Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2011, 16:21   #1

SQ Setup for Polo (budget-friendly install)

For about two years i used to visit this website for all the information i would need and want to know about cars. Last year I finally became a member Still stayed very passive and today finally have found the need and the courage to go active so here it is. So got word that my polo should be here in around 2 weeks. Yaay! Now need to think about ICE!! I have already sourced a few things from the USA. (as i was living there for the past 5 years) So now i need help for the remaining parts of my system i.e Front stage (components) & Head unit.

List of what I have sourced already

1> Amplification for front stage : HRU.4 - Soundstream 4 Ch. 960 Watt RMS Class A/B Human Reign
Link for specs :
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7737-hru...amplifier.aspx

2> Amplification for Subwoofer: T1500-1bdCP - Rockford Fosgate 1500 Watt Class-bd Constant Power
Link for Specs :
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8963-t15...amplifier.aspx

3> Subwoofer: Ultimo 10 - Morel 10" SQ/SPL 4 Ohm 1000 Watt Subwoofer
Link for specs:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6455-ult...subwoofer.aspx

4> Wiring (amp kit) : SHK201 - Stinger HPM Series 1/0 gauge Amplifier Wiring Kit
Link for specs:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6669-shk...iring-kit.aspx

So thats what i have. what i need to add is a set of components in the front (I've decided to ditch the rear-fills) and a head unit, and dampening of course! Barring Dampening and installation charges, my budget for the head unit and front stage is around 70,000. I know people will always suggest to go way above budget but please lets try to stick to this. These need to be sourced here itself in Mumbai as i've moved back and my usa trip which was supposed to happen this week has been indefinitely postponed . So guys please come forth with your suggestions, remember SQ is my top priority. Audio Gurus HELPP

Thanks in advance

Last edited by aah78 : 11th February 2011 at 17:56. Reason: Links fixed.
Old 10th February 2011, 17:06   #2
BHPian

Re: SQ Setup for Polo (budget-friendly install)

"my budget for the head unit and front stage is around 70,000 !!". Is this what you call a budget-friendly install ?
Old 10th February 2011, 17:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

out of all the list , the only thing i didn't like is your 4 channel amp ..
you can look for some other amps like focal ,infinity DD or genesis !!
Old 10th February 2011, 19:43   #4

sreejeshmp : i feel for true sq it is. High end sq just for these things can easily run you 2 lak plus

chirag : i bought this amp after a lot of research on diyma.com this amp has been regarded by many to be highly underrated and german audio mags have consistently rated it in the top 10. An article on diyma showed that. You hve to just lift this amp to feel how heavy it is. Just google hru.4 wealth of info
Old 10th February 2011, 20:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
out of all the list , the only thing i didn't like is your 4 channel amp ..
you can look for some other amps like focal ,infinity DD or genesis !!

Human Reign buddy. You don't know what it is. Can send many a DD down the drain.
Old 11th February 2011, 00:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Human Reign buddy. You don't know what it is. Can send many a DD down the drain.
Thumbs up to that!
Frank i've followed your thread about your fiesta for very long and loved it.Any suggestions for the head unit and front stage? I'm really confused Audio Gurus please please please come to the rescue
Old 11th February 2011, 00:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

70 k for a head unit and components huh?
Not bad.
Sorry for sounding BLUNT and ABSOLUTELY uncouth, but I am not here to sugarcoat any words.
THERE IS NO DAMN HEADUNIT IN THE 30k-40k SLOT MADE PURELY FOR GOOD UNADULTERATED sound quality. We do have the DOUBLE DIN, LARGE SCREENED, BEJEWELLED, SE*ED UP, BLUETOOTH TOTING, iPHONE PLAYING 'so called' media players from Alpine and JVC (didn't mention other brands because they don't do any better) that come with average (not bad) music capabilities and most of their power (from a measly power supply) is concentrated in powering that huge funky screen and all the backlights behind the buttons etc. etc.

It's sad. Pioneer doesn't even figure, because for me, Pioneer makes only one head unit, thats the P99RS (or P01) and THAT is good quality stuff.

My Eclipse Cd7200MKII did such an awesome job in concentrating on music alone at a good price, but they don't make them like these anymore.

OH, And i forgot to mention. Don't even try falling into the Alpine trap. CDE117 will sound enticing till you know you have no crossover control in active mode. You need to spend a hefty amount on their processors. WHICH, sorry to say, ALPINE, is a CHEAP WAY OF MAKING MONEY. We want our 9887esque head units back. Which had all the features and only allowed assistance if needed, from processors.

Sorry for that monologue.

Head Unit Suggestions:
1. Pioneer P88RS (see if you can source it)
2. Eclipse CD7200MKII (LOVELY if you source it)
3. NO KENWOOD HIGH END STUFF PLEASE. They are facing tremendous quality control issues of late.
4. Pioneer P99 will cross your budget alone. So chuck it.

frankmehta's formula:
40k carputer + 40k components.

YOU'RE SET :-P

Component Suggestions:
1. I would mix and match the best drivers possible and have full control over them. Passive setups don't sound fun when the other stuff around is so awesome.

Start with looking for something like a good Neo magnet driver (has to be shallow to fit without mods, if you want it simple) and a smooth, flexible (position wise) tweeter.

Last edited by frankmehta : 11th February 2011 at 00:39.
Old 11th February 2011, 00:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Let me know if you want to go with a carputer. I shal list what I have in mind.

And about the components, if you do want a good sounding complete set, then I have no recommendations since I havent heard any good sets lately.

God alone knows what ever happened to good sounding (consumer) audio equipment.

We as prosumers can pick up good drivers and mix and match according to our tastes. but only if manufacturers understood that if they made something that sounded as good as it was priced, it would sell. Regardless of the price.
Old 11th February 2011, 00:49   #9
BHPian

@Youcanburn
Excellent Choice of Equipment!

I'd suggest you look for a Pioneer P80/88 set. One of the better sets you'd find in that range plus you can go fully active with it.

Components, well with your kind of budget, it comes down heavily to individual taste. Look at the Morel Elates, Rainbow Profis, Micro Precision, DLS Iridiums, Dynaudio. All of them are excellent speakers.
Old 11th February 2011, 01:03   #10

Had some of the same head units in mind . For the pio p99 (a.k.a budget killer), spoke to a guy from town side, he said in the grey market 55-60 k (if available) or 85K with B & W . Searched everywhere for the CD7200 MKII - Zilch! :( now maybe the used market for that..lets see. Dont know anything about the P88RS, will search for that. Also are there any suggestions on shops/installers in mumbai. I havent lived here for 5 years and my previous installer was sorry to say an idiot (made me put 6 6X9's at the back, I was 15 and didnt know jack :P). Have read about B&T's knowledge and that he has a store (I think Hermit audio) but I dont know where it is
Aah The Carputer: didnt think of that idea. Will give it a serious thought tonight. If i do decide on that I sure am going to need your expertise on that. I really appreciate the information and the 40 + 40 idea...thanks

On a side note: Would love to audition some setups if people are forthcoming. Would love for once not to buy blind!

thelord : thanks!. the problem with the components part is that of the one or two shops ive been to (milan types). They cant offer me a demo for these. And as i have not been in mumbai for the past 5 years I really dont know where to go

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th February 2011 at 03:01.
Old 11th February 2011, 01:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Firstly like to know what sought of music you listen too ?
Secondly are you gonna stick to more towards cds, wav files or apple lossless files on ipod ?

For the amp that's the perfect choice you made and at the price it's a steal. However these amps are power hungry, but the high output and THD is what makes it stand out.

Subwoofer: Again will depend on what music you mostly listen to. After one can decide whether to go sealed or ported enclosure and what sub will match to it.

Headunit: I would go with what Frank suggested. There aren't to many choices out there.
I would also suggest if you could streatch your budget a bit and pick a mono for the sub duty and use the SS HR for running the drivers active.
In which you could do a two way front active +sub.

Speakers: If you doing passive there are few good choices Dyns, Morels, Seas.
However if you plan to go active, one would need to select the driver carefully. Matching the efficiency of the drivers, looking at the Qts & Le of the drivers, choice on placing the drivers are few to start with.
One advantage with Active, SQ is at different level plus you have the control over the drivers. With the Human Reign amp active will be the preferred choice.
Old 11th February 2011, 01:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Firstly like to know what sought of music you listen too ?
Secondly are you gonna stick to more towards cds, wav files or apple lossless files on ipod ?

For the amp that's the perfect choice you made and at the price it's a steal. However these amps are power hungry, but the high output and THD is what makes it stand out.

Subwoofer: Again will depend on what music you mostly listen to. After one can decide whether to go sealed or ported enclosure and what sub will match to it.

Headunit: I would go with what Frank suggested. There aren't to many choices out there.
I would also suggest if you could streatch your budget a bit and pick a mono for the sub duty and use the SS HR for running the drivers active.
In which you could do a two way front active +sub.

Speakers: If you doing passive there are few good choices Dyns, Morels, Seas.
However if you plan to go active, one would need to select the driver carefully. Matching the efficiency of the drivers, looking at the Qts & Le of the drivers, choice on placing the drivers are few to start with.
One advantage with Active, SQ is at different level plus you have the control over the drivers. With the Human Reign amp active will be the preferred choice.
Its mostly cd's...have luckily, not downloaded music illegally,except when in dire need of music thats unavailable to buy:so have good quality stuff. So will Stick to CD's. I have a very eclectic taste in music except probably for heavy trance I like everything. I Listen to everything from Kailash Kher to bollywood old and new school to Vitamin String Quartet to top40's to coldplay to japanese artists such as Yiruma. As you can see i am all over the place :P

The Mono for the morel subwoofer is the RF T1500-1bdCP. The Two way active front was what i was planning to do but honestly have no idea how to mix and match. The hru.4 is just for the front duty and it does 140W RMS X 4 or 500 X 2 RMS (Birthsheet) so i guess it should be more than enough. Also I know the human reign is a power hog , thats the only thing about that amp that scares me. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesnt give me trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
"my budget for the head unit and front stage is around 70,000 !!". Is this what you call a budget-friendly install ?
Why i call this a budget friendly install is because of the items i have sourced till now they are pretty good on the price to performance ratio. I like SQ but honestly cant really afford the truly high end stuff like STEG's or Helix/brax or Mcintosh etc etc as amps or for the components like rainbow plats or focal utopias :( . Maybe if i can get some one to get a good set like rainbow profis down from the states (around 1000$) then would have about 35-40 K for the head unit. Otherwise im kinda screwed :P

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th February 2011 at 03:02. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 11th February 2011, 09:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing like a High end HU. What it does to your sound stage and imaging is something that none of the Double DIN, Touchscreen, Ipod ready, Blue tooth in HU's offer.

I ve searched far and wide for another CD7200 MK II, and i have to admit that these sell like hot cakes even in used market. If you have someone in Australia, you can get this brand new for 30K. I enquired 3 months back and they had a handful of units with them. (Fhrx Studios.com)

I think in current scenario, carputer is the way to go.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you looking at Head units, than you could also source that from US. Alpine 9887 and Pioneer P800/880 are both available at woofersetc.com
Apart from this getting a P99RS from Singapore or any other asian city should cost you around 45K +/-. You could look at sourcing the Pioneer (carrozzeria) DEH-P940, this is a sold only in Japan however could be available in Singapore in grey market.

There are also few Clarion DXZ785 on sale on Diyma that keep coming up. Combined this with an external processor like bit one, RF360.2 can give you lot of EQ and other tuning options.

Or else as Frank said get carputer.

For drivers, for the varied music that you listen to there's Morel Elate 6 woofer + MT23 tweeter that can do a perfect job. However Morel doesn't sell just the drivers and are available in form component set. Sourcing these from US will be better option.
The other choice I could think of is getting a Dynaudio MW162/GT along with the Morel MT23.
Dyn's and morel can handle a lot of power with ease without cone break up.
Infact they actually shine better with more power.

The other choice is Seas w16nx paired with Scan-Speak Illuminator R3004/6020-00 tweeter.
You could also look B&C 6NDL44 6-1/2" Neodymium Woofer + a morel Tweeter.
There's also Scanspeak Revelator 18w woofer. However these have power limitation but as long as they are crossed at 100hz at steeper slopes, it's voice coil can handle around 130-140Rms.

Personally I would look at the morel drivers, they are nice warm sounding plus they sound good with all music genres.
I suggest take it easy, listen to few setups before you decide in getting them.
Old 11th February 2011, 13:21   #15
BHPian

My 2 cents, I really don't know if it is really worth.

I know that there are still some audiophile HU's out there but to get one is really hard even though you have the dough for it.

If it was me I would get a Kenwood KDC x-7016 HU for 13K, it has got a superb SQ, TA and very very underrated.

Then I would go for a external processor like the bitone from Audison.

You can go 4 way active with it. The Audison bitone costs around 50K and you get a discount of 10 to 15% on the MRP.

So both the HU and the Bitone should cost you around 60K with bill and warranty.

Get a 3-way components from Rainbow and go 3-way active in the front with the bitone and the 4th channel for the sub...YOU CAN GO 4 WAY ACTIVE!!!!!!

The above are completely IMHO....if you don't like it, chuck it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks