Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 18:56   #1
BHPian

Pioneer TS-WX77A

Hi all

Has anyone on our t-bhp had any sort of hearing joy or audition of this sub?

TS-WX77A Space-Saving Amplified Subwoofer (200W) - Pioneer

It seems to be available in the range of 20~25k in the black market. (Not sure)

I have heard 1 guy has got it in Hyderabad in his Swift.

Was looking at getting this for my Figo.

Any inputs appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Pioneer TS-WX77A-tswx77a_1_gallery.jpg  

Old 15th March 2011, 23:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pioneer TS-WX77A

It will definitely not go as low as a proper sub. Are you looking at it for compactness only? There are models available from Infinity and Blaupunkt (cheaper, with B&W) which would do a far better job under the front seats.
Old 16th March 2011, 09:41   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply.....

Have you actually heard this sub?

Yes, I am looking for this unit for its compactness. Another reason is to keep the sub inconspicuous.

Are there any other options.

One friend suggested a sub in the spare wheel well. But I feel in India, its always better to keep the spare tyre. You never know when you are caught out.
Old 16th March 2011, 09:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

My guess is that it will add some thub thub to your existing system but it far away from being compared to a good 10"-12" subwoofer. If you are familiar with the quality of bass you get from the subwoofers that come with the Bose Acoustimass systems you will know what I am talking about.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:49   #5
BHPian

If the wheel-well cannot be used as laxmanrk has mentioned, what are the alternatives to a 10/12 inch sub in the boot? The space under the seats is pretty less. Are there any 10'' subs that could fit in here or would we need a brace of 8 inchers in there.

Sorry about the flurry of questions. The dream of having a sub without losing out on the meager boot-space in modern-day hatches is something that many would love to experience.

Looking forward to a healthy discussion on the options. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th March 2011, 12:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Krishnan View Post
If the wheel-well cannot be used as laxmanrk has mentioned, what are the alternatives to a 10/12 inch sub in the boot? The space under the seats is pretty less. Are there any 10'' subs that could fit in here or would we need a brace of 8 inchers in there.

Sorry about the flurry of questions. The dream of having a sub without losing out on the meager boot-space in modern-day hatches is something that many would love to experience.

Looking forward to a healthy discussion on the options. Thanks in advance.
Actually there are quite a few shallow mount subs from alpine, kenwood, pioneer and other companies that can be fitted beneath the seat.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SW2501S2|S4

Kenwood - XR-W12F
Old 16th March 2011, 12:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are there any 10'' subs that could fit in here or would we need a brace of 8 inchers in there.
Many shallow subs with a NdFeB magnet system will fit. What they do is stick the magnet inside the Voice coil instead of outside it. Since NdFeB magnets are more compact for the same magnetic force it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post

Yes the Alpine can fit in a box about 8" deep. Remember the woofer needs some 2-3" space behind it to breathe so the back of the woofer cabinet can't be too close to the magnet system.
Old 16th March 2011, 13:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Actually there are quite a few shallow mount subs from alpine, kenwood, pioneer and other companies that can be fitted beneath the seat.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SW2501S2|S4

Kenwood - XR-W12F
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Many shallow subs with a NdFeB magnet system will fit. What they do is stick the magnet inside the Voice coil instead of outside it. Since NdFeB magnets are more compact for the same magnetic force it works.

Yes the Alpine can fit in a box about 8" deep. Remember the woofer needs some 2-3" space behind it to breathe so the back of the woofer cabinet can't be too close to the magnet system.

Hey Astleviz, thanks for the links. Navin, thanks for the leg-up on the NdFeB magnet system. Reading up more on those.

As you've said, even a shallow mount woofer would need a box that's 8" deep. What would be the trade-offs in terms of quality of bass and the quantum of bass when using these shallow mount subs over the conventional ones? Also, how would one compare the pioneers with the more quality brands?

Thanks in advance
Old 16th March 2011, 13:21   #9
BHPian

Yes, 8" would be ideal but one can also make do with 6-7 inches of space if space is tight. This is assuming that the box is made of .5" mdf, a mounting depth of 3" and another 2-3 inches of space between the magnet and the rear of the box. But if space allows, 8 inches would be ideal. One can then go in for .75" mdf box and about 3.5" of space between the magnet and the enclosure.
Old 16th March 2011, 13:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:

As you've said, even a shallow mount woofer would need a box that's 8" deep. What would be the trade-offs in terms of quality of bass and the quantum of bass when using these shallow mount subs over the conventional ones? Also, how would one compare the pioneers with the more quality brands?

Thanks in advance
Shallow mount subs are not very common so not too many people would have auditioned those, maybe Navin or der alte can chip in if they have experienced these. They may not have the punch (and I am only speculating) of regular subs but they certainly would go louder than the TS-WX77A in a right sized box and powered with a 300-500w rms mono amp.

Pioneers are ok, alpines in my opinion are better. JL audio also makes shallow mount subs, these are supposed to be pretty good but also a lot more expensive.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shallow mount subs are not very common so not too many people would have auditioned those,..Pioneers are ok, alpines in my opinion are better. JL audio also makes shallow mount subs, these are supposed to be pretty good but also a lot more expensive.
Without having compared a shallow mount sub to the Pio-WX77 it is not easy to pass judgement. However I can say this that almost all shallow amplified subs I have heard have failed to impress at least in terms of sound quality.

I hope the WX-77 turn out to be the exception 'cause there is a market for a good sounding shallow sub.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:29   #12
BHPian

Thanks all for your replies....

Whilst every one has been kind enough to offer alternatives and I must say I learnt some new stuff about shallow subs, I am still interested in the sound of this pioneer sub.

It has a nice feel and looks really nice.

I want some one to say yes! I have heard it and it is rubbish or great.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

The only shallow mount I have heard was a Pio. Was not impressed - no punch, notes run into each other.

There is another way - use a 10" or 12" regular sub mounted on the side opposite to the petrol inlet side, in a custom FG box. If the sub is angled (see the FG mounting in @BHAGWAN's thread in Sound off and Show off section), there will be more than enough space behind the sub. This way, one loses only a few inches of the boot floor on one side. Cost-wise, this will be cheaper than the Pio unit - custom box + sub + amp costing about ~15-18K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks