Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 08:59   #1
BHPian

Diesel tank Sizes of Commercial Vehicles

I need to know the tank sizes (dimensions) of various tata and leyland trucks right from 4 ton to 40 ton capacities.
In the web brochures and normal source of "Open to public" documents, I could only find tank capacities (as in how many liters they hold) but not the dimensions.

Request CV experts to please help. I especially need the tank dimensions of Tata LPT 1109, 1613, 2515/2516, 3518 and Leyland 4019, 4023(the spectacular flop model) and 1616.

Thanks in advance to the erudite Team Bhp Community.
Old 27th October 2011, 17:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesel tank Sizes of Commercial Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
I need to know the tank sizes (dimensions) of various tata and leyland trucks right from 4 ton to 40 ton capacities.
Any particular reason?

The tanks are generally square cylinders but if you are looking to add them to your Safari, I'm not sure if there is enough space.

BTW a 407 has a 70L Tank and some 40 Tonners come with 500L dual tanks as well.

Cheers
Old 27th October 2011, 19:32   #3
BHPian

No No, I do not want to fiox a tank like that in my Safari.

I am testing a Fuel Sensor, a capacitative digital fuel sensor, which can accurately measure fuel content and consumption. But I need exact dimensions of the tank in which it will be installed.
This is a commercial venture of offering fuel and mobile asset tracking solutions to Transport and Logistics Operators.
Old 4th November 2011, 23:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
No No, I do not want to fiox a tank like that in my Safari.

I am testing a Fuel Sensor, a capacitative digital fuel sensor, which can accurately measure fuel content and consumption. But I need exact dimensions of the tank in which it will be installed.
This is a commercial venture of offering fuel and mobile asset tracking solutions to Transport and Logistics Operators.
Wow that is really a great work. Cheers to you and your team. It would be of great help to vehicle owners
cosmopolitan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 01:02   #5
BHPian

@sen 2009

why dont you try going to a highway dhaba or a truck stop and measure the tank dimensions by taking drivers consent, it would be more accurate and faster way to do things ?
Old 5th November 2011, 11:56   #6
BHPian

@ jatimpatel - Yeah, I have started doing that.
This has its downsides also, as truckers normally do not appreciate it. :-)
But there are models that are not easily found. Maybe someone in the team-bhp has knowledge about those. Hence is this thread.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:02   #7
BHPian

@sen2009
why dont you try going to service centers or dealerships and ask ?
they will sure to help you out or try finding workshop manual online or at good truck repair garages
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

How you plan to take care of the density variation; I have seen diesel density variation between 800 to 845 at various fuel stations in Northern part of India.
Old 30th August 2012, 08:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
No No, I do not want to fix a tank like that in my Safari.

Congrats to your great effort. I would just like to bring forward my few observations in Commercial Vehicles generally. In India, the normal fleet operator will have fixed targets for fuel consumption and so the driver will drive according to that target. The next thing is that most trucks go in a regular route over and over again. So, they have fixed stops enroute at Dhabas and Diesel Filling Stations as they are a regular there. This will mean that they will rarely look down at a fuel gauge for checking the fuel level in the tank.

Quote:
@ jatimpatel - Yeah, I have started doing that.
This has its downsides also, as truckers normally do not appreciate it. :-)
But there are models that are not easily found. Maybe someone in the team-bhp has knowledge about those. Hence is this thread.

As far as Tata Heavy Commercial Vehicles are concerned, they usually have fuel tanks in 3 configurations. Rectangular cuboid of 250 liters of roughly 1.2 feet length x 1 feet width x 1 feet height, rectangular cuboid of 350 liters of roughly 1.8 feet length x 1 feet width x 1 feet height and the Long cylindrical tank of 400 liters of roughly 3.5 feet length x 1.4 feet diameter. All these dimensions are approximate visual estimations from my end. I do not have exact values. Its better if you can check out a truck stop.

The Prima range has been omitted here as they already have a built in digital sensor for showing the left over fuel quantity in the tank and to show the instantaneous fuel consumption. Both these information can be accessed through the MID in the instrument cluster.

Leyland U-Trucks have an optional Fibre re-inforced Plastic fuel tank of 300 liters capacity with physical dimensions of roughly 1.7 feet length x 1.2 feet width and 1.5 feet height. No idea about the regular steel tanks as I have not observed them up close.

Hope this information was of some help to you. Wishing you the very best of luck with your venture. Do keep us updated on the proceedings.
Surya-TJet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks