I'd better check out Chameleons now. I like my music lively (forward sounding).

I dont have the requisite budget to upgrade the amp as of now. Actually speaking, I'm more than satisfied with the current set-up. Its just that I need some excellent midbass, I'm considering an upgrade for the front comps.

Someone suggested me to bridge the channels of my amp to provide more power to the comps. JBL 75.4 is a powerful amp and drives a 12" sub very well when bridged. I'm not sure what the outcome would be like if I supply the same power to 6.5 inchers..

My car is Indigo; Budget is app 25K; favorite genres (on a serious note.. no chamkila ) are 60% "Raags (Indian classical)/Ghazals" (I have close to 70 GB 320Kbps Mp3s ripped off the original ACDs of these) 20% "Hip-Hop" Rest are "Mixed (Punjabi/Bollywood/Akon types)".
Old 18th December 2010, 12:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure of how much, but THD increases and amp loses control whenever you bridge two channels.
Care to explain a bit more as I do not understand what do you mean ???
Old 18th December 2010, 12:15   #13
BHPian

That's an awesome budget for upgrading components .
I assume that you have the full 4 channels of the amp available for the components. If yes, then apart from bridging, consider bi-amping an option as well. The SLC components come with bi-ampable crossovers, and 100*4 at 4 ohms is more than enough power for most components.

Plus, you'll infinite tweeter level settings, just need to adjust the gains knob
Old 18th December 2010, 12:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Care to explain a bit more as I do not understand what do you mean ???
Read about that on the internet. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the link now. The discussion was on bi-amping and bridging option and it talked about how damping factor of an amp decreases when running on bridged mode. Could be purely theoretical but it was an interesting discussion. Maybe the Gurus can shed more light on this.
Old 18th December 2010, 12:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's an awesome budget for upgrading components .
I assume that you have the full 4 channels of the amp available for the components. If yes, then apart from bridging, consider bi-amping an option as well. The SLC components come with bi-ampable crossovers, and 100*4 at 4 ohms is more than enough power for most components.

Plus, you'll infinite tweeter level settings, just need to adjust the gains knob
Thanks. Can you please shed some more light on the bi-amping front??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks