Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 22:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Extra Large Vehicles - Registered as Private - Why

This question has plagued me for a long time. Google yielded no results, so what better place to post it than TBHP.

I have noticed that extra large equipment like mobile lifters and cranes are registered as a "White Board" or a private owner board. As far as i am informed ALL commerical vehicles should and must be registered as a "yellow board".

Ordinary equipment and bulldozers in general (backhoes, 2 tonners etc) are registered as yellow board only.

In Mumbai take the example of cranes that facilitate the Mumbai Metro project like the one in the pic below. The vehicle has a white board registration similar to private vehicles. I am sure no one will buy that for a private vehicle.

Thoughts please.

Extra Large Vehicles - Registered as Private - Why-truckmobilecraneservices.jpg
Old 5th January 2012, 07:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Extra Large Vehicles - Registered as Private - Why

Mods note: Thread moved to Commercial Vehicles in India section.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:09   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I too have noticed the same thing. Most of the heavy vehicles (especially the ones used for construction.... cranes, bull-dozers etc) are privately registered. I guess this maybe due to the fact that commercial registration costs more than private registration.

Even towing vans used by the RTO are privately registered.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

I see many tractors and autos with white board in Bangalore

Is it because vehicles are for their personal use (doing own work not available for hiring)?

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th January 2012 at 09:27.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:51   #5
BHPian

I believe this is because, these vehicles are strictly not in transportation for public use. The cranes is strictly used for moving stuff and just needs a registration number (unique id) to move from one place to another in a public road. The same applies to lorries having borewell rigs. Only rigs are for hire which is attached to the vehicle. It is not really transporting anything which is owned by general public.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 10:16   #6
BHPian

As far as tractors, these are treated under two categories. First one is for agricultural use and other one is for commercial use. Agricultural ones get white boards and have subsidy to certain percentage on road tax, obviously these cant be used for commercial purposes.
Old 10th January 2012, 22:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

As per the definition of a "commerical" vehicle in india as per Government's understanding is that any vehicle that is NOT used for personal activities, but for "servicing" other people and not ONLY restricted to self-service, be it Buses or trucks.

The Crane that is portrayed in the picture is definetly facilitating a "commerical" activity (a.k.a Metro Rail). On the same lines, if the buldozer (Backhoe) digging a trench is registered as a commercial vehicle, why not the crane which does the lifting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks