Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2013, 11:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland Stile launched @ 7.49 lakhs

Stile is good for Taxi business. Nice option for Innova i guess. Also it has better boot space than Innova which is very useful for highway / airport runs with big bags. 8 seater is a good option for taxi IMO as it can accommodate 4 people with all boot utilized for airport runs or can carry up to 7 people plus the driver. Also it has big advantage of much better fuel efficiency over Innova. K9 engine can easily give 16-17 KMPL on highway compared to Innova's 10-11 which is 40-50% saving. Lets see how it performs in the real world

Just one question here: How can they use model name as Stile when it was already used by Fiat as Palio Stile. Is it ok to use like this?

Last edited by aniketi : 9th October 2013 at 11:53.
aniketi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 12:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Just one question here: How can they use model name as Stile when it was already used by Fiat as Palio Stile. Is it ok to use like this?
Just like Mahindra , Tata, Hyundai and Maruti Suzuki have done earlier. Refer the following names:

Mahindra Bolero Storm : Tata Safari Storme

Mahindra Grand Armada : Tata Sumo Grande : Hyundai Grand i10 : Suzuki Grand Vitara

Maruti Suzuki Estilo Stile : Ashok Leyland Stile
desiaztec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 12:38   #18
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are registered model names, which belong to the manufacturer who owns the trademark. These cannot be used by anyone else.

Then there are unregistered names, that manufacturers use to denote variants, variant families, facelifts etc. These are usually suffixed to the model name and can be used by anyone. Things like LX, Vxi, ZX, LS etc. can be used as model suffixes and no one owns the right to these. It's a similar case for suffixes like Classic, Stile, Grande etc.

Palio is a registered trademark of Fiat in India (and in several other countries), so it cannot be used by other manufacturers in those markets. On the other hand, Stile must have been an unregistered suffix used by Fiat for the Palio facelift.

So Ashok Leyland were free to trademark the model name Stile. No one else can name their product (automobile) as Stile, unless Ashok Leyland sell the rights to the name.

However, I think other manufacturers can still use the word Stile as a suffix to a model name. I am not exactly sure of this, though. Just an educated guess, as Ford have the Classic (earlier known as Fiesta Classic), but Fiat have still launched the Linea Classic without any objection from Ford.

Last edited by RSR : 9th October 2013 at 12:40.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 13:22   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The driver doesn't get an armrest for his seat but the rear seats do. Strange! He is the one who is going to need it the most IMO especially with a console mounted gearshift. It might get tiring during the city commutes.
Thats because the Leyland version is more focussed towards the commercial markets as compared to the Nissan which was launched for private customers.
Old 9th October 2013, 14:08   #20
BHPian

LOL whats with the word STILE. I think already 3/4 cars named with that word.

Cant they find any other words from the English dictionary.

Cheers
Old 13th October 2013, 20:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Any pictures or update on the middle row window pane? It was supposed to be a sliding type on the Stile right?
This was one of the biggest grouses on the Evalia!! And if Nissan or AL has not paid any heed, I foresee a Evalia fate for the Stile very soon!
Even I am very curious to know

1) about sliding windows in second row

2) good to see ac vent in second row, but should also have it on the third row

3) Nissan should give its existing evalia customers a free upgrade of sliding windows and ac vent in second row
Old 13th October 2013, 21:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Some trivia, This is the first MPV or car to get the leyland badge after 50 odd years. For those of you not in the know leyland used to be a British brand truck maker who dabbled in cars until late 70's. I think they went bankrupt, and the Indian JV with hinduja's continued as Ashok leyland with the the same badge etc, therefore my comment
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 21:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Some trivia, This is the first MPV or car to get the leyland badge after 50 odd years. For those of you not in the know leyland used to be a British brand truck maker who dabbled in cars until late 70's. I think they went bankrupt, and the Indian JV with hinduja's continued as Ashok leyland with the the same badge etc, therefore my comment
Slight correction, Leyland was a British truck firm. Under the British governments nationalisation programme in the late 1960's. Austin, Morris, wolseley, Riley, MG, triumph, jaguar, rover were consolidated with Leyland and became British Leyland. It was an absolute disaster and Thatcher came along and broke everything up.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 12:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Does this happen only in India or do we have similar examples around the world?
I mean same car being sold by 2 different manufacturers.
Yes, the Nissan NV200/Evalia is sold in US markets as Chevrolet City Express panel van:

Ashok Leyland Stile launched @ 7.49 lakhs-2015chevroletcityexpressfront.jpg

You'd find similar analogies within the GM family - Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra. Both of them have more or less the same stuff inside and outside, with just a different badge.

Another one - Suzuki Splash (Ritz in India) and Opel/Vauxhall Agila sold in EU markets:

Ashok Leyland Stile launched @ 7.49 lakhs-1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
So, what's exactly different in the Stile from the Evalia, other than the badging?
The service network. Stile will be serviced by AL Light Vehicle service partners, like the DOST.

Quote:
All in all to me it looks like a half-hearted attempt by AL to test the passenger car market. Something I would be wary about if I decided to go for this car.
I'd say, a calculated shot at the taxi market, rather than passenger car market. The Stile is not sold as a car for personal use, rather's its target audience is fleet operators and hotel shuttles. The Evalia was the one targeted at personal car buyers like you and me.

[PS: All images copyright of the respective owners]
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 20:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

How is the service network of AL? And what's in it for the cabbies that the Xylo or the Sumo can't offer? Basically trying to understand why would one want to pick this over the other established products in the market.

It's been a while since the Evalia was launched, am yet to spot a single specimen (private or commercial) on road!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 14th October 2013 at 20:41.
Old 14th October 2013, 23:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
How is the service network of AL? And what's in it for the cabbies that the Xylo or the Sumo can't offer? Basically trying to understand why would one want to pick this over the other established products in the market.

It's been a while since the Evalia was launched, am yet to spot a single specimen (private or commercial) on road!
I did spot a couple, more than a couple, actually. But they are a rare breed.
Old 16th October 2013, 15:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
How is the service network of AL? And what's in it for the cabbies that the Xylo or the Sumo can't offer? Basically trying to understand why would one want to pick this over the other established products in the market...
Stile will be sold through 130 odd outlets. Its not present all India, and available only in select states.
Sumo is the cheapest of the lot. Tavera and Stile almost starts from the range where Sumo ends and Xylo has a variant which is lesser than Stile. Tavera has better sales due to improved fuel kmpl compared to Sumo and others. I guess Stile should also do well considering the claimed average of 19.5kmpl. Additionally being a monocque it should have better ride comfort and a comparatively upmarket taxi feel.
But until otherwise we see a good numbers on road, we really can't comment anything on these advantages.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 16th October 2013 at 15:37.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 21:10   #28
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Stile is good for Taxi business. Nice option for Innova i guess. Also it has better boot space than Innova which is very useful for highway / airport runs with big bags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Yes, the Nissan NV200/Evalia is sold in US markets as Chevrolet City Express panel van:
I'd say, a calculated shot at the taxi market, rather than passenger car market. The Stile is not sold as a car for personal use, rather's its target audience is fleet operators and hotel shuttles. The Evalia was the one targeted at personal car buyers like you and me.
The iconoic NY taxicab has been replaced by the NV200 earlier this year. The NV200 has been nominated as THE NY taxi and will hold that previlige for the next ten years - one can safely assume that there will be an e-version in the offing during this stint.

Quote:
I think they went bankrupt, and the Indian JV with hinduja's continued as Ashok leyland with the the same badge etc, therefore my comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Slight correction, Leyland was a British truck firm. Under the British governments nationalisation programme in the late 1960's. Austin, Morris, wolseley, Riley, MG, triumph, jaguar, rover were consolidated with Leyland and became British Leyland. It was an absolute disaster and Thatcher came along and broke everything up.
In the late 80's Leyland trucks was taken over by DAF. The old facility in lancashire continues to produce DAF branded LF (medium), CF (med / heavy) and XF (heavy) range of trucks and is gearing up to start production of Euro 6 LF & CF models with Cummins engines.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th October 2013 at 14:12. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 16th October 2013, 21:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Hey Ajmat...a correction from my end as well . I don't think anything I posted was inaccurate. At best you have expanded and or fleshed out what I stated as outcomes in a concise fashion. But yes you have really given the detail that I was to lazy to put across or type, which is why you are a mod and I am not. Cheerio

Last edited by canonball : 16th October 2013 at 21:36.
Old 16th October 2013, 22:36   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Ajmat...a correction from my end as well . I don't think anything I posted was inaccurate. At best you have expanded and or fleshed out what I stated as outcomes in a concise fashion. But yes you have really given the detail that I was to lazy to put across or type, which is why you are a mod and I am not. Cheerio
What I am trying to correct is the fact that Leyland never dabbled in cars, they were merged the most of the UK car companies but beyond financial controls and LCVs, there were very little operational interfaces.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks