Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 16:30   #1
BHPian

Damping Safari 2.2 - My Experiments with in-cabin Noise/ Vibration Reduction

Hi!!!

Have been consistently following up with Sound Damping Thread, as well as DIY - Damping initiatives by a number of forum members for last 1+ yr.

Some questions which lingered in my mind for this period:
  • Will Damping really help a heavy vehicle like Safari?
  • Aren’t noise levels in 2.2L version already much lower than the earlier 3L/ TDIC versions?
  • Which Stuff to use – Availability vs Cost?
  • Can it be pure DIY?
Some of the factors which finally made me take a plunge for my 3+ yrs old beast:
  1. Vibrations Noise from A/ B Pillars, Doors, Overhead Console – esp. @ 1200 – 1500 RPM
  2. Increasing Engine Vibrations – probably aging factor too
  3. Dissatisfaction from the from the front Component Speakers – mounted on Plastic panel
  4. Shrill/ brittleness from Tweeters (sounded very bright)
  5. Encouragement from some Forum Members’ experiments
Step 1: Selection of the Damping Material
Finally zeroed down on the Wurth Sound Damping Pads, basis availability and company repute. Googled and contacted one of their Sales Manager, who promised to deliver the product at Chandigarh.
Ordered 7 Packs – Approx 65 sq feet (each pack contains 6 sheets of 550*250*2 mm)
Total Cost (including VAT + Transportation) for 7 Packs – Rs. 12779/- (Rs. 200/ Sq Feet approx)

Step 2: Inputs from Forum Members
PMed few Forum Members for their expert advise/ inputs. My Heartiest Thanks to Deralte, LionX (Sumith), Navin and Stefanm for their inputs.
Also watched couple of Videos on YouTube – on installation of Dynamat/ NoiseKill.

Step 3: Finalisation of right guys to do the Job
For Doors – was able to coax my ICE installer – who readily agreed to spend his Sunday on my vehicle. Ensured that he shall get along a Hot Air Blower and other instruments to dismantle Door Panels
For Dashboard – Searched/ inquired and finally zeroed on an Air-Conditioning Repair Electrician – experts in handling Dashboards - probably said to be among good ones in the City. He actually discouraged me from going ahead with Damping the Firewall – stating that Firewall is already carpeted with Ύ” thick carpet (Namda).
Also purchased a 3” Seam Roller from the Paint Shop – for Pressing/ Contouring the Sheets to Metal

Actual Job Weekend (January 29 – 30, 2011)

Day 1 – January 29, 2011 (Saturday)
Reached Chandigarh Auto Market – Sector 28 at around 1030 Hrs. There were 3 guys who actually dismantled the Dashboard – approx 45 Minutes. Then hired services of one more guy (expert in carpeting), and he pasted the sheets on the Firewall – by first removing the carpet, followed by pasting the sheets and then re-carpeting.
The next step was to put some amount of these sheets in the A Pillars and Door Linings.
Dashboard was then assembled along with steering Wheel adjustment etc.
The entire Job was completed by 1400 Hrs.
Sheets used – 8 Sq Feet. Labor Cost – Rs. 1100/-

Day 2 – January 30, 2011 (Sunday)
My ICE installer reached my place around 1130 Hrs along with 2 assistants. We took our Safari and straightway went to Industrial Area – for designing of MDF Rings for front Compos. The guy we went to is said to be authority in his job.
Finally designed set of 3 MDF Rings (3*19mm) for each side, with the innermost ring having protruding extensions to help screw it with Metal Sheet, and the Outermost ring tapered at some area on external diameter – for fit of external plastic mesh locks.

Post this we returned home, and started damping of Doors:
Front Doors were first to be dismantled. Inner metal skin of each door was damped by 2.5 Sq Feet of sheets cut to size, while outer metal skin required approx 5.5 Sq Feet, and the FRP board approx 2.5 Sq Feet of stuff
We then mounted the MDF Rings and Compos on the Outer Metal Skin, and the front doors we assembled post that
Rear Doors were damped on just the Outer Metal Skin (5.5 Sq Feet) and the FRP (2.5 Sq Feet), and then assembled.
Post this we also damped
  • Overhead Console – Lights and Sun-flap Cluster
  • Side lining of Glove Box
Task completed @ 1830 Hrs, and hence had a relaxed Hot Shower @ 1930 Hrs.
Total stuff Used: 35 Sq Feet. Labor Cost – Rs. 1400/-

Hence Total Costing (Approx)
  • Cost of Material: 9000 (45*200)
  • Labor Cost 2500
  • Total Costing Rs. 11500/-
RESULTS:
  1. Much Quieter Engine @ pickup, and almost silent at high speeds
  2. Internal Vibrations – Plastics/ Doors vanished
  3. Sound Quality from Compos/ Tweeters much tighter
Regards,

Ishlesh
Old 31st January 2011, 17:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Damping Safari 2.2 - My Experiments with in-cabin Noise/ Vibration Reduction

Nice! I was gonna ask you to check with LionX since he was the only guy who had damped the firewall.

Pix would have helped.
Old 31st January 2011, 17:04   #3
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Damping Safari 2.2 - My Experiments with in-cabin Noise/ Vibration Reduction

Ishlesh, Nice work and useful info. Dint you take photos. Some photos would have certainly helped ! I am too planning to dampen my beast.
Old 31st January 2011, 17:32   #4
BHPian

Did you do anything to dampen the wind noise at speeds > 100kmph?
Old 31st January 2011, 17:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Did you do anything to dampen the wind noise at speeds > 100kmph?
Yes I have tried:
  • Have Damped the Triangular Brackets - on which Tweeters are mounted - Both on Metal (Closed Holes in Metal) as well as on Plastic
  • Have damped Gaps/ Holes on doors Lining
Seem to be effective - tested for very short duration. Real test shall be this weekend - when I drive to Delhi

@ JKDas/ V&V
Thanks:-). I am real lazy Bum at taking pics, though thought of same numerous times

Regards,
Ishlesh
Old 1st February 2011, 15:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishlesh View Post
Ordered 7 Packs – Approx 65 sq feet (each pack contains 6 sheets of 550*250*2 mm)

He actually discouraged me from going ahead with Damping the Firewall – stating that Firewall is already carpeted with Ύ” thick carpet (Namda).

Inner metal skin of each door was damped by 2.5 Sq Feet of sheets cut to size, while outer metal skin required approx 5.5 Sq Feet
2.5 sq. ft. looks pretty little for each door. I used 3 times that much for my Skoda. 2.5 sq. ft. (if we assume 2.5ft x 1 ft.) which will cover just part of a door.
Old 1st February 2011, 15:50   #7
BHPian

@Ishlesh, Congrats brother, you have done what most of us are not dared to try on safari.

I can imagine how silent your vehicle would be after the firewall damping even though mine is just 50% covered, its way better. I am going to give my car a complete damping and ICE next month. You may try a different engine oil + oil addictive for reduced engine vibration. I am using Petronas urania CI4 + Badral oil additive now and follow 10K oil change.

Please put your feedback after the trip.
Old 1st February 2011, 15:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2.5 sq. ft. looks pretty little for each door. I used 3 times that much for my Skoda. 2.5 sq. ft. (if we assume 2.5ft x 1 ft.) which will cover just part of a door.
Inner Metal Skin for Safari 2.2 are already damped partially (upper part), hence just damped the lower part - mainly near the Components
Outer Skin was damped heavily.
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Inner Metal Skin for Safari 2.2 are already damped partially (upper part),
damped with what? just plain rubber?
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:13   #10
BHPian

Passed my first test - late evening yesterday - my wife commented that the vehicle is definitely much more silent - especially at high speeds > 80+Km/hr
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
damped with what? just plain rubber?
Its basically some Damping material itself (probably Tar-mica based) as indicated in DerAlte's post #600 in following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...thread-40.html

Its just he is referring the same Outer Metal (and I am referring it as Inner Skin)

Regards,
Ishlesh
Old 8th February 2011, 15:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I have tried:
  • Have Damped the Triangular Brackets - on which Tweeters are mounted - Both on Metal (Closed Holes in Metal) as well as on Plastic
  • Have damped Gaps/ Holes on doors Lining
Seem to be effective - tested for very short duration. Real test shall be this weekend - when I drive to Delhi

Regards,
Ishlesh
Drove Chandigarh-Delhi-Chandigarh over the last weekend (500+ KM on NH 1).
Observations:
  • @ speed 80-100 Km/ Hr
    • Much Silent Engine w.r.t the Non-Damped one
    • Nil/negligible Air penetration noise
  • @ speed 100-120 Km/ Hr
    • Much Silent Engine w.r.t the Non-Damped one
    • Nil/negligible Air Penetration Noise from 'A' Pillars, ORVM Brackets
    • Noticeable Air Penetration Noise still disturbs - probably from 'B' Pillars and Rear Doors.
Request advise - if pasting Damping sheet across the entire stretch of Rear Doors Lining/ Beading shall help.

The only vibrations now existing are:
  1. LHS Sun-Visor vibrates @ approx 1400-1500 RPM
  2. 'B' Pillars housing Seat Belts Tensioners
Regards,
Ishlesh
Old 8th February 2011, 17:48   #13
BHPian

This sounds very promising. My car has already started showing its age in cabin noise. Even I am fed up visiting the TASS every 2 months to tighten all doors windows etc.

When you get time, please upload the photos and also all the locations where we have to apply this.
Old 9th February 2011, 15:47   #14
BHPian

This is truly useful. Am quite anal about noise levels in the car and this seems quite promising. It will be great if you could put up some photographs as well.
Thanks, Ravi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks