Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 22:26   #1
BHPian

Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.

Hello Everyone, It has been few years since I have been taking help from threads on Team-Bhp. After using many Sony, Pioneer & Alpine MD/CD/VCD/DVD/MP3 players, I am starting this thread so that it would be helpful to all thinking of making a CarPuter.

I know the question comes to everyone's mind why a computer in the car? My answer is because we can.

I am a hardware guy & know that the Cabinet is most important in an Computer.

When I decided to make a Car Pc I thought it would be best to have everything in the dashboard. In excitement I ordered the Bybyte Black Box N Double DIN Enclosure. It gets too hot in Delhi, changed the plan & got the iRide Quadrant-Fx Enclosure from a friend. However then felt the need of slim optical drive in the car Pc. Hence located the Smallest Cabinet with optical drive option. Found a old Dell Cabinet that was perfect for my setup. Now the other two Enclosure are spare. Let me know (PM me) if anyone needs them.
Attached Thumbnails
Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-blackboxf.jpg  

Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-blackboxb.jpg  

Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-iride.jpg  

Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-dells.jpg  

Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-delll.jpg  

Old 1st January 2011, 02:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.

Interesting Choice of Cabinet. Waiting for Updates.
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:38   #3
BHPian

Thanks Ripper, This was the smallest cabinet available with an disk drive option. My car had no space under the seat & allot of space in the back this made me choose the Dell cabinet over the others.

I had to mark the holes for Motherboard screws & drilled them in the cabinet metal sheet. I am using the VIA 12000 EPIA MII-Series Mini-ITX Board. It was fitted in a way so that I can even add a PCI card as well if needed. Check the Pic1 for M.B. install.

I opened Opus SFX-1215 150W DC-DC Power Supply, mark the holes for screws & drilled for holder on other side of the cabinet. I am also powering my Lilliput 7" VGA screen from this P.S. Check the Making your monitor touch screen for Car PC http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...en-car-pc.html

I am using a normal size hard disk drive as this cabinet has the option to use the 3.5"disk drive. Please check the Pic for complete install.

I am now facing issue with installing the Panasonic Blu-Ray drive in this cabinet. The laptop slim optical drive is too thin & cannot be used without any casing. If I install Blu-Ray drive with the UCB Casing it is very tight & the drive tray would not open. Although I have installed it with double tape, do not know for how long it would last. I was planning to install the cabinet behind the back seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-dellmotherbfix.jpg  

Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-dellpshdd.jpg  

Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-dellcomplete.jpg  

Old 4th January 2011, 00:31   #4
BHPian

+1 to what Ripper said.

It was a good idea to place the CarPC in the 2-DIN space in dash. The optical drive could be mounted somewhere else. Nobody wants to open the car's boot to change a disk.

Moreover, a laptop HDD is always recommended over a regular 2.5" desktop HDD.

I see your location as Delhi. Maybe we can meet up sometime & discuss!
Old 4th January 2011, 02:59   #5
BHPian

StreetAddict I somewhat agree the CarPc should be in 2-Din space. It resolves allot of issues. When I was planning to go for the Double DIN Enclosure. I had decided to Install it with the Optical Drive below the 2 din. A friend of mine had already made it for Lancer, picture attached with screen enclosure. But I had to make the CarPc for Octavia . I may build another Car Pc for Lancer if I am satisfied with the performance of this one.

I also agree a laptop HDD is best for Car as it can handle the bumps & jerks. I am using a Blu-Ray drive & with capacities 25-50 Gb per disk. I do not think I would be changing the disks too often.

I live in Gurgaon these days. I come to Delhi every weekend. I would love to meet fellow Bhpians & have a look at their setups.
Attached Thumbnails
Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-imag0241.jpg  

Old 4th January 2011, 05:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would advice you cover the power supply with its metallic box since it may introduce EMI into the rest of the components and will not to be good for audio.

The disk drive is also recommended to be used when car is stationary, more as a copy device than a running one when car is in motion,

Last edited by gigy : 4th January 2011 at 05:50.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:34   #7
BANNED

Hi harneet,
Nice to see your setup in progress.
Looks like its my Lancer's dash. anyways its still for sale if you need it.
All the best for you setup
Old 5th January 2011, 19:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
I would advice you cover the power supply with its metallic box since it may introduce EMI into the rest of the components and will not to be good for audio.

The disk drive is also recommended to be used when car is stationary, more as a copy device than a running one when car is in motion,
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
Hi harneet,
Nice to see your setup in progress.
Looks like its my Lancer's dash. anyways its still for sale if you need it.
All the best for you setup
Thanks for the advice Gigy, I would surely try that & update on the audio performance. I am using the laptop blu-ray drive which is shock resistant. However I agree it is best to use the optical drive while car is parked.

Hey Monty, Yes it is Lancer Dash that you had made. I would surely let you know if I need it. Guys He is my mentor, he helped me a lot whenever I had issues with CarPc. Monty Thanks 4 your help & support.
Old 8th January 2011, 02:59   #9
BHPian

I have Good & Bad News. The CarPc has been Installed successfully, however it has some issues. The biggest issue is my battery goes dead in 2-3 days (if I do not start the Car) . I am not sure if it is the old Battery, Delhi's Cold weather or the CarPuter. One thing I have noticed is the light glowing for all USB devices even when the CarPc is in off state. Please suggest what can be done to fix this issues.

I have decided to use the Creative Audigy2 Pcmcia Card for Audio Output as i am not satisfied with the on board audio. Its 24-bit sound resolution and 7.1-channel audio output. I know there are plenty of good options available in PCI cards but I feel a PCI card would cause more issues than enhancing sound quality. On the other hand Creative has optical in & out, I am sure if I can find an Car Amplifier with Optical Input it would sound the best 5.1 as optical cables pass the least distortion. Suggestions are welcome from the experts.

Meanwhile I am thinking of using the Blaupunkt THA555, It is an 5/4/3 Channel 840 Watt Power Amplifier - With Maximum Power: 4 x 110 watts + 1 x 400 watts. Would power two BLAUPUNKT THW1000 10" SUB-WOOFER. They are aluminum skin saucer with extremely low weight and mounting depth of just 2.5". Hence they can easily be mounted anywhere. The
Power Handling is 200RMS, Peak Power Handling 600Watt. Lets see how rest of the setup goes this weekend .
Attached Thumbnails
Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-creativeaudigy2pcmciacard.jpg  

Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-tha555.jpg  

Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-thw1000.jpg  

Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-creativeaudigy2pcmcia.jpg  

Old 8th January 2011, 12:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

A better option would be a Creative X-Fi external unit running off USB. Blaupunkt stuff is good.

USB stays on after shutdown in many small boards. If there is no control in BIOS to enable / disable that, you should try putting a switch in the 12V power line going to the PSU. Mount the switch somewhere convenient in the dash.

From your description it looks like your battery is close to going kaput. Get the battery checked at a battery shop. Carputer cannot be the cause of that if it shuts down / hibernates, since those LEDs will not draw a significant amount of current if left on - definitely not enough to drain out your battery.
Old 10th January 2011, 19:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarneetBarmy View Post
One thing I have noticed is the light glowing for all USB devices even when the CarPc is in off state. Please suggest what can be done to fix this issues.
Check your windows power settings whether the power button action is set to hibernate or standby. The PC will draw a small amount of power if it is set in standby mode.

Quote:
I know there are plenty of good options available in PCI cards but I feel a PCI card would cause more issues than enhancing sound quality. On the other hand Creative has optical in & out, I am sure if I can find an Car Amplifier with Optical Input it would sound the best 5.1 as optical cables pass the least distortion. Suggestions are welcome from the experts.
Don't you need a PCMCIA card reader for that?

I don't see an issue using a PCI card. Considering you have enough space to install one!

Car Amplifiers with optical input are supposed to be used with car HU's. I'll suggest you to test it before putting money to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
A better option would be a Creative X-Fi external unit running off USB. Blaupunkt stuff is good.
Good idea, if you are willing to delay the POST by 30 seconds! Again, I'll suggest you to test it first.

Last edited by StreetAddict : 10th January 2011 at 19:54.
Old 10th January 2011, 20:10   #12
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the info guys, I am novice in this section, could you please share the purpose of the PC install, would this be used to run any diagnostics or would it be purely for the audio pursuit, appreciate advice.

Best
Old 11th January 2011, 02:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

USB stays on after shutdown in many small boards. If there is no control in BIOS to enable / disable that, you should try putting a switch in the 12V power line going to the PSU. Mount the switch somewhere convenient in the dash.

From your description it looks like your battery is close to going kaput. Get the battery checked at a battery shop. Carputer cannot be the cause of that if it shuts down / hibernates, since those LEDs will not draw a significant amount of current if left on - definitely not enough to drain out your battery.
DerAlte Thanks, I will check the Bios settings. I agree it is the old Battery the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAddict View Post
Check your windows power settings whether the power button action is set to hibernate or standby. The PC will draw a small amount of power if it is set in standby mode.

Don't you need a PCMCIA card reader for that?

I don't see an issue using a PCI card. Considering you have enough space to install one!

Car Amplifiers with optical input are supposed to be used with car HU's. I'll suggest you to test it before putting money to it!

Good idea, if you are willing to delay the POST by 30 seconds! Again, I'll suggest you to test it first.
Thanks StreetAddict for the suggestions. Yes we need a PCMCIA card reader for this Creative card, fortunately my motherboard came with the reader . This Dell Cabinet is smaller than usual hence the PCI cards needs to be small in height only then they could be installed. I could not find any car amplifier with Optical except this one http://videos.mp3car.com/images/play_button2.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Thanks for sharing the info guys, I am novice in this section, could you please share the purpose of the PC install, would this be used to run any diagnostics or would it be purely for the audio pursuit, appreciate advice.

Best
Hey Motoringlover, don't worry we all are new over here. Well I know this question was coming, Why an CarPC? The answer could be different for everyone. I had already ordered an Pioneer AVIC-F500BT Double Din (siting box packed) while waiting I came across the thread of CarPc & I knew I wanted an Carputer. It is an complete car entertainment, with On board diagnostics & it can go up to your imagination. The best part is I will always find new things that I can add to this CarPc & don't think I can ever get boarded of this kind of setup. I hope this answers your question.
Attached Thumbnails
Not just another CarPC Carputer Setup.-pioneer20avicf500bt.jpg  

Old 11th January 2011, 23:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
This Dell Cabinet is smaller than usual hence the PCI cards needs to be small in height only then they could be installed.
Well, you can use a flexible PCI riser card. I got a brand new one lying around. Let me know if you (or anyone) needs it!
Old 12th January 2011, 03:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
DerAlte Thanks, I will check the Bios settings. I agree it is the old Battery the culprit.

Thanks StreetAddict for the suggestions. Yes we need a PCMCIA card reader for this Creative card, fortunately my motherboard came with the reader . This Dell Cabinet is smaller than usual hence the PCI cards needs to be small in height only then they could be installed. I could not find any car amplifier with Optical except this one http://videos.mp3car.com/images/play_button2.png

Hey Motoringlover, don't worry we all are new over here. Well I know this question was coming, Why an CarPC? The answer could be different for everyone. I had already ordered an Pioneer AVIC-F500BT Double Din (siting box packed) while waiting I came across the thread of CarPc & I knew I wanted an Carputer. It is an complete car entertainment, with On board diagnostics & it can go up to your imagination. The best part is I will always find new things that I can add to this CarPc & don't think I can ever get boarded of this kind of setup. I hope this answers your question.

Guys Sorry for the wrong link earlier. I could not find any car amplifier with Optical except this one
MP3Car.com - Ultra Cheap Optical Input Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAddict View Post
Well, you can use a flexible PCI riser card. I got a brand new one lying around. Let me know if you (or anyone) needs it!
Thanks for the suggestion, I did not knew something like this was available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks