Tata Indica 14 12.84%
Tata Indigo 21 19.27%
Others please specify 5 4.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 13:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Your favourite hatch / sedan / MUV for a taxi

UK has a model specific to city taxi and in the US they have certain car models of cars that are sold mainly for the taxi business. In our country though in the earlier days it was the Ambassadors and Premier Padminis which were the mainstay of the taxi industry and now dominated majorly by the Indicas and the Indigos. Also there are people carriers such as the Innova which is highly sought after especially for the long distance runs. Now is the time to vote and list down the car you like the most for a taxi and the reason for the same. So happy hailing your favourite taxi!
Old 15th February 2012, 13:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Your favourite hatch / sedan / MUV for a taxi

For a taxi, the rear seat comfort and space is what matters with adequate boot space. Good AC is added advantage.
For average Cabbie, trouble free engine and a no-nonsense overall pacakge is what counts.

My vote goes for Verito / Logan.
Next close would be Indigo, though didnt vote for it.
Old 15th February 2012, 14:15   #3
BHPian

My vote goes to Santro for the small cabs - Smooth ride in comparison to other maruti & tata variants.

As for the sedans, etios has slightly better ride & seating than the indigos of the world.
Like the new look of the tab cabs in Mumbai as well.
Old 15th February 2012, 14:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

From a passenger perspective, I have been hugely impressed by Indigo Marina. That car has oodles of space for the rear occupants. The big boot helps store all the luggage.

For intra-city travelling, Verito is a good option; it is quite comfortable as well.

Sumo helps you in going from point A to point B but lacks in comfort - no headrests*, no a/c*, dysfunctional seatbelts*, ride ain't exactly comfortable etc.
(* : this is due to how the cabs are maintained)

For a larger group, Innova is probably the best bet.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:37   #5
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2012 at 15:39.
Vasuki is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th February 2012, 15:41   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If I'm going to be driven around, my priorities are:

- Nicely contoured backseat
- Space
- Cushion'y ride quality

The Indigo, Verito & Etios are hard to beat amongst the sedans. If there are a lot of people / luggage, then nothing like the Innova. The Tavera also makes for a good cab as it has very decent road manners.

The Sumo is way too soft and thus, the body roll can be disconcerting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
My vote goes to Santro for the small cabs - Smooth ride in comparison to other maruti & tata variants.
Santro? Smooth ride? The rear is bumpy as bumpy can be.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:52   #7
BHPian

Vista is the most comfortable cab I have sat in.
Sumo Grande : Most comfortable MUV cab.
Old 15th February 2012, 16:08   #8
BHPian

Though I've voted for the Innova anyways, I would like to add that if the cost/fare/tariff element is brought into the picture, the Indica would win hands down in terms for sheer value for money from the passengers point of view. At my place, you can hire Indica(AC) for as low as INR 6-7/km or INR 70/hour, the Indigo's come at around 80-90 INR/Hour and so do the Swifts(hatchback LDis), the Dzire can be had for almost the same price south of INR 10/km. The Innova on the other hand commands northwards of INR 15-16/km(that too mostly base-mid variants).
For city dwellings throughout the day, a well kept Indica would serve fine and be light on the pocket too. Except for airport drop/pickup i don't think a sedan(boot) is needed for such city duty, except if the passenger wants to be seen in a larger car. End of the day, i'll save upwards of 1k on fare vis-a-vis an Innova. Heck, even a 100-200 km highway round-trip would be fine in an Indica if there's less than 4 passengers and again at the end of the trip you save 1.5k INR atleast against a similar journey in an Innova.
However, traveling in an Innova is absolute bliss amongst any other vehicle in the taxi segment. Most of the time my office provides me with Innova taxis for both in city as well as factory visits spanning around 500km roundtrips. But for the Innova, such journeys would have been very fatigue inducing. Not only is the vehicle supremely comfortable, but it also aids in saving time and preserving energy of the occupants to effectively complete their assignments. So, if money is not a concern, the Innova is, by far, the best vehicle to travel in this segment.
Old 15th February 2012, 16:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

I vote for the verito in the sedan class due to its sheer space and comfort (ride quality).
Old 15th February 2012, 17:22   #10
BHPian

I am a big guy and if I were to sit in one of the Mumbai Alto Taxis, the taxi's front wheels would probably loose traction and lift of the ground. At least that is the way I picture it, never tried it out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Though I've voted for the Innova anyways, I would like to add that if the cost/fare/tariff element is brought into the picture, ....
+1 to mi2, and a good point bought forth, but I think no matter what I would choose the Innova above all other cars when it comes to Taxi travel and that is what my vote goes to.

Last edited by PGNarain : 15th February 2012 at 17:23.
Old 15th February 2012, 17:38   #11
BHPian

I'm 6 foot tall and the other day (or night) I had to call a cab to get home and this Indigo comes in to pick me up. I was skeptical initially as crappy leg room freaks me out but it was a peasant surprise when I sunk in the back of the cab. I am not going to say, I can stretch my legs like on a bed, but rather that it was VERY comfortable. And the Innova, any day, for long journeys.
Old 15th February 2012, 17:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Indica - for max 3 passengers + driver in city/short routes as its the cheapest taxi for a common man.

Innova for an outstation getaway with luggage/long highway trip.
Old 15th February 2012, 17:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Santro? Smooth ride? The rear is bumpy as bumpy can be.
It may be just me but, the CNG ones that running the roads in Mumbai right now are much better than sitting in the alto, wagon r, omni, indica, etc. They are quiet silent as well. There is some defenite change in this new ones, as my friend's older santro did not behave so well.
Old 15th February 2012, 18:23   #14
BHPian

I vote in the following order :

1. Verito : Space, ride quality, maintenance.
2. Indica Vista : Space, ride quality.
3. Indigo : Space Ride quality.

For a taxi MUV, it would be Innova anytime because of superior ride quality and space.

P.S:- I wonder why Manza is missing from the list.
Old 15th February 2012, 18:36   #15
BHPian

Voted for Other - had been an Innova fan but my pick today is the Xylo.

We have traveled quite a bit in Innova, Bolero, Sumo, Xylo, Indica and Indigo. My folks were all praise for the all-round comfort in Xylo. Always found that the Tata taxis were consistently ill-maintained and I now never opt for one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks