Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 19:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hino engine

Just something that came to mind. To save costs you may go for a reconditioned engine. Tata has a special division which reconditions engines, and gives a few lakh kms warranty on it.

Basically you take an old engine and they completely recondition the block/head and according to your needs replace any parts that require to be changed. They can even upgrade some of the parts from old engines to its newer generation parts. These engines are very very close to a brand new engine.

This should cost considerably lesser than buying a whole engine as a replacement.

@Ashley2
Does Leyland provide such a facility??

Last edited by julupani : 18th August 2011 at 19:25.
Old 18th August 2011, 20:04   #17
Zed
BHPian

@ julupani - I guess the engine you were referring to the 3 Litre Dicor on the safari ?
I can probably speculate that the 4SP dicor and the 497 have common architecture, with different internal bore sizes & power ratings. Your suggestion to stick with a Tata engine for the Safari & your question regarding a suitable transmission for the 4CT engine makes sense.
Old 18th August 2011, 20:17   #18
Zed
BHPian

[quote=samm;2472348]I guess AL replaced the 4cyl Iveco engines with 4 cyl Hinos. But they where using 4 cyl Ivecos in 709 & 909 series, but now those models doesnt seem to exist. I dont see any LCVs now? Are you sure the H-Series that AL make now are 4 cyl?

Al has both 4 and 6 cylinder versions of the H series engines from Hino. What they have stopped using is the old AL series - the ones that date back to British Leyland. ( Trivia : Leyland UK is now part of the DAF group and still continue to make medium duty trucks under the DAF brand in UK. DAF is part of the american PACCAR group that owns Peterbilt and Kenworth trucks in the US)

Coming back to Leyland - The partnership with Iveco resulted in the Cargo LCV range which did not really do well in India. It was after this unsuccessful episode & severing ties with Iveco that AL introduced the Hino 4 cyld on their ICVs and MCVs - starting in the early 2000's. And they pretty much quit the LCV space leaving it to Tata, Eicher, Swaraj and later M&M to slug it out in the segment.
However the current AL-Nissan JV is a second attempt at the LCV segment and the first offering is the recently launched small commercial vehicle (SCV) - the Dost. Pardon the acronyms!
Currently the 6 and 4 cyld Hino engines have a 60:40 or 70:30 split in terms of overall production volumes at Hosur to the best of my knowledge - meaning the 4 cyld H engine is a high volume product.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 21:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
But they where using 4 cyl Ivecos in 709 & 909 series, but now those models doesnt seem to exist. I dont see any LCVs now?.
The Iveco collaboration ended but the cab is still used and is called the E-comet series.
Old 19th August 2011, 07:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
@ julupani - I guess the engine you were referring to the 3 Litre Dicor on the safari ?
I can probably speculate that the 4SP dicor and the 497 have common architecture, with different internal bore sizes & power ratings. Your suggestion to stick with a Tata engine for the Safari & your question regarding a suitable transmission for the 4CT engine makes sense.
Yes, that is the engine I was referring to. And the bore is the same, the 497SP is a shorter stroke engine, compared to the 497 engine.

Right not, in my view, the best option is to buy a 2nd hand Tata 497 engine along with the gearbox. Get the engine reconditioned by Tata and replace any gears in the gearbox if required.
Old 19th August 2011, 09:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@Ashley2
Does Leyland provide such a facility??
AL is doing this for years!

But dont go to reconditioned engines either from AL or TM unless otherwise the engines you are looking for is extremely rare and not in production.

If you have newer ones you can always have a piece of mind!
Old 19th August 2011, 10:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

What's the problem in reconditioning engines?? Tata gives a 1.5lakh km 18month warranty on reconditioned engines as well. And I am sure you cant find a better engine at the price. The same should be true for Leyland as well.

Of course, if your budget allows you to go in for a brand new one, it's obviously better.
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
I guess AL replaced the 4cyl Iveco engines with 4 cyl Hinos.

Coming back to Leyland - The partnership with Iveco resulted in the Cargo LCV range which did not really do well in India. It was after this unsuccessful episode & severing ties with Iveco that AL introduced the Hino 4 cyld on their ICVs and MCVs - starting in the early 2000's.
A small correction.

The 4 cylinder Hino engine was introduced way back in 1987 much before the collaboration with Iveco materialsed. It was offered on AL Chital, an intermediate CV. It was pitted against Tata 608, the failed bigger brother of 407 which had a 6 cylinder engine admeasuring 4.4 litres. The USP advanced by AL marketing guys used to be that Chital had a 4 cylinder engine versus 608's 6 cylinder, hence was more economical. Somehow, even Chital didn't do well in the market.

Tata also offered a similar model called 807 which had a 3.5 litre Mercedes derived 4-cylinder engine. It was TML's pre-emptive attack aimed at the upcoming Indo-Jap LCVs. Chital was similar to 807 and I always wondered why AL guys compared it to 608 instead of 807.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Yes, that is the engine I was referring to. And the bore is the same, the 497SP is a shorter stroke engine, compared to the 497 engine.
497 stroke: 128 MM
497 SP stroke: 100 MM

Last edited by directinjection : 22nd August 2011 at 18:14.
Old 25th December 2013, 19:26   #24

Hi people. I have recently found a hino w04 engine which came in the diesel Jongas...apart from the original 3 speed gearbox, I am not sure as to which other gearbox we can mate it to.

I am looking for a 5 speed gearbox, currently I have a isuzu trooper 4x4 gearbox will this do? Else kindly recommend other 4x4 gearboxes which can be sourced locally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks