Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2012, 21:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Starting up a Transport Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
This is not starting a transport business as such but planning to attach a vehicle to a transport company.

Have zeroed on the Ashok Leyland Dost and also took a test drive.
I were in your position, i will first find out the transport co that i would like to work with and find out what type of vehicle they need. Instead of sticking with Dost, find out what type of vehicle the co needs, There could be other vehicles that suits the co better. Talk to target companies first, before buying the vehicle.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 10:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Starting up a Transport Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
One piece of advice - "If your itch is to own a vehicle, then buy one and attach it to some Agency. If your itch is to run the business, then don't buy vehicles, get them attached to you"
This is very right as I talk with big transport agancies in my work. Couple of them have only 30% owned fleet. Rest of them are attached. When you are 100% sure of a consistent load to planned destinations , you can buy your own fleet but the sad thing is unless its a contract* you can never.

Hearing this just dont be disappointed. If you are really serious do the following.
  • Get in touch with lorry brokers of all major industries near your region.
  • Make a questionnire, interview atleast 15 major and 60 small timers. Get the trend. [ Being an MBA grad, take this as your STP]
  • Understand from the response where the truck fleets are coming from other than those owned by drivers in short the funder.
  • Meet the capital investors of the truck fleet. Interview them.
  • Understand on the returns.
Cross check your figures with more people in the industry.

Take the plunge or walk away from the water in search of better spot.

*Qty Contracts wherein the only work is transfering load from point A to B

PS : I know someone in your family is into the related business but first hand knowledge is +++must when you are planning to invest your own capital. Never depend on a single source of information when your capital is at stake.
maxbhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks