looks like it is going to the mumbai speedrun

v16 on what car????

MOST PROBABLY ON A ZEN
Old 1st February 2006, 13:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

LOLLLLLL Nice one Zklasse!!!!
Old 1st February 2006, 14:16   #18
BHPian

It could be an engine for one of those tremendously huge dump trucks used in mining and quarrying operations. They are usually dis-assembled and then re-assembled piece by piece wherever they need to be used. It is definately one of those. I have some ship engines being used as generators in one of my factories and they definately dont look like that.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:45   #19
BHPian

it seems like a marine engine .. from a tug most probably
it can also be used for power generation such in a captive power plant ...
it could be on its way to aalang as scrap ???

Ram - how do you know about the volvo ?? that its a 6x4 ?? what field are you in ??
Old 1st February 2006, 15:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

D@m, u guys spied me transporting the new engine for my Sumo.

My tuner has promised to turbo-charge it and extract more horses.
Old 1st February 2006, 16:14   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
D@m, u guys spied me transporting the new engine for my Sumo.

My tuner has promised to turbo-charge it and extract more horses.
hee heeee... yeah, right!
Old 1st February 2006, 16:15   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

MORE POWER! Damn, That is one mean bad boy.

Getting back to the first page and lusting...

GTO
Old 1st February 2006, 16:38   #23
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey
it seems like a marine engine .. from a tug most probably
it can also be used for power generation such in a captive power plant ...
it could be on its way to aalang as scrap ???

Ram - how do you know about the volvo ?? that its a 6x4 ?? what field are you in ??
Automobiles have been my hobby from 1961 to date.

I was born and educated in Bombay (called Mumbai since 1996) and have lived and worked eight years overseas.

After completing my BE in electronics & communications engineering in 1980, I worked 25 years in the software industry in USA, Canada, Netherlands, Sweden and Japan.

Having worn many hats from R&D engineer to founder-entrepreneur president, I currently manage the software division at one of India's most promising tier-1 engineering tech. services companies. We develop CAD products, bespoke CAD/CAM/CAE software in the ship-design (outfitting), diecasting, heat exchangers, configurators, and cataloging space, and deliver independent third-party software product testing and localization engineering services to Fortune 500 engineering companies in the US, Europe and the Orient.

I have a home in Chembur, Mumbai and Aundh, Pune.
Old 1st February 2006, 16:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Automobiles have been my hobby from 1961 to date.
<snip>....
..We develop CAD products, bespoke CAD/CAM/CAE software in the ship-design (outfitting), diecasting, heat exchangers, configurators, and cataloging space, and deliver independent third-party software product testing and localization engineering services to Fortune 500 engineering companies in the US, Europe and the Orient.
I can very well imagine a curious toddler in 1961 splitting open his toy car and racing it all over floor
BTW, If yours is a CAD/CAM/PDM company, isn't it the one with headquarters in Hinjewadi, Pune with a branch in Mumbai?
Old 1st February 2006, 18:23   #25
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
I can very well imagine a curious toddler in 1961 splitting open his toy car and racing it all over floor
Thank you RX135, for indulging me.

Back in 1961, the BEST (Bombay Electric Supply & Transport (now renamed Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport)) still ran double decker trams.

Most toys were made of offset-printed steel sheet (tin) that was formed and shaped by deep-drawing in a die. Toy cars with grooved wheels and rubber-tires were an unheard-of luxury. Wheels were made of two shaped disks of pressed tin, press fitted together and the axle was crimped to keep the wheel from falling off.

Battery operated toys were a rare luxury. But friction-power was ubiquitous.
To operate a friction-powered toy, you rubbed its wheels on a horizontal surface.
The wheels spun-up a gear box that stored energy in a heavy flywheel.
A spring-steel strip rubbed against a spinning pinion in the gearbox and transmitted the vibrations to a little cardboard box, creating a siren-like sound.

I also had an all-steel ride-on pedal-crank jeep CJ3B. It was red with white wheels and white stamped-steel steering wheel.

But my first toy car as a pre-schooler was a leaf-green 1959 Chevrolet Impala 4-door sedan with white seats and white steering wheel. It was made by a company called Morgan-Milton of Calcutta. They made aluminium die-cast toy cars in the 1/43rd scale.

They say, childhood memories are unforgettable. The 1959 Impala probably seeded the affinity for very long, wide and low American Cars.
See my Pontiac Safari Wagon.

Last edited by Ram : 1st February 2006 at 18:30.
Old 1st February 2006, 18:27   #26
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
BTW, If yours is a CAD/CAM/PDM company, isn't it the one with headquarters in Hinjewadi, Pune with a branch in Mumbai?
We have four offices in the city of Pune, India
and one each in Chicago and Detroit, USA,
Cambridge, UK and Dalian, China.
Old 1st February 2006, 18:31   #27
BHPian

marine engine

engine Id plate

Turbocharger for the engine
Old 1st February 2006, 19:08   #28
BHPian

You simply have to see an engine room of a ship to believe these things - running on heavy oil - the auxiliary engine(s) run on diesel - used in port while docking - the main engine's used while at sea.

The space and noise are overwhelming - you have to shout out loud to make yourself heard , it's hot and you have to wear those boiler suits on top and smells of oil - the engine room of a ship's the most amazing part....I'll try dig up some old photos of engine rooms - must be having a few....

zaphod

Last edited by zaphod : 1st February 2006 at 19:11.
Old 1st February 2006, 19:21   #29
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
You simply have to see an engine room of a ship to believe these things - running on heavy oil - the auxiliary engine(s) run on diesel - used in port while docking - the main engine's used while at sea.

The space and noise are overwhelming - you have to shout out loud to make yourself heard , it's hot and you have to wear those boiler suits on top and smells of oil - the engine room of a ship's the most amazing part....I'll try dig up some old photos of engine rooms - must be having a few....

zaphod
As a land-lubber, I remember being awed by the engine room of the RMS Titanic in the movie, with the giant slow-reciprocating connecting rods of her two upside-down 75 rpm, 30,000 bhp 4-cylinder triple expansion reciprocating steam engines.

Wasn't diesel or heavy fuel oil, but can imagine your scene: boiler suits and heat and all!

Last edited by Ram : 1st February 2006 at 19:25.
Old 1st February 2006, 20:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
As a land-lubber, I remember being awed by the engine room of the RMS Titanic in the movie, with the giant slow-reciprocating connecting rods of her two upside-down 75 rpm, 30,000 bhp 4-cylinder triple expansion reciprocating steam engines.
I'm a land lubber as well :-) My dad's a Chief Engineer - has worked on Bulk Carriers, Reefers and Containers and also in shipbuilding- Me and my mom used to join him during my summer hols when I was in school .....

I'm a comp sc/mba guy myself....

I remember the engine room of the bulk carrier M.V. Mineral Dampier (R.I.P) - had a 28000 hp engine to propel it's 170,000 ton DWT - could manage 14 knots in good seas and no cargo and around 7 when loaded.

The biggest engine dad's worked on is a ~50,000 hp Sulzer - in a smallish container ship...

cheers

zaphod.

P.S - Dampier was built by ...guess...
Hyundai !!!!

Unfortunately it sank around 10 years back after a collision - IIRC everyone aboard was lost.
The behemoth even had a small swimming pool on board !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks