Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 23:11   #1
BANNED

Focal solid 4 vs Image Dynamics i4500

Hey guys,

I am looking for an ICE install in my new Vento. I already have brand new Focal polyglass VR comps. I am looking for a good SQ amp to go along with them. For HU I am thinking ken x7016. So far of all the options have shortlisted the focal solid 4 and id i4500. I need a 70-75W rms per chann amp but with good clear signal. The specs for both look quite similar except for the S/n ratio being better for id. (althgh have heard we cant rely much on the numbers mentioned).

So wanting a review from anyone who has heard these amps and anyone who may be able to shed some light. Also does anyone in delhi-ncr have either of them installed which i can audition? My installer doesnt have that option.

Thx in advance
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:05   #2
BHPian

Re: Focal solid 4 vs Image Dynamics i4500

A lot of folks in NCR have been visiting Driven, so I suggest call them up to find out if they have the mentioned components and if you can audition them.

Dont make up your mind until you listen to them . U can PM Gunbir as well and he should be able to help you.
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:32   #3
BHPian

go for focal4 it is a good amp.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteavaya View Post
47 views and no replies.....
The reason probably being that few have heard the i4500 as well as the Solid 4.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Solid 4 I have installed too many times, overall good sounding amp for the price tag of 14k.

You can look at the ID too , I am sure it will be good,
Only thing I noticed about the solid 4 is if it's pushed really hard it heats quite a bit.
Old 23rd February 2011, 20:11   #6
BANNED

"The reason probably being that few have heard the i4500 as well as the Solid 4."

Navin sir, dont think thats the case.I think there are enough freaks here who have heard everything on planet earth and beyond. Just some people being lazy.

"go for focal4 it is a good amp."

Mate, was expecting something a little more descript than "it rocks", "that sucks".

"Solid 4 I have installed too many times, overall good sounding amp for the price tag of 14k.You can look at the ID too , I am sure it will be good,
Only thing I noticed about the solid 4 is if it's pushed really hard it heats quite a bit."

Hmm, interesting. Will check on that.

I know everyone has their own brand liking and its a very subjective thing. What I am looking for is one's experience with listening/using an amp and its pros and cons.So that it helps me make a decision.

As is the tbhp tradition, i have plunged myself into further doldrums by considering "used' genesis profile 4 and Harman Kardan CA470. My budget is max 20k and goal is strictly super clear signal (SQ setup).

Please provide your inputs on my dilemma. Is used HK or gen a gud option. Both have amazing SNR numbers. 105db and 100 db respectively. I know HK is discontinued and a less common choice. but there is no denying the specs it has. Any ideas?
Old 24th February 2011, 10:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

The HK CA470 is a very good amp, probably my favorite in the Harman Kardon set of products, I dont like the new GTO JBL amps in terms of SQ,
but the CA470 is a different creature, very smooth on the treble too compared to the Focal amp but it will be difficult to source one,

Genesis is really good, but I don't think you can get a new one for 20k
Old 24th February 2011, 11:11   #8
BHPian

ID is a decent Amp but isnt in the same league as HK or Genesis.. They are a class apart..

Getting a New HK CA470 is a very daunting task as imho production has stopped.

Getting a Genesis is also tough. Very less number of people would let go of such beautiful amplifiers. Sadly i am one of them :(

Last edited by Piyush_Vroom : 24th February 2011 at 11:41.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:47   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
"Solid 4 I have installed too many times, overall good sounding amp for the price tag of 14k.You can look at the ID too , I am sure it will be good,
Only thing I noticed about the solid 4 is if it's pushed really hard it heats quite a bit."

As is the tbhp tradition, i have plunged myself into further doldrums by considering "used' genesis profile 4 and Harman Kardan CA470. My budget is max 20k and goal is strictly super clear signal (SQ setup).

Please provide your inputs on my dilemma. Is used HK or gen a gud option. Both have amazing SNR numbers. 105db and 100 db respectively. I know HK is discontinued and a less common choice. but there is no denying the specs it has. Any ideas?
1. SNR figures can be misleading.
2. The HK 470 is probably the best VFM option if you can find one.
Old 24th February 2011, 16:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know everyone has their own brand liking and its a very subjective thing. What I am looking for is one's experience with listening/using an amp and its pros and cons.So that it helps me make a decision.
It's difficult to judge an amp in isolation as it's only one part of the equation that results in the sound that you hear. The HU and the speakers probably play a bigger role in determining the overall sound.

I am using the Focal Solid 4 with a Kenwood HU and JL speakers and it sounds amazing to me. It sounded a lot different with JVC HU/JL speakers, Kenwood HU/Focal speakers, Pioneer HU/Morel speakers etc. But it has never sounded lousy with any combination that I have heard till now.

The amp is very good value for the price at which its available here. It is not for those who listen to their ICE at sustained high volumes. It does heat up a lot and goes into protection for a few seconds once in a while. It has happened twice in my amp which is also powering an Infinity sub in bridged mode.
Old 3rd March 2011, 19:52   #11
BHPian

I have installed Kenwood HU7016 & Focal solid4 amp driving the polyglass components for front and access sub in my swift. The install is only 3 weeks old. It sounds very clean and good. The rear fill has polyglass coax driven by HU.
Old 4th March 2011, 21:46   #12
BHPian

why not Infinity Kappa 4 or kenwood X4s ? both are reference fit, fits the budget and IMO will have very good SQ also . i have scene it fitted under back seat of fiesta with out any heating problems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks